PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crichton "explains" why we're interested in RonPaul

spacehabitats
05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Author Michael Crichton, in an interview with Slate, explained that the MSM is too conformist and committed to sensational and superficial issues (Duh!) to give the public a balanced view of the world.

http://www.slate.com/id/2192382/pagenum/all/

He attributes the public's interest in Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul, and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright to its hunger for a wider range of viewpoints than the mass media provide.Let me see, the media was selling Huckabee before the Iowa primaries like he was the next Abe Lincoln only funnier and with a rock band. Rev. Wright has been putting his foot in his mouth and embarrassing the presumptive Democratic candidate for weeks. Neither one of them have anything of substance to offer to the political debate or any insight into the problems that Crichton feels need to be addressed by the MSM.

And yet he lumps Ron Paul in with these clowns?

It is as if he considers Ron Paul to be another amusing diversion to fill people's interest until a real politician of substance comes along and a responsible MSM decides to cover him. (Someone exactly like Ron Paul?!?!)

ClayTrainor
05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Author Michael Crichton, in an interview with Slate, explained that the MSM is too conformist and committed to sensational and superficial issues (Duh!) to give the public a balanced view of the world.

http://www.slate.com/id/2192382/pagenum/all/

Let me see, the media was selling Huckabee before the Iowa primaries like he was the next Abe Lincoln only funnier and with a rock band. Rev. Wright has been putting his foot in his mouth and embarrassing the presumptive Democratic candidate for weeks. Neither one of them have anything of substance to offer to the political debate or any insight into the problems that Crichton feels need to be addressed by the MSM.

And yet he lumps Ron Paul in with these clowns?

It is as if he considers Ron Paul to be another amusing diversion to fill people's interest until a real politician of substance comes along and a responsible MSM decides to cover him. (Someone exactly like Ron Paul?!?!)

Even very smart people can be complete freaking morons when it comes to politics bro.

It's staggering, and sad. Really shows why a democracy never can and never will work.

Gotta restore that republic so the idiots dont get to run shit.

crusader
05-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I was reading your post until you showed me you had the intelligence of a 2 year old.

People on these boards need to stop reading into EVERY single statement as though they are tainted with propoganda.

most are, NOT EVERY SINGLE WORD IS THOUGH...

michael's statement was simply an observation that the main stream media is not feeding people these viewpoints as rational views, which I agree with his statement. Please think for 10 seconds and try to play devils advocate before opening your mouth, your posts will read much better and less like a trolling fool.

OptionsTrader
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I didn't take offense to what he said.

"hunger for a wider range of viewpoints"

Huckabee: Theorcrats are hungry for a theocracy
Wright: Rubber-necking voyeurs hunger to see what he is going to say next.
Paul: Liberty lovers hunger for a free country.

Everyone's hungry for something.

sophocles07
05-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Even very smart people can be complete freaking morons when it comes to politics bro.

Michael Crichton is not "very smart." He writes some of the most ridiculously bad "literature" out there currently.

Sir VotesALot
05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Michael Crichton is not "very smart." He writes some of the most ridiculously bad "literature" out there currently.

Thank you.

Truth Warrior
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
"When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.' The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." -- H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Sun (26 July 1920)

yongrel
05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.legalmoviesdownloads.com/movie_screenshots/Jurassic_Park/Jurassic_Park_1.jpg

Grimnir Wotansvolk
05-30-2008, 02:39 PM
This press release is almost as painful as The Andromeda Strain

asgardshill
05-30-2008, 02:40 PM
http://www.legalmoviesdownloads.com/movie_screenshots/Jurassic_Park/Jurassic_Park_1.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. My ex still has some of her crap in my storage unit, and this weekend would be a good time to finally toss it or sell it in a garage sale.

Rhys
05-30-2008, 03:03 PM
He should write a book where the media and government are American and not communist. Now that would be one hell of a sci-fi!

WarningSLO
05-30-2008, 03:19 PM
To be fair, I think he makes a good point in the book State of Fear. Fear is used to control the vote in this country, whether it is fear of terrorists, fear of health, fear of the economy, etc. Unfortunately, most people who read that book probably thought it was about global warming, and not the basic premise of the power of fear.

Rhys
05-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I answered the reporters question, what do we want:

Hi,

I'd like to answer your question at the end of the Crichton piece about what do I want.

I want to be able to trust the media. I feel like you're all sell outs to the Establishment. You have power and access and want to keep it more than you want to be good journalist. You think having power and access IS being a good journalist. Frankly, I read better stories on websites with hundreds of readers than I do on yours and cable news and newspapers... with millions of readers.

You guys probably never were very good as an industry. I'm only roughly 30, so I don't know how you were like before me. I can't imagine you were any better because the last 100 years have been fucked up by liars, and allowed by media who doesn't report.

I shit my pants one day when I read an article quoting David Rockefeller of Chase Manhattan Bank. He was at a Council on Foreign Relations meeting and THANKED the media for helping him lie to the public. Something about how the American people would never have gone along with all the 20th century policies without the dedication of the media to NEVER REPORT THE TRUTH!

Ya'll fucked up. I want you to be Americans and not asskissers and sensationalists. Crichton was dead nutz when he said you can watch cable news all day and here nothing but lies and speculation and guessing and bickering. The newspapers just keep rerunning eachother's lies. I like Ron Paul, and I read over and over and over again people reprint things in newspapers like he dropped out. That wasn't true. The Times said we were all moving to texas to lock ourselves in some strange self made city. That was probably true for 10 people and yet "Paul Supporters moving to gated community" is headlines.

You MSM folks just can't stay around anymore. When Crichton said we'd stop using the MSM because we can get better info elsewhere, he was partly right. I don't think you'll all fade away, you'll just be seen as the tabloids you are.

Another for instance: I'm listening to NPR today and the end of a story says, "Further signs that we MIGHT be slipping into ressecion." I mean, for God's sake, the journalist should have just said, "I'm paid by the banks to make you think we might be ok." Everyone knows the economy is heading south faster than a bullet train. That's why you'll be seen as tabloids, because you lie and it's increasingly obvious to everyone.

Do you know that the MSM is the last place where "conspiracy theories" are talked about as strange? People EXPECT the multi-nationals and the government to work hand in hand in destroying us for their own gain. Maybe this wasn't the case a few years ago... but on a scale of kooky, most people would give the MSM a 10 and the Birch Society a 1 at this point. Scary?

If so, then here's what I want:

Good, honest journalism, not tabloid speculation and he-said, she-said.

I want you to take one moment to stop and look at Hillary/Obama coverage... tell me if 90% isn't "Obama replied to what Hillary said today." lol who gives a fuck what they say about each other. Which one will kill America slower? ie, which is the lesser of two evils? Which has more unlawful plans? (unconstitutional is unlawful.) Which wants more power worse? Which is more willing to throw Americans under the boat.

Last thing I want is for journalists to realize it's their money to lose too. When the dollar loses all it's value, you think you wont be a slave with the rest of us, just because you lied for 'them' the whole way down? We'll be in the same bread line, buddy.

OptionsTrader
05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
To be fair, I think he makes a good point in the book State of Fear. Fear is used to control the vote in this country, whether it is fear of terrorists, fear of health, fear of the economy, etc. Unfortunately, most people who read that book probably thought it was about global warming, and not the basic premise of the power of fear.

Read it. Decent book.

TheConstitutionLives
05-30-2008, 05:26 PM
He makes a good point. I agree with him. REAL issues aren't covered. It's all political drama that's completely irrelevent. Instead of debating policies and whether or not they are constitutional or will even work, they focus on the BS like Rev. Wright, etc... I don't watch any "news" on Television.