PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team?

Michael Landon
05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Did any other Minnesota Ron Paul Delegates receive a letter in the mail today from the "Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team?"

This letter pissed me off.

Here it is:

Dear Republican friend,

Conservatives must unite if Barack Obama is to be defeated in November. As conservative leaders in this state and in our party, we have come together to seek your support for the positions of National Delegate, Alternate, and Presidential Elector.

As members of the Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team, we began this campaign season supporting a wide array of candidates for President. The primary and caucus season was hard fought, but fair. Through the rigorous nomination process, John McCain has emerged victorious as the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party. As members of the Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team, we are pledging our support to John McCain should you elect us to the positions we seek at the upcoming Republican State Convention.

Unfortunately, the supporters of Ron Paul still refuse to unite our party behind our presumptive nominee. At our Congressional District conventions, the Paul supporters ran slates of candidates seeking to thwart the will of the majority of those who have already united behind John McCain. Paul supporters are promising to do the same at our State Convention by fielding a slate of candidates who continue to refuse to accept the outcome of the primary season.

You can help launch our party to victory in November in a few important ways. First, please attend the Republican State Convention in Rochester. The convention will come to oder at 9 AM on Friday, May 30. Please be registered and in your chair by 9 AM. Virtually every Paul supporter in the state will be in Rochester. Let's not let the will of the vast majority be overcome by a tiny, organized and motivated minority.

Second, support the Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team with your vote. Whatever success Paul supporters have had in Minnesota conventions has largely been the result of the failure of mainstream conservative Republicans to unite behind a qualified team of party leaders. A fragmented votes opens the door for the organized minority to have much more voice and control than their numbers justify. Unite behind the Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team.

Finally, reject efforts of the Paul minority to disrupt and manipulate our convention with challenges to the convention rules and procedures. Cries for "fairness" by the Paul group are simply desperate tactics by a minority who simply don't have the votes and wish to overcome the will of the majority. Manufactured confusion and delay has been the standard for Paul supporters at other State GOP conventions. Support the Committee Reports that will be presented and don't open the door for Paul manipulation.

History has taught us that Republicans need to stand united if we are to win in November. The civil war that is ripping the Democrats apart does not need to occur within our party; we have our nominee, John McCain.

Sincerely,
Friends of the Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team

Paid for by Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team, 4521 Belvidere Lane, Edina, MN 55435. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

- ML

nate895
05-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd point out that Senator McCain only has a plurality of popular votes, so it is not the will of the majority, but the plurality, and it appears as if McCain will never receive the majority of the popular vote for the nomination.

AJ Antimony
05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd mail it back with a big "FUCK YOU" written on it.

TruePatriot44
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I think they are really worried we will take over the convention.

Mahkato
05-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I didn't get it (they know I'm a Ron Paul supporter) but they have sent it to other Paul supporters in Minnesota. They are afraid.

I especially like this line:

Virtually every Paul supporter in the state will be in Rochester. Let's not let the will of the vast majority be overcome by a tiny, organized and motivated minority.

The first sentence either means that there are under 2,000 Paul supporters in Minnesota, since that's about what the attendance at the state convention will be, or it means that ALL THE PAUL SUPPORTERS IN THE STATE ARE DELEGATES AND ALTERNATES TO THE STATE CONVENTION. Muhahaha!

The second sentence should make us all proud. We know what we're doing, and we have a good reason to do it. They're so worried about us taking over the Republican party, when we're trying our darnedest to keep them above water this November.

As to the whole letter, it just reeks of anti-democracy back-room politics. "Please, dear delegate, vote how you are told to vote so that we can keep everything nice and neat. Don't let anyone bring forward a dissenting opinion. That would be HORRIBLE."

Mahkato
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I also like how they forget to mention that Romney, not McCain, finished first in the Minnesota caucus preference poll. McCain came in second with just over half the votes that Romney got.

And, "Unity" = "Agree with us or get out."

pepperpete1
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I found this blog when researching the "Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team"
Score one for the good guys.

http://joerepya.typepad.com/eaglesnest/2008/05/ron-pauls-peopl.html

Here is another objective report on "The Minnesota Conservative Delegate Team"

http://www.looktruenorth.com/component/content/article/122-2008-gop-convention/3242-silence-of-the-loons-ii.html

Mahkato
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the links, pepper. Hopefully the letter will backfire on them. I don't have any idea how well we'll do in Rochester, especially against a slate that includes numerous high-ranking elected Republicans like Governor Pawlenty and Senator Coleman, but hopefully we'll at least open a few eyes in the process.

Danke
05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
I also like how they forget to mention that Romney, not McCain, finished first in the Minnesota caucus preference poll. McCain came in second with just over half the votes that Romney got.

Second?

I remember Romney getting around 41%, then Huckabee followed by McCain's 22% and Ron Paul's 16%.

Mahkato
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Second?

I remember Romney getting around 41%, then Huckabee followed by McCain's 22% and Ron Paul's 16%.

CNN says (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#MN) that McCain got second.

Danke
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
O.K. I just remember the Huckster coming in second. Anyway, McCain was near the bottom at my caucus. :D

Danke
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
If you look at the actual votes. McCain and Ron Paul's votes combined are less than Romney's total. Yet McCain is the "presumptive" nominee from MN?