PDA

View Full Version : CBN on Dr. Paul

Ridiculous
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/219902.aspx

CBN News Senior National Correspondent David Brody gives endorsement for Paul.

I am not a big fan of CBN, but they do have a large conservative christian following.

kalami
08-24-2007, 01:13 PM
That's not an endorsement

Zydeco
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
"Endorse" has a specific meaning in politics. This ain't it.

Jumpin_Jack
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
That's not an endorsement
It may not be an official endorsement, but it's written positively and has a similar effect on the readers.

constituent
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
holy sh*t.

cbn.

i did not see that coming.

ARealConservative
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
we need to stop stretching the truth

Zydeco
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
"It may not be an official endorsement, but it's written positively and has a similar effect on the readers."

Then call it a "positive comment." But don't call it something it's not.

jasonhlasvegas
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
No one affiliated with the CBN will ever give Ron Paul an endorsement. Ron Paul wants to restrict donations to all foreign countries, and this includes Israel.

constituent
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
i can't believe they said anything nice about him....

that's incredible... this guy might loose his job over it.

Daveforliberty
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
"The Brody File" also contains some not-as-flattering stories on Huckabee, Obama, and Fred Thompson, to name a few. This is important. No matter what you think about Pat Robertson and CBN, they have great influence with Christian voters.

Freedom brings people together. Let's never forget that.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Brody is in for a shock if he thinks Dr. Paul is socially conservative LOL

Ridiculous
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok, so I misspoke/overstated about it being an endorsement.

But he does say "So let The Brody File go on record (wait a minute, I’m always on the record, right) and acknowledge that Ron Paul has come out publicly to declare his faith boldly. "

Which from the CBN is basically and endorsement to its readers with out saying outright, "the CBN endorses this candidate."

If you read the headers from this guys page he is pretty negative about the other Republican Candidates: http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/blogs/brodyfile/

Nash
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Well, he is.

He just doesn't think everyone else needs to be.

There is of course, a big difference.

tnvoter
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
"The Brody File" also contains some not-as-flattering stories on Huckabee, Obama, and Fred Thompson, to name a few. This is important. No matter what you think about Pat Robertson and CBN, they have great influence with Christian voters.

Freedom brings people together. Let's never forget that.

This is EXACTLY right. If you want voters, this is a very positive thing. I recommend emailing anyone who comments positively about Dr. Paul and thanking them.

I will be doing this for CBN at: thebrodyfile@gmail.com

I encourage you all to do the same.

TheConstitutionLives
08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/219902.aspx

CBN News Senior National Correspondent David Brody gives endorsement for Paul.

I am not a big fan of CBN, but they do have a large conservative christian following.

This thread title is misleading. CBN in no way "endorse" RP and neither does this Brody guy.

0zzy
08-24-2007, 01:47 PM
David Brody,

I was recently reading your article, "Brody File Guessing Game: Which Candidate Wrote This: "I Freely Confess That Jesus Christ is My Personal Savior" and just wanted to say I appreciated you writing a piece about Ron Paul. Ron Paul is a good man who practices his Christian values not just in politics but throughout his 72 years of life as well. I think the Christian community would respond well to his values.

However, I did want to talk about the last sentence, "The reality though is that poll numbers and money go hand and hand and Ron Paul hasn't been able to move the needle." I presume you are referring to national polls, however I believe there are many reasons why the national polls don't truly reflect what the people think. Political scientist and economist Lasse Pitkaniemi wrote an excellent article about some of the reasons why these national polls haven't been going in Dr. Paul's favor (read: Ron Paul and Opinion Polling). In a recent poll more than 50% of Republicans wanted to plan a withdraw from Iraq, however the only anti-war candidate, Ron Paul, received 3%.

Also, Ron Paul has finished in the top 5 in 17 of the last 18 straw polls and can claim 1st place victories in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Washington, and Alabama. However, the media doesn't seem to want to cover these things. (read: Ron Paul in the Straw Polls) Instead they claim victory for names like Romney for the win in Iowa, even though he spent millions of dollars, even buying 10,000 tickets and renting buses, to only receive ~4,000 votes. He has also won every single post-debate (online & call-in votes), yet the mainstream media disowns their own polls.

It's also work noting that Ron Paul received more donations from military servicemen and women than any other candidate, Republican or Democrat ( source). And, as you might already know, Ron Paul is the top candidate of both parties on the internet and has more than 30,000 meetup.com members (a social network site where people can plan meetings in local areas).

