PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why Dr. Paul never accepted Lance Armstrongs debate invitation?

LibertyEagle
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
He's on MSNBC and Dr. Paul was not listed as going to attend. I wonder why he didn't accept? Seems to me we need to be using every opportunity offered us to get out in front of people. I just don't get it.

brumans
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Strange.. according to their official website only Mike Huckabee and Sam Brownback are scheduled to be there.

http://www.ambassadorsevents.com/livestrong/repubdate.htm

Here's another link that says the same info, but also includes Chuck Grassley

http://www.campaignsandelections.com/ia/events/?id=736

LibertyEagle
08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes, but supposedly EVERYONE was invited. That was what Lance said some time back and I have no reason to doubt him.

billm317
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
He's on MSNBC and Dr. Paul was not listed as going to attend. I wonder why he didn't accept? Seems to me we need to be using every opportunity offered us to get out in front of people. I just don't get it.

This event is in Iowa. Dr. Paul is likely going to be in Texas all next week. I'm purely guessing, but this is why I feel he and others won't attend.

brumans
08-24-2007, 05:23 PM
If this is going to be a two-hour televisied event on MSNBC and there are only two other people besides Ron Paul.. I think it would be worth a trip to show up. It could get him a lot of exposure, and the questions would most likely be distributed evenly.

maxmerkel
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
If this is going to be a two-hour televisied event on MSNBC and there are only two other people besides Ron Paul.. I think it would be worth a trip to show up. It could get him a lot of exposure, and the questions would most likely be distributed evenly.

i would think so too !!! only 2 other people ??? ron paul MUST do this !

0zzy
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

yep. Tell Paul! :)

AcidReign
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Armstrong wants government funds to pay for cancer research. It is his focus. I don't think that is something Dr. Paul would embrace. That said, maybe he should accept anyway.

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
i would think so too !!! only 2 other people ??? ron paul MUST do this !

Yes, I agree. Does anybody know what Ron Paul's stance may be?

I know he wouldn't be for taxpayer funding. I just had this random idea though and wonder what people think. Since the president can have a lot of influence over people, he could set aside a donation fund and encourage people to donate money to it. The money can be used either as a prize awarded to a company that makes successful advances toward a cure, or the money can be used to support promising technologies in search of a better treatment or a cure.

Would Dr. Paul support something like this? I think it could raise a lot more money than say, church donations.

Cowlesy
08-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Armstrong wants government funds to pay for cancer research. It is his focus. I don't think that is something Dr. Paul would embrace. That said, maybe he should accept anyway.

I agree. Armstrong wants to hear how the candidates are going to pump more cash into research. We all know there would be more funding for research if there weren't so many direct and indirect barriers to private funding, but that appropriate argument would probably be too cerebral for that audience's expectations.

Time better spent in Texas.

Shink
08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Cancer will not be cured anyway.

maxmerkel
08-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I agree. Armstrong wants to hear how the candidates are going to pump more cash into research. We all know there would be more funding for research if there weren't so many direct and indirect barriers to private funding, but that appropriate argument would probably be too cerebral for that audience's expectations.

Time better spent in Texas.

hmmm i don't think so, airtime is airtime !!! since paul is so well articulated he could explain his position without looking bad - i would even think this would earn him a lot of respect to defend his no government spending position in front of a maybe hostile talk show host.

he could refer to people like gates or buffet who created charity funds equipped with 10s and 10s of billions of dollars - and even refer to lance himself and the way he raises attention to the problem of cancer and his compassion and...... phuuuu million reasons why the government shouldn do it

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM

That is not true. It could eventually be cured using nanobots. :D

Shink
08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I admire your optimism and have no further comment that wouldn't get this fasttracked to hot topics. ;)

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Even if it's not cured, there is always room for better diagnosis and treatment. This Armstrong forum would also give Dr. Paul a great chance to express his views about free-markets and how they would benefit our health industry. One of Lance Armstrong's biggest concerns is the amount of people that can not afford good treatment.

richard1984
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM

I agree. That's what I was going to say.

It might actually make him look bad because the people there want government to help. Ron Paul would have to explain a lot of stuff to them to make them understand how he would help cancer research. People who want government's help with everything are too prejudice (especally at stuff like this) to listen to Dr. Paul's message. "I want instant gratificant!" they say. "I want government to give us money!" Of course...they could just keep their own money themselves, and then donate it themselves...but somehow that's a difficult concept for people to wrap their minds and hearts around. I don't understand why...it's seems so obviously better!!! :rolleyes:

DjLoTi
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Cancer and AIDS will be cured in the next 75 years, guaranteed.

richard1984
08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
hmmm i don't think so, airtime is airtime !!! since paul is so well articulated he could explain his position without looking bad - i would even think this would earn him a lot of respect to defend his no government spending position in front of a maybe hostile talk show host.

he could refer to people like gates or buffet who created charity funds equipped with 10s and 10s of billions of dollars - and even refer to lance himself and the way he raises attention to the problem of cancer and his compassion and...... phuuuu million reasons why the government shouldn do it

Excellent point. I do worry that people are going to hear the candidates say "As president, I will help fund cancer research."
It's so ridiculous that people might be turned off by that, though. I mean, look at the success of the "Live Strong" wrist bands!!! They started a whole fashion trend that still continues today. They were/are more popular than the "WWJD" bracelets. So why would they think that people wouldn't help fund cancer research is they actually got to keep the money they made? I just don't get it....

