PDA

View Full Version : Re: Personal Attacks Will Cease!

synapz
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
You've all been warned.

Talking about the merits of an idea or controversy over an idea is one thing.

Calling people idiots, crackpots, kooks, etc... It'd better stop.

Attack the idea, not the person.

And be a good sportsman, too. If you prove yourself correct, don't rub it in.
(--FooFighter)

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of this overbearing attitude? I think our mods should be in the background in case another goatse picture poster comes along, not to monitor all our infighting. Just leave us alone, and stop threatening us with statements like, "It'd better stop." We can police ourselves.

Rye

JoshLowry
08-24-2007, 11:45 AM
People do not need to insult other members. It will only turn into flamefests and people forget the task at hand.

Foo could have nicely asked "Please stop." but try to not let it get your whitie tighties bunched up over it.

synapz
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
People do not need to insult other members. It will only turn into flamefests and people forget the task at hand.

Foo could have nicely asked "Please stop." but try to not let it get your whitie tighties bunched up over it.

My 'whitie tighties' aren't in a bunch. I'm just tired of overbearing attitudes amongst moderators (here and elsewhere). If they get to be arrogant, I would let them go, is all I am saying. And those kinds of threats, handed out to everyone in general, are something I consider arrogant.

Kregener
08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
This has never failed to happen on any board I have ever been on.

Except one.

JoshLowry
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
My 'whitie tighties' aren't in a bunch. I'm just tired of overbearing attitudes amongst moderators (here and elsewhere). If they get to be arrogant, I would let them go, is all I am saying. And those kinds of threats, handed out to everyone in general, are something I consider arrogant.

Thanks for your input. I probably was a bit sarcastic with my remark. :o

We can always try to put our best foot forward. I'll make a note of it to all the moderators.

ronpaulhawaii
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM

Ahh, more insults, now from Josh. Nice:rolleyes:

I'm really sorry you have supported foo's hatchet job on this forum. I, and many others are now migrating to another place that is, obviously, more focused on the job at hand. This was a good run, and alot of good work was done by the members . Unfortunately, it will probably now become a place for newbies and trolls and posers. I will read for amusement in my spare time and keep an eye out for effective activism. Perhaps you all will get this shambles straightend up in the coming days, one can only hope. But from the behavior of the mod team, I doubt it.

BTW- I wear boxers

nayjevin
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
foo's 'attitude' in this post doesn't bother me near as much as the perpetual flame that occurs amongst the masses

perhaps the tone could be changed, but can we not yet read through the tone to the important subject matter? it's what we do with biased media all the time.

i agree that ad hominem attack is widespread and i would prefer it did not exist. i would do what i can to minimize it's occurrence here. foo and I have that in common.

why focus on how I might disagree with his approach? the main thing foo is trying to get across, i agree with him entirely, and feel like most others would as well.

JoshLowry
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Ahh, more insults, now from Josh. Nice:rolleyes:

I'm really sorry you have supported foo's hatchet job on this forum. I, and many others are now migrating to another place that is, obviously, more focused on the job at hand. This was a good run, and alot of good work was done by the members . Unfortunately, it will probably now become a place for newbies and trolls and posers. I will read for amusement in my spare time and keep an eye out for effective activism. Perhaps you all will get this shambles straightend up in the coming days, one can only hope. But from the behavior of the mod team, I doubt it.

BTW- I wear boxers

I never supported nor asked Foo to do what he did. Please read here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=14035

The post that is quoted by the thread starter is from Hot Topics. It was posted by Foo nearly two weeks ago when Hot Topics had a day of flaming and insults being thrown around, he was doing the right thing at the time that it was posted.

Wendi
08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
@ ronpaulhawaii ~ It looks like Josh posted his comment while you were posting yours, from the times. In case anyone else missed it...
Thanks for your input. I probably was a bit sarcastic with my remark. :o

We can always try to put our best foot forward. I'll make a note of it to all the moderators.

ronpaulhawaii
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
I never supported nor asked Foo to do what he did. Please read here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=14035

The post that is quoted by the thread starter is from Hot Topics. It was posted by Foo nearly two weeks ago when Hot Topics had a day of flaming and insults being thrown around, he was doing the right thing at the time that it was posted.

If any threads are going to be moved it will be Bryan or myself.

I don't like the disruption and things worked fine the way they were before.

I asked the new moderators to moderate with a light hand when they joined and something seems to have changed. I did not ask anyone to go ballistic on thread moving but that seems to be the quota for some unknown reason.

Please do not move any more threads. The disruption is not worth the organization at this time.

Fair enough, excuse me if I havent followed HT and mistook this a a continuation of the idiocy of last night. I have been working on lots of things and was quite dissappointed to see the destruction last night; of a place I had hoped to develop another large project in. I am sorry for this mistake

The fact remains that many of us have now found another place to work. The fact remains that the true responsibilty for this mess has not been owned up to. The fact remains that we have been embarassed in front of friends of ours across the globe. The fact remains that many worthwhile projects are now scattered to the winds of fate. The fact remains that dignity, diversity and style has been made a mockery of by members of your team.The fact remains that foo's destructive and insulting behavior is worthy of a public apology to all of us.

