PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a national delegate -- The saga continues

spacehabitats
05-31-2008, 09:57 AM
So last night my wife Nancy (AKA "jigsawgyrl") and I attended the Iowa State GOP Lincoln Day Dinner in Des Moines.

As you might recall from a previous post Nancy is making a run for a delegate slot at the RNC.

For example, my wife volunteered to help a long time GOP activist in his quest to be elected to the Iowa GOP central committee. She made phone calls to his list of district convention delegates and (with his full knowledge and consent) put in a plug for her own RNC delegate candidacy. (He did win, by the way.)
In the process she had excellent response from the vast majority of the delegates she spoke with, gained valuable credibility, gained name recognition, accumulated some political currency with her "mentor", and generally laid the foundation for becoming at least a small factor in Iowa GOP politics.

She has become a member of the county Republican women's clubs for two counties. When we went to the district convention we went out to eat dinner with a couple she had "met" through her phone banking. We're sending them a copy of "Revolution: Manifesto".We met with her mentor at the dinner and had him introduce us to a couple of the "kingmakers" that she had already contacted by phone. It is very difficult to become a delegate to the RNC in Iowa without being vetted by the Iowa Christian Alliance (http://www.iowachristian.com/) .

These last few weeks she has been calling all of the delegates from the 5th congressional district who also appeared on a list of Ron Paul supporters supplied by the national HQ.

Then she started calling any delegate from our surrounding counties who she had not called earlier.

We will be sending out a second mailing of brochures announcing her candidacy for RNC delegate this next week, in time for the state convention on June 13th.

At the dinner last night we had to listen to speeches by about twelve primary candidates and a keynote address by Sen. John Thune (from South Dakota) explaining why we needed to get behind John McCain in November. (I could not keep the scowl off of my face. I told Nancy that if I had been there by my self I might have booed a couple of his remarks.:cool:)

Afterwards, as we were talking to the "kingmaker", one of his buddies came up to him to shake his hand and told him "I still can't stand that McCain guy!"

There IS still hope for this party!;)

ronpaulhawaii
05-31-2008, 10:30 AM
So last night my wife Nancy (AKA "jigsawgyrl") and I attended the Iowa State GOP Lincoln Day Dinner in Des Moines.

As you might recall from a previous post Nancy is making a run for a delegate slot at the RNC.

We met with her mentor at the dinner and had him introduce us to a couple of the "kingmakers" that she had already contacted by phone. It is very difficult to become a delegate to the RNC in Iowa without being vetted by the Iowa Christian Alliance (http://www.iowachristian.com/) .

These last few weeks she has been calling all of the delegates from the 5th congressional district who also appeared on a list of Ron Paul supporters supplied by the national HQ.

Then she started calling any delegate from our surrounding counties who she had not called earlier.

We will be sending out a second mailing of brochures announcing her candidacy for RNC delegate this next week, in time for the state convention on June 13th.

At the dinner last night we had to listen to speeches by about twelve primary candidates and a keynote address by Sen. John Thune (from South Dakota) explaining why we needed to get behind John McCain in November. (I could not keep the scowl off of my face. I told Nancy that if I had been there by my self I might have booed a couple of his remarks.:cool:)

Afterwards, as we were talking to the "kingmaker", one of his buddies came up to him to shake his hand and told him "I still can't stand that McCain guy!"

There IS still hope for this party!;)

Great report !!! I particularly like the last lines

:D

spacehabitats
05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
The recurring theme at all the GOP functions I have attended has been this intensive mouth-to-mouth resuscitation the speakers seem to feel they need to give to McCain's anemic support.

I guess this is one reason why we have gotten such backlash from the GOP leadership. If there were ever a time when "party unity" is a sham, it is this election year.

Ron Paul is rubbing salt in the wounds by reminding them of just how unpopular this "dog in the manger" candidate is with their base.

So why did he win so handily? Well questions of voting fraud aside, the media really played the GOP like a fiddle. Most of them felt that they had no viable choices.

MozoVote
05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
The recurring theme at all the GOP functions I have attended has been this intensive mouth-to-mouth resuscitation the speakers seem to feel they need to give to McCain's anemic support.

I'm sure in 1996, the people who voted for Pat Robertson and Steve Forbes were still willing to vote for Bob Dole in the general.

Even the McCain primary voters in 2000, probably voted for Dubya in the general...

This election really IS different, and the hatchets can't stay buried.