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Ron Paul needs to bash our current system. This will get people to listen. It's best to get them to understand the idea of true free-markets sooner rather than later. It will only help.

richard1984
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Ron Paul needs to bash our current system. This will get people to listen. It's best to get them to understand the idea of true free-markets. It will only help.

Yeah! I do see that working. He should point out how poorly the current system works, and talk about how well a true free market approach would work. That might go over very well!

cjhowe
08-24-2007, 07:50 PM

In 75 years, cancer and AIDS will be seen as the greatest catalysts of scientific advances instead of the scourge they are currently viewed as. Guaranteed!

Shink
08-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Should we call you DjThommyThompson?:p

LibertyEagle
08-24-2007, 07:57 PM
We don't know yet why he didn't accept. Dumb me, I didn't think about the Texas Straw poll. It would have been a good opportunity for him to at least explain his position. He would have had much more time to do so and it is things like these that people need to understand. It would have been a perfect opportunity to be explaining how we've totally gotten away from the idea of free markets in this country, corporatism and what it is, yada, yada, yada.

Oh well. Onward and upward.

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Has anyone tried to contact the campaign about this. I don't know the best way to reach them, but I do think this would be a great opportunity missed.

Today Armstrong said that it wasn't too late to agree to participate and all candidates are invited.

The Republican Candidate Forum, Tuesday August 28, 2007

trispear
08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Missionaries don't preach to the flock to get new converts. They go out to potentially hostile territory to find fresh blood for their message.

Of course, Ron Paul may have prior engagements. I'm not here to tell him what to do, he's doing quite well by himself. I'm just thinking that the past gay forum and the NAACP forum may have been lost opportunities to convert some followers even in a hostile demographic - the log cabin republican are a force that can be wooed. Plus it would prove what ball-less wonders the front runners are - ignoring what they don't like.

austinphish
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM

that is in bad taste

EvoPro
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
If anybody doesn't realize, this will be 2 hours long on msnbc starting a 10AM. If Ron Paul decides to go, that will make a total of 3 candidates attending. This will give a lot of time to express his views.

devil21
08-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Not as long as big pharma is raking in the dough hand over fist they wont.

CodeMonkey
08-25-2007, 09:40 PM

I know he wouldn't be for taxpayer funding. I just had this random idea though and wonder what people think. Since the president can have a lot of influence over people, he could set aside a donation fund and encourage people to donate money to it. The money can be used either as a prize awarded to a company that makes successful advances toward a cure, or the money can be used to support promising technologies in search of a better treatment or a cure.

Would Dr. Paul support something like this? I think it could raise a lot more money than say, church donations.

I'm sure there are plenty of existing cancer research funds Dr. Paul could endorse if he had the inclination. No need to create a new one.

EvoPro
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of existing cancer research funds Dr. Paul could endorse if he had the inclination. No need to create a new one.

Yes, I suppose you are right. But I was mainly suggesting that he could endorse the idea of a president endorsing such a fund, which could raise a lot of money if there was no federal income tax. :)

brumans
08-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Someone who has close relations with the campaign or has a direct phone number to someone associated with the campaign, call them up or contact them in some way and ask them why he hasn't accepted yet and if he will accept?

Wyurm
08-26-2007, 02:05 AM

An X-prize for cancer, I like it.

That is not true. It could eventually be cured using nanobots. :D

I wont explain exactly why (hot topic), but I will say that I'm highly opposed to using nanotech in humans at this time. Our government would have to be transparent and those with more power than should be in any one person's hands will have to have lost that power. Then I will be ok with this method, but untill then, no.

maxmerkel
08-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Someone who has close relations with the campaign or has a direct phone number to someone associated with the campaign, call them up or contact them in some way and ask them why he hasn't accepted yet and if he will accept?

absolutely !
Really !

2h of airtime on national television ??? contact the campaign !

Nickel
08-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Just watching Armstrong be interviewed on Meet The Press. I'd like to know why Dr. Paul seems to be passing this up too. I think it's a huge mistake.

Has anyone from the campaign commented yet?

walt
08-26-2007, 11:41 AM
yes, get him there

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
08-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Watching Meet the Press now. It is very frustrating that the field's only medical doctor will not be there.

:mad:

LibertyEagle
08-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, they obviously know about it and made the decision not to attend. I'm sure they have a good reason.

Gee
08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
This isn't the first time RP has turned down a televised debate indentation... It may be because he plans on being in Congress that day.