PDA

View Full Version : Arizonans to recall McCain from the Senate!

nakor667
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
The primaries and caucuses are winding down, the march and the convention are months away. What's a die-hard Ron Paul supporter to do?

Why, go on the offensive, of course.

To get RP the Republican nomination, we have to undercut McCain's tenuous support by conservatives. The most effective way I can think of is to show that republicans in his own state have no confidence in him, and remove him from office.

Thats right, I want to impeach McCain. And we need over 400,000 signatures to do it. All those canvasing skills and summer vacation time can be put to good use here in Arizona, for those that are willing to take on the establishment and work to win this election by any means necessary.

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/7/messages/boards/thread/4410359

OptionsTrader
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Can I ask for a link to evidence that such a 400,000 sig list is sufficient for this?

nakor667
05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legismgt/elect/recallprovision.htm

Arizona: 25% of the votes cast in the last election for the official being recalled
Results from last election -

John S. McCain * (R) 1,234,558 76%
Stuart M. Starky (D) 335,974 21%
Ernest Hancock (Lib.) 43,827 3%

link - [ http://www.washington... ]

.....so does that mean we need 403,590 signatures? (25% of ALL votes cast)

OptionsTrader
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I mean where is a rule (link?) that states 400,000 sigs is sufficient?

haaaylee
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
so there is nothing up anywhere yet to actually sign?

phixion
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Interesting. So there's a 120 day circulation time to do it once started?

3,500 signatures per day required, basically.

With 35-40 people collecting 100 signatures per day for 120 days... it's possible.

Sheesh it's a tall order.. it would destroy McCain, that's for sure.

Damn.. it looks like the public will still get to vote whether or not McCain can stay in or not.....?

Pete

pinkmandy
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Interesting. I'd love to see McInsane lose his seat.

speciallyblend
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
This should be a major project:)

Jeremy
05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
You'd definitely have to be serious about this and be obvious about why he needs to impeach.

Every lie needs to be exposed. Maybe even get Vietnam Veterans Against McCain to help... at least understand what the issue was back then

OptionsTrader
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Where is the rule written that says this is possible?

kylejack
05-29-2008, 01:05 PM
The OP already gave you the link. Its in the third post in this thread. Click it.

OptionsTrader
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
The OP already gave you the link. Its in the third post in this thread. Click it.

Thanks looks like he edited the link. The link was broken before.

phixion
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM

On this link (http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legismgt/elect/recallprovision.htm) I pulled out the following about getting a recall election:

Arizona

Who Can Be Recalled
All

Signatures Required
25% of the votes cast in the last election for the official being recalled

Circulation Time
120 days

In 1988, Arizona voters filed enough signatures to trigger a recall election for Governor Evan Mecham, but he was impeached by the state's House of Representatives before the date of the scheduled recall election.

It still doesn't make any of it much clearer since the OP mentioned impeaching McCain and not just getting signatures for a recall election.

Is McCain actually an 'official'?

Pete

RonPaulFever
05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
This needs to be organized as a statewide effort, and quickly. Get a few hundred folks committed to this and it will succeed.

phixion
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Here's something off Wikipedia that is quite interesting.

While criticism plagued Governor Mecham for most of his time in office, it was not until he had been in office for six months that his nominal allies began to break ranks with him. In July 1987, the same month the recall effort officially began, a group of thirteen rank-and-file Republican members of the state legislature met to discuss the governor's image problems. Eleven members of the group, dubbed the Dirty Dozen by the local press, issued a joint statement critical of many of the governor's efforts.[35] Calls for the governor's resignation followed several months afterwards, with U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater leading the way on October 9, 1987.[17] As Mecham's problems continued to build, other Arizona political leaders, including Congressman Jon Kyl and Senator John McCain, made appeals for Mecham to step down, but the governor steadfastly refused to leave office.

And about the recall:

Recall drive

The Mecham Watchdog Committee was organized in January 1987 and changed its name to the Mecham Recall Committee in May 1987. By Arizona law, recall petitions could not be circulated until an official had been in office 180 days. These petitions needed a number of signatures equal to 25% of votes cast during the official's last election to cause a recall election. On July 6, 1987, the first day that petitions could be circulated, the recall committee began an effort to collect 350,000 signatures, significantly more than the 216,746 signatures required. The recall committee was led by Ed Buck, a registered Republican and gay businessman living in the Phoenix area. In response, Mecham claimed the recall supporters were "a band of homosexuals and dissident Democrats". Mecham supporters printed bumper stickers reading "***** Ed Buck's Recall" after learning of the recall leader's sexual orientation. Mecham also mailed 25,000 letters during September to conservatives nationwide requesting that they move to Arizona and support him in case a recall election were held.[17][37]

Pete

freelance
05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I hate to burst the bubble, but this recall info is for state and local officials:

This brief, however, focuses only on the recall as it applies to state officials.

John McCain is a Fed. I just thought I would save you all some trouble before you got rolling.

kylejack
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks looks like he edited the link. The link was broken before.
I think you just clicked his second [broken] link not the first one, because he hasn't edited that post.

Kotin
05-29-2008, 01:43 PM
You'd definitely have to be serious about this and be obvious about why he needs to impeach.

Every lie needs to be exposed. Maybe even get Vietnam Veterans Against McCain to help... at least understand what the issue was back then

Great Idea!!

the vets against McCain would love that..

anyone know how to contact them?

Kade
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Your hearts are in the right spot, but a recall of a federal official would violate the Constitution, as stated by an Idaho District Court in the case of Frank Church, who was petitioned for a recall as a U.S. Senator from Idaho.

There is a chance it might work, but it is a long shot, and one that would require a district court, and possibly the Supreme Court's intervention.

You could just vote him out 2010....

ronpaulblogsdotcom
05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I like the basic idea but then of course all it would force would be another election. It would not guarantee him out.

It might work if for some reason people wanted to vote him out for the bad temper rumors or the 100 year war comment.

Hard to say what people would think.

Is it really this important? The dude looks like he will have a stroke any moment. I doubt he will serve many more years whereever he goes.

Pepsi
05-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Another way is that the Senate could expel him by a two-thirds majority vote. Thow that might not get any were.

sratiug
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
In some states you can get initiatives on the ballot with fewer signatures than that, and they can say anything. There's bound to be some cool things that could be done. Like make gold and silver legal tender so the fed can't counterfeit the state's money. Declare the personal income tax unconstitutional and void in your state. Withdraw guard troops from undeclared UN wars. Or medical freedom amendments that declare a person's right to decide their own treatment.

foofighter20x
05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
On this link (http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legismgt/elect/recallprovision.htm) I pulled out the following about getting a recall election:

Arizona

Who Can Be Recalled
All

Signatures Required
25% of the votes cast in the last election for the official being recalled

Circulation Time
120 days

In 1988, Arizona voters filed enough signatures to trigger a recall election for Governor Evan Mecham, but he was impeached by the state's House of Representatives before the date of the scheduled recall election.

It still doesn't make any of it much clearer since the OP mentioned impeaching McCain and not just getting signatures for a recall election.

Is McCain actually an 'official'?

Pete

McCain holds a federal office, and is not subject to Arizona election law beyond state fundraising and getting on ballots to stand for election.

He cannot be recalled as the Constitution provides no such mechanism to do so.

While it would be fun to watch him squirm, actually removing him from office using this method is a pipe dream.

Madison
05-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Good luck Arizona.