PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the Revolution...an idea

malkusm
06-01-2008, 11:02 AM
This is an idea I just came up with, I think perhaps that similar things have been discussed on these forums (for instance, I know that some people have been buying copies of the book and leaving them in public places), but nothing organized and formal. At the moment I am a struggling college student....I'm working and doing some investing this summer so perhaps by Aug/Sept I could pull this off myself, but I'd like to see it get off the ground ASAP if anyone wants to run with it and people think it's a good idea.

I was wondering, how can we get people to read Ron Paul's book? Many people are closed-minded ordinarily, especially if they have to sit down and read something....unless we can make it neat or enjoyable in some way.

Here's what I'd like to do, and the benefits (as I see them) listed afterwards...

Where is the Revolution? website

The idea: Before you give your book to someone, or leave it in a public place for others to enjoy, write a short, simple set of instructions inside the front cover. The idea would go like this:

1) Read the preface of this book. If it doesn't interest you, pass it on to someone who might be interested.
2) If it does interest you, write your name below, read the book as you please, and pass it on.
3) Go to (insert web site address here) and follow the instructions to track this book

The website would work sort of like the "Where's George?" website, where you put in the serial number of the bill and can see where it has been. The website would allow the person to put in their name, city and a unique identifier for the book (perhaps the first person who spreads the book could create this).

The benefits:

1) Few people, I think, would outright to read a mere 10 pages required to get through the preface. Immediately this exposes anyone with any objectivity at all to Ron Paul's ideas, even if they don't agree with them (which is what the "if it doesn't interest you..." part is for).

2) Whether or not they like some of the ideas expressed in the book, having a list of people who have read it will both make them more likely to read and be open-minded ("hey, wow, 6 people read this and liked it...") and combats the notion that we are small in number, or are just a bunch of spam-producing robots on the internet.

3) Those who do enjoy the book will likely be encouraged enough by its contents to visit the site and follow the instructions, introducing them to other like-minded Ron Paul supporters, and getting them involved and active in the revolution.

Let me know what you all think, any constructive criticisms or feedback ;)

sratiug
06-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I like it, it's got a good beat, you can dance to it.

pinkmandy
06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Hmmm...maybe that's why Dr. Paul left so many blank pages at the end of the book? I like this idea. :)

newyearsrevolution08
06-01-2008, 11:54 AM
It will first be sent to delegates but after that it will then move to a more general overall "revolution" effort. We are also setting up the RevolutionBookClub.com site which will allow people to organize locally to read the manifesto among other great books to educate people LOCALLY...

I think you might like my post in this thread then

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1457510&postcount=94

http://revolutionbymail.com/manifesto-stamp-small.jpg

malkusm
06-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Perhaps part of this could be incorporated into the "Revolution by Mail" project/website then?

My concerns, and the reason I came up with the idea of book/tracking and listing names in the book, are that if people don't have any incentive to open the book, they won't....especially considering most people get their news from sources which slander Paul as an extremist or as someone who has no support ("unelectable"). In other words, many people are already predispositioned against the name "Ron Paul," but perhaps if we didn't ask too much (i.e. just read the preface) then they would, for the cost is cheap.

Then once we hook the fish, reel them in....

newyearsrevolution08
06-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I like your idea but I can see that being a whole separate effort all together as I could see a map and everything in a site. It would be a great effort that should be started though. I do not think however people would need any incentive to read the book and I doubt anyone who reads a few pages of ANY chapter would put the book down. The book sells itself imho.

If you get it setup let me know.

Jamsie 567
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I love this idea I am planning on passing on my book. I just want to make sure it gets passed on to the next person and not stuck on the shelf some where.

mediahasyou
06-01-2008, 08:14 PM
My concerns, and the reason I came up with the idea of book/tracking and listing names in the book, are that if people don't have any incentive to open the book, they won't....

This reminds me. Me and my meet up are posting sticky notes in public places with url's of the high tide promo along with the word: "Curious?"

It's low cost. Promotion. And pokes at the more curious human nature inside all of us.