So the support is definitely out there, the media is just not paying attention. One can argue that it's because the opinion polls are so low, but I believe that it's so low because the media doesn't him (coupled with the article provided above). Last year I was already seeing candidates like Barack Obama, Hilary Clinton, Mitt Romney, and Rudy Giuliani on 60 Minutes, Time Magazine, etc etc. The mainstream media picked their "front-runners" long before the election even began, and they want to keep it that way.

So, thanks again for shedding light on him to some of your Christian readers.

Man, I'm such a loser.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, he is.

He just doesn't think everyone else needs to be.

There is of course, a big difference.

1. He doesn't oppose gay marriage
2. Will leave abortion up to states
3. Against drug laws
4. Against death penalty

At the very most, he supports the state's right to govern themselves. No social conservative could win the LP presidential nomination.

Do you even know what social conservatism is? It's a belief that the state / church should run your life, so what does this mean? You do what you're told, you are against a secular society, you loathe homosexuals, you are intolerant of the views of others, you're pro death penalty, you SUPPORT strict drug laws, and on and on..

stevedasbach
08-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Ron Paul wants to restrict donations to all foreign countries, and this includes Israel.

Ron Paul doesn't want to "restrict donations to all foreign countries". He wants to end payments to foriegn governments that are coerced from taxpayers. People would able to "donate" as much of their own money as they liked to Israel or any other country. And, without the income tax, they would have a lot more money that they could choose to donate.

0zzy
08-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Brent, I think you make some great points and I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for writing me!

God bless you!

David

AWESOME!

constituent
08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
good job ozzy.

now drive down 35 and go picket that mega church next to tom's ribs.

then you'll really rock.

what's that guy's name again? you know, jerusalem countdown.

constituent
08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
hagee

Nash
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
3. Against drug laws
4. Against death penalty

At the very most, he supports the state's right to govern themselves. No social conservative could win the LP presidential nomination.

Do you even know what social conservatism is? It's a belief that the state / church should run your life, so what does this mean? You do what you're told, you are against a secular society, you loathe homosexuals, you are intolerant of the views of others, you're pro death penalty, you SUPPORT strict drug laws, and on and on..

The notion of "social conservatism" as a political movement is different to a "social conservative" in terms of an individual.

Ron Paul is a devout christian who is personally pro-life, afaik doesn't use drugs or endorse their use for recreational purposes and likely wouldn't be caught dead in a strip club or with a prostitute, nor would he associate voluntarily on a personal level with people who do such things.

Despite all this, since he is politically libertarian he would never legislate prohibiting such actions.

I think there is a distinct difference between Ron Paul and a individual like Steve Kubby who is a proclaimed pot user and activist, medical use or otherwise.

From a political standpoint, there is little difference between them but on a personal level they are worlds apart.

goldenequity
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Good letter Ozzy...kudos:)

I emailed as well and told him to check out
the buried 60 Minutes vid as a tip for an article.
CBN has a WIDE audience.... this is the "crack" in the wall
I was hoping for....

Thanks for posting this thread!!!!!

ButchHowdy
08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
His e-mail is right there under 'comments' Let's pour on the Thank Yous!

V-rod
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
If Congress wants to help Israel so bad, let them vote it in. I doubt Dr. Paul would veto that.

mtmedlin
08-24-2007, 09:30 PM
3. Against drug laws
4. Against death penalty

1. There actually is a growing movement amongst Christians to not support the banning of same sex marriage. The main reason is that Jesus Christ never used his pulpit to force opinions. Christianity is about choice and many Christians believe that an amendment will further damage any chance of the Christian right from making inroads on converting homosexuals to Christ.

2. This is as close to a out right victory and Pat Robertson has said in the past that this is a logical first step to eliminating abortion. The main argument is that several stats will immediately out law it and therefore save lives. Then Pat can continue to pray that God kills off pro-choice justices so that god fearing presidents can replace them. In the long run, this is a position that helps RP with the Christian Right.

3. This is one that doesn't play well but can be spun if he took more of an approach that these people need treatment and not jail. Ultimately it will allow rapist, murders and the like to spend their full time in prison instead of releasing them early to make way for someone who simply smoked pot.

4. Very Christian.
a. Judge not less ye be judged.
b. He who has no sin cast the first stone
c. Something about removing the log out of your own eye before removing the dust from another's.

(yes, I speak Christian, but its rather rusty)

dircha
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Well, Ron Paul is absolutely personally socially conservative.

And politically, let me tell you, overturning Roe v Wade is a very socially conservative position; this has been the objective of social conservatives since Roe was decided. Because when the decision is returned to the states, there will, guaranteed, be many states that will ban all abortions with no exceptions other than for the life of the mother. There is nothing social liberals fear more.

