PDA

View Full Version : Professional Revolutionary?

Misesian
06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm currently an engineer but have lost much of the interest in this line of work. I am unfortunately consumed by restoring liberty and it is more than just an interest now and feel it is my civic duty and also the duty of a Christian. Volunteering is very difficult because time must be divided between your professional job, your family, and this volunteer effort.

It would seem like your 3 options to become a "professional revolutionary" are the following:

1. Elected official
2. Economist (austrian school no doubt)
3. Lawyer

The first one is out for me. I'm in my later 20's but just don't feel it's time and frankly have ZERO interest in any position outside of federal and my district would not be conducive to run at least until 2010.

I've thought about option 2 but have had a hard time finding any economics grad programs of the austrian school. Especially distant learning ones.

I think most of us already are much of option #3 since we know the law, we know history of the law, and we know the application of law and how it's supposed to be interpreted. Of course we also know of unalienable rights and the fact that governments do not have rights themselves, and laws are only supposed to prevent the aggression against those rights of the individual.

Does anybody else here have this same dilemma? Options 2 and 3 of course would require further education but I'm quite alright with that as I'm already constantly reading. Though tuition costs would be the only problem.

I'm also curious what exactly we would do to help this effort after getting a JD or an economists masters?

It's funny that people think I like politics. They don't understand that we just want to be left alone and have freedom, peace, and prosperity. If we had Constitutional government I'd have been pursuing my true happiness which would have been playing baseball! ;)

ronpaulhawaii
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
How about the 4th estate?

pinkmandy
06-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Author is another option. I'm going that route, I was inspired 2 weeks ago by a verse in a Dylan song, "I'm on the pavement talking 'bout the govament". I have my whole book outlined and have start pulling together research I want to include.

That said, singer/songwriter is another career where you can spread the message. You could also reach out to community education centers and offer to teach classes?

soapmistress
06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think those 3 you picked are the only options. I have always wanted to talk a little bit about exploring the practical applications and ethical ramifications of the liberty movement though.

Where does liberty fit into our daily lives? How do we live it?

My example would be trying to reconcile employment within a govt agency (where I currently am) with the aim of my life's work. It is hard to know that my paycheck is taxpayer funded and I am ethically opposed to forced taxation. However, the daily work I do from within the system maybe balances that out. ?? I'm still not sure and I struggle with it. I work as a lactation educator to help low-income families learn how to successfully provide nourishment for their babies and I work hard to keep them from accepting govt-subsidized baby formula. Is this work valuable? certainly. BUT - I have had to set limits with my employers about refusing job training which would put me in a position of issuing the formula to parents who want it. I won't do it.

I also have decided to take my professional certification to the highest level, get international board certification status, open a private practice and then donate time to the agencies which serve low-income families to achieve the same goals. Is this a better option than where I am at now? Certainly! For myself and for the taxpayers. Maybe for the moms as well, to know that someone is helping because they want to, not because the mom is entitled to a service.

You have to look at the skills you have and decide where and how to use them - nobody can direct you in that - but for a lot of people like me it doesn't mean you have to change your whole life around. Just the fact that we even think along these lines is a huge step.

I know there are others here who must have some feedback and I would also appreciate what they have to say in regards to the OP. Life and theoretical reconciliation are not always easy.

Carehn
06-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Just do what you feel is best. You don't have to be elected to congress or become a lawyer. Just strike up a conversation with people when they feel frustrated with life. Suggest to people what you believe to be the problems with modern life in a non threatening way and slowly you will sway there thinking.

Its working for me. I myself was "awaken" about a year ago by the good doctor, and i have in turn awakened much of my family and friends.