PDA

View Full Version : Does Moving Threads Cause Blip in Site Availability

constituent
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I ask b/c everytime s*t starts shuffling rapidamente, it doesn't matter what i'm trying to do the site stops working..

this is causing much frustration... kinda like everyone talked about would happen w/out net neutrality...

you know, how shoddy, iffy availablity of a site will lead people to seek out other sites....?

c'mon i like it here... don't do this.

Bradley in DC
08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Perhaps if everyone read and followed the guidelines, we could prevent the problems? ;)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22

constituent
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
everyone ... c'mon man..

you're in d.c. right?

you should know better...really bradly, i had faith in you.

constituent
08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
and what does that have to do w/ my question? nothing.

just answer my question...

does it cause the blips i'm experiencing?

i don't give a d*mn about everyone else.... i give a d*mn about if this site is working properly or not and if your (foo or whoever) asshatery is getting in the way

Nefertiti
08-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I am having no problems whatsoever. It could be the connection between your location and the server.

I run my own site-it's different software-but I would presume it is similar. Moving a thread involves one single number being changed in the database, it is not going to cause blips. Believe me.

Please don't turn this into a conspiracy theory. This is totally unproductive.

constituent
08-24-2007, 09:43 AM
what about this is conspiracy theory?

give me a break nefertiti... this is the second dumb @$$, off the cuff remark you've made at me in the span of about 12 hrs. cut the shit.

on the connection... i was kinda thinking that, but this is the only site w/ the problem.

Bradley in DC
08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
and what does that have to do w/ my question? nothing.

just answer my question...

does it cause the blips i'm experiencing?

i don't give a d*mn about everyone else.... i give a d*mn about if this site is working properly or not and if your (foo or whoever) asshatery is getting in the way

I was trying to be helpful, honestly. I can't answer the techie part of the question--way above my pay grade. I for one haven't experienced that problem. And yes, seriously, if people read and followed the guidelines then no one would have to move/merge posts and you wouldn't have that problem (according to your description).

constituent
08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
couldn't agree w/ you more there bradley.... i've been wishing the mods would get a little more heavy handed...

my complaint as of late is specificially regarding Foo's behavior while participating in threads... i'm not so concerned w/ moving inappropriate threads.... but when i want to go from one page to another and i have to try three times...

then i get there and see that there was a mass migration, certainly rational minds will expect there must be some sort of correlation. that is frustrating... but not worth getting up in arms about necessarily.

seriously though, Foo is not Mod material.

Nefertiti
08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I was trying to be helpful too. I once worked on a project in Cairo and our database server was in the US. All my work involved that database. For two weeks, the connection became incredibly slow to our database, and I was on DSL. No other sites were slow, just our database. Our staff in Boston had a lightning quick connection to the database.

Now, in Egypt there were only two routes by which the internet came into the country. We were on what I will call route 1. I tried dialup using route 2-it was faster than DSL on route 1. Dialup on route 1 was slow too.

I ran what is called a traceroute. I shows you all the computers that the data passes through on the way from your computer to the server. I found it was hanging up on a computer in London. Route 2 didn't go through that computer at all.

After two weeks, the problem resolved itself. I redid the traceroute, the problem computer was no longer a part of that route.

So that is a somewhat extended explanation of why you may be experiencing this but not others. It depends on the particular route from your computer to the server and that will vary from one ISP to another. If there is a weak link somewhere along the way, you may not be able to connect. There could be 30-40 steps between you and the server and the problem could be anywhere.