[/QUOTE]
@ ronpaulhawaii ~ It looks like Josh posted his comment while you were posting yours, from the times. In case anyone else missed it...

Yes, I, again, apologize for my agitated and misplaced anger. Thank you for caring. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go paint some more BurmaShave signs

with aloha and hopes for a responsible resolution to this mess

mkauai

synapz
08-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Hmm. I didn't realize this. I wouldn't have bothered posting if I knew it was so old. Anyway, I'm not trying to stir things up; I love this forum! I just don't want other people stirring things up. :(

foofighter20x
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Don't worry. It was a one-day thing. Kind of like draft-card-burning, if you will. I don't have any more "draft cards" to burn.

I made a statement (which was more that the forum wasn't effecient to it's purposes as it was organized). I made my point (by starting to organzie the thread as they should have been organized). People took notice (those whose threads were moved). Discussion was created, the powers that be (Josh and Bryan) realized what I meant and are now working toward a solution. Everyone will benefit from it.

Were toes stepped on to get there? Maybe. But would there have been a problem if they hadn't been breaking the forum rules in the first place? Nope.

Simple fact was that I was tired of moving threads and PM'ing the threadstarter with a request to post in the correct thread. You don't see those PMs, however, do you? But, I wasn't about to start cleaning house. Then I saw that house cleaning had already been started (i.e. before the "second-wave" of moves yesterday that I did, another mod had already started cleaning house). I merely continued something that was already on-going. But no one stops to ask question. They react in a knee-jerk fashion and demand my head. What ever happened to stopping and asking rational questions? The propensity here towards lynch mobbing is a little frightening. It only shows how far all of have to go before we are more like Dr Paul.

My biggest dissappointment here is that everyone has rushed to hang me up when they don't know all the facts. Assumption of innocence until proven guilty has nearly become a lost concept. Seems to have happened here too. It's rather disheartening.

However, I'm looking forward. The changes that were already discussed before Ames have been brough to the fore. The feet have been placed on the coals and action is taking place. I'm sure you'll like the end result.

Nefertiti
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Foo-Some of us do appreciate your hard work. Thank you.

LibertyEagle
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Quote:
You've all been warned.

Talking about the merits of an idea or controversy over an idea is one thing.

Calling people idiots, crackpots, kooks, etc... It'd better stop.

Attack the idea, not the person.

And be a good sportsman, too. If you prove yourself correct, don't rub it in.

Well, I'm already in a bad mood, so if anyone wants to insult me for saying this, BRING IT ON! I fully support FooFighter for having made this comment. He was right. And the place I saw him post it was in Hot Topics. That whole subforum had been completely NUTS and Foo and Bradley put a stop to the insults and downright threats. I thought it was about time and I applaud them both for their efforts.

If we had been "policing ourselves", it would not have been necessary for Foo to say what he did. Also remember where he said it.

LibertyEagle
08-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll tell you another thing, I may not have liked the number of threads being moved, but Foo's intention was good. We posters had started throwing EVERYTHING in Ron Paul News, whether or not it had a thing to do with Ron Paul. We all know that this is the truth. Something had to be done. Maybe not as much as was done, but something, nonetheless.

What I am tired of is our apparent new thing around here to throw one of our own under the truck and keep running over him, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It's like gang mentality or something and it is quite frankly, sickening. Do any of you think Dr. Paul would approve? We are acting like everything we say we stand against!

I myself have been guilty of this and I am going to do my best to make sure I never do it again.

FooFighter is on OUR team. Please everybody. GET OFF HIS BACK!!

Ozwest
08-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I have been spending atleast 2 hours a day on this site everyday for the last couple of months. Ifound this site because I'm a Ron Paul junkie. The first forum (literally) that I have ever explored. It seems to me it is the hub of grass roots supporters. I have 0 knowledge of the operation of a forum but it may be similar to running a small business. As a businessman, losing top employees can bankrupt you. Perhaps your treatment of dedicated volunteers has gone along way towards bankrupting Ron Pauls campaign. Ido not doubt your sincerity but, admit your mistakes, apoligise with dignity, shake hands and move on. Authoritrarian and Liberterian may rhyme but I wouldn't poke a stick at e'm.

1000-points-of-fright
08-24-2007, 09:02 PM
What would Ron Paul say?

This forum was paid for and created by someone, I'm guessing Josh but I could be wrong. Regardless, it is private property. Therefore, nobody but the owner gets to decide how it is moderated. He is allowing you to participate in this forum on his terms. If he wants to hand the mod duties to the ghost of Hitler, none of us can say crap about it.

Actually, you can bitch all you want but the moderating ghost of Hitler can march your ass into the forum gas chamber if he wants.:D

Richard in Austin
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
... in the words of Rodney King, "C-C-C-Can't we all just get along?"