PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher ?

jd603
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Anyone have any theories why he's completely forgotten about Ron Paul and every show he's been on he doesn't even mention him?

Seems kind of strange. His new season starts tonight and I will probably watch it because he can be a funny bastard but I'm just a little confused why he's joining sides with the establishment media...

Theories?

Edit: now that i think about it, mentioning him on bill o'reily probably wouldnt have done Ron any good, since A.) it's coming from bill maher in front of bill O's audience and B.) it would open up ron to shots from bill O in front of his broken audience. He's been on some other shows where it might have helped though.

EvoPro
08-24-2007, 10:23 AM
try searching for him in these forums, it's been discussed numerous times. He's a LINO or something...haha

Spike
08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Maybe he changed his mind about Ron Paul or he only agrees with Paul on foreign policy issues, cause Maher always says how government is not the problem and he always bashes the conseratvies for blaming government for all of societies' problems. I think on that issue, he has a major philosophical break with Paul and he just doesn't want to support him.

I can't think of any sinister theory to explain why he hasn't mentioned Paul. Maybe he was just exaggerating that Paul was his new hero. He had the whole summer to look at Paul's views and he probably didn't like most of his positions. Maher, although he is clever, he isn't on the same page as the rest of us enlightened people. I never once heard him speak ill of the federal reserve, of the irs, of government cover ups. The guy only criticizes the Bush admin and pharma companines which are pretty easy targets and the establishment media lets that slide because there's room for that kind of criticism.

nayjevin
08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I was more surprised by his early support of Ron Paul than his sudden silence lately.

Maher has long called himself a Libertarian while calling for big government to solve problems.

Maybe he supported the 'Libertarian' candidate to try and keep up the ruse that he actually is libertarian.

ARealConservative
08-24-2007, 10:30 AM
because he is a democrat. He will only prop Dr. Paul up so long as it helps the democrats. Once it became clear that Dr. Paul appeals to classical liberals, the support had to end.

Meistro1
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Bill Maher is a liberal who will probably end up supporting Obama.

1000-points-of-fright
08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
On his old ABC show Politically Incorrect, Maher always said "I would be a Republican if only they would." So you'd think Ron would be his guy. But honestly, who gives a shit about him other than as a comedian. He's on the board of PETA and is convinced that the scientific evidence for man-made Global Warming is settled and incontrovertible.

J4ck
08-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone saw him on Larry King? He's def. with the 'democrats'.

Nash
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Endorsing Ron Paul on Bill O'Reilly would have been a disaster. I'm glad he didn't speak up in that forum.

But yes he's had other opportunities and he hasn't done it. Oh well. He's a liberal so what do you expect.

jd603
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I just thought he was more logical, and he did speak highly on Ron and had him on twice.

Dunno, lets see what happens on his new season. :cool:

Endorsing Ron Paul on Bill O'Reilly would have been a disaster. I'm glad he didn't speak up in that forum.

But yes he's had other opportunities and he hasn't done it. Oh well. He's a liberal so what do you expect.

MadEmperor
08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

More and more I dislike the "fair and unbiased" Bill O'Reilly. He is so far slanted to the "right" it's not even funny. Then he tries to insult your intelligence by claiming to be in the middle. :rolleyes:

Bergie Bergeron
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
It would be nice if somebody could talk to him in private for like a minute or so to ask him why he hasn't talked about RP at all...

akovacs
08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Anyone have any theories why he's completely forgotten about Ron Paul and every show he's been on he doesn't even mention him?

Because he's a liberal at heart. It's like asking a catholic to endorse an atheist for the priesthood. It's not going to happen. He admires his anti-war position and his integrity, but he doesn't like libertarians. He will not endorse one. I don't understand why this is an issue (This is the third thread about this)

unconsious767
08-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Even though Maher is still caught in the left/right box, he DID just mention that Ron was different than the other Republicans in the race:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HIEiGcaeVk0

jd603
08-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Yup, I watched the show last night, he said the right thing, he DIDNT on larry king, bill O etc. My belief is he didnt want to piss them off while he comes on to plug his show... good to see he hasnt forgotten about him.

cjhowe
08-25-2007, 09:15 AM
My guess is that it's because in the off season of Real Time he was on a comedy tour bashing Republicans. The guy's gotta make a living.

jd603
08-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Everyone needs to step away from the dem vs republican , conservative vs. liberal speak.

The more divided everyone is the less of a chance of making any real changes. don't alienate "liberals" with this kind of talk.

Not to mention the meanings of these words have been altered/tarnished and what the parties stand for have changed and morphed into something completely different. The party arguments no longer hold water.

My guess is that it's because in the off season of Real Time he was on a comedy tour bashing Republicans. The guy's gotta make a living.

cujothekitten
08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
He mentioned him last night.

He was saying that all the republicans are pro-war with the exception of Ron Paul... then he had an interview with Huckabee.

cjhowe
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Everyone needs to step away from the dem vs republican , conservative vs. liberal speak.

The more divided everyone is the less of a chance of making any real changes. don't alienate "liberals" with this kind of talk.

Not to mention the meanings of these words have been altered/tarnished and what the parties stand for have changed and morphed into something completely different. The party arguments no longer hold water.

I wasn't alienating. He did an HBO special entitled "The Decider" http://www.hbo.com/events/billmaher/index.html that bashed Bush and he repeatedly used the phrase "All Republicans" in reference to the war and being in your bedroom.

I was also serious, the man needs to make a living. I wasn't putting him down for it. Just because Bill Maher has a TV show and he agrees with RP on several issues does not mean that it is BM's responsibility to grandstand for RP every chance he gets.

jd603
08-25-2007, 11:12 AM
He cornered huckabee and kind of made him look dumb though. , so no harm there. :)

dircha
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Seems kind of strange. His new season starts tonight and I will probably watch it because he can be a funny bastard but I'm just a little confused why he's joining sides with the establishment media...

Theories?

Edit: now that i think about it, mentioning him on bill o'reily probably wouldnt have done Ron any good, since A.) it's coming from bill maher in front of bill O's audience and B.) it would open up ron to shots from bill O in front of his broken audience. He's been on some other shows where it might have helped though.

Maher is a liberal. The only reason Maher brought Ron Paul on before was to score points against Republicans. The only issues Maher was interested in talking about and agreed with Ron Paul on were issues where Ron Paul's criticism of mainstream Republicans is shared by Democrats.

Paul was used, essentially. Though I don't think the media exposure hurt.

Nathan Hale
08-25-2007, 08:35 PM

I think you've taken the "Ron Paul is my hero" thing a little too much to heart. Maher doesn't actually consider Ron Paul his hero. He doesn't plan to vote for Ron Paul. Calling somebody your hero is more a turn of phrase, a pop-culture saying that implies that you respect a person, even if that respect is narrowly defined (such as their position on the Iraq War). Don't take it too seriously.

yoshimaroka
08-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Bill Maher mentions Ron Paul:

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/60714/