PDA

View Full Version : The Outcome of the State Covention

hotbrownsauce
06-02-2008, 12:44 AM
All but 10 contested Republicans were let in the Convention and no longer contested. The reasons for the massive amounts of contested people in the first place was that we weren't Republican enough.
The reason 10 people were not allowed in was their dedication to the libertarian party which was not inline with the Republican party.
One of the 10 persons identified as such was unhappy about the data presented. He claimed he was not part of the Libertarian Party and did not support them on their website as he was told. He managed to print out the website where his name supposedly was which wasn't there. Even so they were still successful in saying he isn't republican enough. (Side note, even Ronald Reagan was a Democrat at one time.)
We were all moved and seated to the uncontested side and then we were able to make standing votes on the Missouri Republican platform and on the slate of delegates to move to the National Convention. We were out numbered 2 to 1 which successfully yielded our attempts to change the MO Republican Party Platform and send delegates to the National convention.

***Comments***
I made it a goal to listen into the conversations of the GOP regulars and find out what they think of the Ron Paul supporters.
First and for most they think we are too loud and obnoxious. They laughed at one guy who was sleeping on the floor and said "hahaha hey look, there's a Ron Paul supporter hahahaha"
One person during the two delegate slate's discussion stood at the podium microphone and directly associated Ron Paul's name with the slate of delegates. Upon doing so many people sighed and one lady said "oh come on."
We can not leave the Republican party now. To do so could destroy our names more.
Other people from the other side of the stage way far away from myself shouted a few times loudly instead of walking up to the microphone. It was rather uncivil and some nice GOP regulars who sat next to me and another Ron Paul republican and others laughed and were saying things like "Shut up." I see where they are coming from. This is a 'respectable' event and these people by shouting were disrespecting it seemingly leaving a bad taste in their mouths towards Ron Paul and his supporters.
This is not to say kosher respectable things mentioned weren't laughed at. They were crabby we weren't letting them get a smooth convention. You could construe our involvement in the event as being noticed and having an impact of getting them to notice us and our numbers. In fact towards the beginning of voting you could tell they were scared. They clapped and cheered loudly when they realized they had the majority. It went like this-- the stood up... looked around like "oh crap" and it was very silent. Then when they announced which side had more people they were like "oh my god YES!" sigh of relief clap loudly and shout!

There were many respectable supporters there that far out numbered the others that screamed a few times. The people who set it up in the Campaign like Ruth Carlson, Deb Wells on down to the district coordinators and the vast majority of everyone were a wonderful group of people and I hope to see you all again continuously fighting along side all of us.

(EDITED TO MAKE CORRECTION ON NUMBER OF DELEGATES) I wont mention the exact number but it was more than just a few that were elected and sent to the national level for Missouri.
I'd be delighted to hear more stories from other people who went to the convention.

WRellim
06-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Ummm exactly WHICH state convention are you talking about?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

OOPS... never mind (that's what I get for navigating here from the "New Posts").

Still, it might be nice if people would include the name of the State in the title to these kinds of posts... the threads DO pop up in other places (w/o the state forum being visible).

kirkblitz
06-02-2008, 01:42 AM
so we now have like4 delegates from 4 state conventions this week, nice....

newyearsrevolution08
06-02-2008, 01:44 AM
So are these all going the same route, trying to state the rp style delegates as libertarian to be able to remove them?

Black Dude
06-02-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm pretty sure we got 1 delegate (at least?) on their slate. I heard the name. I'm not sure how it was pulled off though.

Black Dude
06-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Here is my take from the convention:
Once it was apparent that we weren't coming close to winning anything that was voted on, it went along a little quicker. All of the establishment GOPers wanted to keep things as they were and move things along. Roy Blunt gave a speech as did several other congressmen/women, trying to talk up McCain and talk up other people running for office in the State. They talked about low taxes, small federal government, etc. But when they talked about McCain, they kept it all about how strong he is and how he is so great because he was a POW. They also talked themselves up about how great they had done at the State level over the last 4 years with control of the congress and the governorship. It seemed like half of their speakers were in a contest for who could say "Ronald Reagan" the most. I think Sarah Steelman won (she is running for governor).

I sat next to an old guy that wasn't one of the Ron Paul supporters. He said how it was good to see a lot of young people here (I'm 25). I told him that we are concerned about the $9 trillion dollars in debt being thrown in our laps. He said that Obama and Hillary would certainly be worse than McCain about it. I said probably but he wouldn't do anything about it either.
All in all, I think they came away from the convention thinking that we were pretty much in agreement on the majority of issues. But of course, they avoided mentioning anything about federal government spending. Any time spending was mentioned, it was directed at the State level.

When we were voting on platform resolutions, support of the Fairtax was one of the resolutions that came up, the wording in the resolution got changed to clarify** it, but it still didn't end up passing (barely). There were still a few more resolutions to go over, but they voted to adjourn it before we went over them all.
It seemed we were outnumbered about 400 to 800. By the end of it, I was pretty pessimistic about our chances of getting through to the old GOPers. We'll replace them as they keel off and our numbers grow.

**The wording used to "clarify" the FairTax resolution actually made it so that instead of a prebate, necessary items were excluded from being taxed. But I'm pretty sure I was the only one that noticed this, since it was a pretty subtle change, and no one got to see it in writing.

hotbrownsauce
06-03-2008, 03:26 AM
I corrected my originial post we did not have 0 Delegates we actually have a few who seeped in the Missouri GOP. (I wont mention the number because I don't know if I should keep it secret or not.)

PaulineDisciple
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
I think you are making the right decision to keep that number to yourself and I would never mention any names.

LittleCrittersWorld
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
good idea hbs!

hotbrownsauce
06-11-2008, 03:43 AM
I hope to see everyone in St. Paul (hopefully I can make it... I didn't plan on going there but I just might.)