Not only this, but from everything I have heard him say, Ron Paul believes that the government, at whatever level it legally can, should protect the life of the unborn, including prohibiting abortion, because as he says, if we can not protect life, then we can not protect liberty.

Ron Paul has also spoken in support of Don't Ask Don't Tell, something that social liberals see as an unacceptable compromise to the religious right.

dircha
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
I'll also add that Ron Paul has previously introduced legislation in support of voluntary school prayer, clarifying that the government can not restrict voluntary prayer at school or school functions so long as it is not done by the state or a school official in that capacity.

And don't forget that Ron Paul co-sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.776.IH:) which would have legally defined life as beginning at conception.

This is about as socially conservative as it gets on this issue.

Matt Collins
08-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Whenever you are trying to turn a Christian onto Ron Paul you can always use his statement of faith:
http://www.covenantnews.com/ronpaul070721.htm

dseisner
08-25-2007, 01:57 AM
not even close to an endorsement. it was almost positive.

john_anderson_ii
08-25-2007, 02:01 AM
The reality though is that poll numbers and money go hand and hand and Ron Paul hasn’t been able to move the needle.

Well, the path is high lighted. Lets shock them with the FEC report this quarter.

Karsten
08-25-2007, 02:08 AM
Whatever his motive, I believe every Ron Paul Supporter should send Brody an email (thebrodyfile@gmail.com). You can also click on comments on the bottom of this article. Thank him for his positive words about Ron Paul! Every time someone in the media says positive words about Ron Paul, we need to send them a letter of support!

V4Vendetta
08-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Wow, i just sent the author of this story a BIG THANKYOU, ya'll should do the same!

thebrodyfile@gmail.com

micahnelson
08-25-2007, 05:31 AM
If Christian conservatives learn that you can BE a Christian conservative without having to support laws that would enforce it on everyone, it could mean some dynamic changes in this country.

This is probably our first cracked door into the Christian community. We need to support this guy.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Well, Ron Paul is absolutely personally socially conservative.

And politically, let me tell you, overturning Roe v Wade is a very socially conservative position; this has been the objective of social conservatives since Roe was decided. Because when the decision is returned to the states, there will, guaranteed, be many states that will ban all abortions with no exceptions other than for the life of the mother. There is nothing social liberals fear more.

Not only this, but from everything I have heard him say, Ron Paul believes that the government, at whatever level it legally can, should protect the life of the unborn, including prohibiting abortion, because as he says, if we can not protect life, then we can not protect liberty.

Ron Paul has also spoken in support of Don't Ask Don't Tell, something that social liberals see as an unacceptable compromise to the religious right.

I'm pretty pro choice, yet I believe in over turning Roe vs Wade, why? Because it's retarded. Let the states decide. If you're living in Florida and they've outlawed abortion, but maybe Georgia is pro choice, so citizens of Florida might be able to hop over to Georgia in order to get it done. Things should be done at the state level. Each state should be free to represent its constituency. Would I support abortion at the state level? I just don't believe it's a government issue, why do you think it's so hard to define life? Because, it's not a government issue. Even pro lifers debate amongst each other when it comes to defining the beginning of life. It's the same thing with drugs. If you legalize all drugs, all but heroin, then heroin will go to the black market, it won't end. Does this mean I'm against arresting murderers? No. You take murderers off the streets because it's the civilized thing to do, they can be our nation's cheap labor as far as I'm concerned, so murderers do serve a purpose.

In murder, we also need a "common sense" approach. Why are we trying people that truly are SORRY for what they have done in the same light as ruthless murderers? We should offer some leniency.

I guess you could call me a "small government liberal" I believe that the free market can replace government hand outs, charity, a lot of people disagree. We have never seen a true free market, I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to get out there and make money, and it should be easily achieved in a true free market, it's an economy where there's free entry and no government regulations, so people are free to hop into their cars and become their own taxi services if they want. We cannot do that in America, therefore, America does not have a true free market. America, I believe, has a mixture of quasi fascism and wacky liberalism.

In a true free market, I believe that charities will be around to give you a helping hand, our purchasing power will sky rocket, prices will go down, Americans will be making more money, so there would be a lot of prosperity. I believe that, in a true free market, you will truly have the opportunity to be whatever you want to be, you don't need a degree or license over every god damn thing.

Want to be a plummer? Become an apprentice. Or, alternatively, go to a specializing "plummer school," maybe a charity will help you pay for it, or maybe payment plans with the school? There will be OPTIONS. It should be the same thing with every profession. Ever play one of those MMORPGs where you have to run around and build up your levels? "tree cutting level" "black smith level" a game like Runes Scape, then you can do things that people will pay good money for, that's the benefit of picking up trades, imo, and I believe that's roughly how it will work in a true free market.