PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton & Barack Obama support Nationalized hurricane insurance

FrankRep
05-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Taxpayers May Face Hurricane Tab

Wall Street Journal
May 31, 2008

WASHINGTON -- As hurricane season begins, Democrats in Congress want to nationalize a chunk of the insurance business that covers major storm-damage claims.

The proposal -- backed by giant insurers Allstate Corp. and State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., as well as Florida lawmakers -- focuses on "reinsurance," the policies bought by insurers themselves to protect against catastrophic losses. The proposal envisions a taxpayer-financed reinsurance program covering all 50 states, which would essentially backstop the giant insurers in case of disaster.

The program could save homeowners roughly $500 apiece in annual premiums in Florida, according to an advocacy group backed by Allstate and State Farm, the largest writers of property insurance in the U.S.

But environmentalists and other critics -- including the American Insurance Association, a major trade group -- say lower premiums would more likely spur irresponsible coastal development, already a big factor in insurance costs. The program could also shift costs to taxpayers in states with fewer natural-disaster risks.

"This bill makes it a little bit too easy for the state to go to the federal government for a bailout," said Eric Goldberg, associate general counsel at the American Insurance Association, an insurers' trade group.

The legislation passed the House with bipartisan support, 258-155, late last year, despite a presidential veto threat. Although a Senate vote is unlikely this year, proponents are trying to make it a litmus-test issue in the presidential race. The two Democratic contenders, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York and Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, in their recent visits to Florida -- a key swing state -- have both voiced support for the plan.

Full Story:
http://mobile2.wsj.com/device/html_article.php?id=&CALL_URL=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121219552595334557.html%3fmod=hps_us_pageone

Carehn
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
What the hell should i pay insurance for? I don't live on the cost.

pcosmar
05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
This was one of the reasons I sold my home and left Key West.
I was paying 3 Insurance Co. almost $5000. a year. Yet when I got hit and had losses they all played off against the others. I got $ .00 and I left.
Now they want me to pay for someone else's insurance?

NO FRIGGIN' WAY. :mad:

moostraks
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Why should we pay for insurance and then pay for the insurance company to be insured? What is the point in having a premium??? If they cannot make money at this then they should quit, not get a bailout...

Kludge
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
=/ We really need to focus on congressional candidates, guys. They are our only serious hope at defending what's left of our freedoms.