PDA

View Full Version : VoteRonPaul.com website - anyone know about this?

Politeia
08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Someone told me about a website called VoteRonPaul.com (http://www.voteronpaul.com) and I took a look at it. Something seems fishy about this site.

It features an "artist rendering" of Ron Paul that looks more or less like him -- but is not a photograph or other unmistakable likeness. There is a button to click if you "would like to see Ron Paul elected President in 2008", which just takes you to a page requesting your email and zipcode. Nothing about why this information is being collected.

The "About" page has nothing about the site itself, only a lengthy biography of Dr. Paul that appears to have been copied verbatim perhaps from the official campaign site. There is no identifying information anywhere on the site: no name(s), address, or anything but an email address to "contact".

The site sells campaign "materials" -- brochures, tee-shirts, signs, etc. -- at what seem to be inflated (i.e. profit-making) prices, with no information on where the money goes. There is a "Donate" link that goes directly to the official campaign's donation page.

As we know, the Internet has made the Ron Paul Revolution possible. We all know as well that the Internet, like any large, complex ecosystem, has a dark side, a sizable population of parasites and predators always on the lookout for ways to trick, cheat and rob the unwary. In that regard, it is merely a mirror of the real world, and I am not in favor of "regulating" the Internet to protect us from its dangers -- doing so only produces a population of children, incapable of dealing with the world's realities. But the Internet is dangerous.

Like I said, something seems fishy about this site. It could be legit, but it could also be carefully designed to (a) collect email addresses and (b) make a bunch of money from naive and unwary Internet newbies who've become interested in Ron Paul.

Does anyone know anything about this site? (I did do a search in this forum, but there doesn't seem to have been any discussion about this.)

maxmerkel
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
the prices are indeed steep !
29$ for a t-shirt ?? that better be one hell of a t-shirt !!!

Slugg
08-24-2007, 08:54 AM
The picture was from an article in Texas Monthly I think. It was from an article, not positive which though. The site seems 'okay.' I'm going to keep my eye's on it...see if it progresses..

Richard in Austin
08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
WHOIS Lookup .com .net .edu .org .info .us .biz .uk .to .ch .fr .jp .de .ru .it .mil .gov .au .cc .ca .coop .dk .be .at .as .az .bt .cn .ac .af .al .am .cx .cz .dz .ec .ee .eg .es .fo .ga .gf .gl .gr .gs .hk .il .in .io .is .kr .kz .li .lu .ly .mc .mm .ms .mx .nl .no .nu .nz .pl .pt .ro .se .sg .sh .sk .so .st .tc .tf .th .tj .tm Lookup registration data for domains.

WHOIS information for: voteronpaul.com:

[whois.godaddy.com]
The data contained in GoDaddy.com, Inc.'s WhoIs database,
while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is"
with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy. This
information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you
in obtaining information about domain name registration records.
Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written
permission of GoDaddy.com, Inc. By submitting an inquiry,
you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular,
you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible,
dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any
purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and
and solicitations of any kind, including spam. You further agree
not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic
processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose,
including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, Inc.
is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
Skyline Movement
47 W. Polk St.
Chicago, Illinois 60605
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: VOTERONPAUL.COM
Created on: 12-Mar-07
Expires on: 12-Mar-09
Last Updated on: 28-Jul-07

Administrative Contact:
Watson, Tory torymwatson@mac.com
Skyline Movement
47 W. Polk St.
Chicago, Illinois 60605
United States

Technical Contact:
Watson, Tory torymwatson@mac.com
Skyline Movement
47 W. Polk St.
Chicago, Illinois 60605
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.LNHI.NET
NS2.LNHI.NET

Verio Inc. - Growing Your Business, One Click At A Time

DjLoTi
08-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I know Tory. He's legit. I like the website. Me and him are actually working together on a few projects.

Slugg
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I know Tory. He's legit. I like the website. Me and him are actually working together on a few projects.

It seems to be pretty new, do you know when it started?

DjLoTi
08-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Something like 3-4 weeks ago. I do know he's brought in a lot of 'new' people to the Ron Paul philosophy. He's doing a great job.

If you're questioning why it looks to be set up in a way that plans to be successful, well, it is. He plans to be successful. That's the only way he'll succeed! And personally, I think he's done a great job of jazzing up the stuff in a stylistic way that will make people want to get involved. lol

He's not in it to make money. He's in it to push and promote and to grow the entire movement. So, don't think he's a false-flagger who's trying to bank on the movement :)

Slugg
08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Something like 3-4 weeks ago. I do know he's brought in a lot of 'new' people to the Ron Paul philosophy. He's doing a great job.

If you're questioning why it looks to be set up in a way that plans to be successful, well, it is. He plans to be successful. That's the only way he'll succeed! And personally, I think he's done a great job of jazzing up the stuff in a stylistic way that will make people want to get involved. lol

He's not in it to make money. He's in it to push and promote and to grow the entire movement. So, don't think he's a false-flagger who's trying to bank on the movement :)

No no, I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of the site. It looks GREAT!!!! And it does look like he's setting it up for success. But, to be honest, when I saw the radio (and the rpr link) I knew it was legit.

Politeia
08-24-2007, 10:43 AM
The picture was from an article in Texas Monthly I think.
No, it's not the picture from the Texas Monthly article (http://www.democracyisnotfreedom.com/ronpaul_texasmonthly01.asp). I haven't seen it anywhere before.

the prices are indeed steep !
29$ for a t-shirt ?? that better be one hell of a t-shirt !!!
Agreed. And $5 for a bumper sticker, plus shipping. And prices are hidden until you half-way commit to buying, which always turns me off.

I know Tory. He's legit.

If you're questioning why it looks to be set up in a way that plans to be successful, well, it is. He plans to be successful. That's the only way he'll succeed! And personally, I think he's done a great job of jazzing up the stuff in a stylistic way that will make people want to get involved. He's not in it to make money. He's in it to push and promote and to grow the entire movement. So, don't think he's a false-flagger who's trying to bank on the movement :)

So why do you have to do a WhoIs search to find out the guy's name and location? This site could easily be hosted somewhere in .ru, and any money sent to it disappear into the aether. Successful at what? If he sells much of his merchandise, he sure will be making money, riding on the Ron Paul Revolution for his own profit. Yeah, the site looks sharp, but any 'Net operator knows that's how to bring in the suckers. If the guy wants to help, there are lots of ways to do so, in concert with others in the community. Not saying you can't go your own way, but the way this guy's doing it looks suspicious. Check out http://www.dailypaul.com: nothing's hidden there, and it's clearly done for love, not money.

DjLoTi
08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Why do you have to do a WhoIs just to make sure he's honest? His donate page goes directly to the campaign.

I'm in contact with him, and me and him are planning some major projects. He and I will be sponsoring them. They're going to cost money.

Plus, money I've received for the radio station I've channeled to a few other projects. He's swamped and needs more staff. He needs to grow. If people are willing to by them, let them by them. They're unique and stylish. It's called the free market.

mdh
08-24-2007, 11:22 AM
No no, I wasn't questioning the legitimacy of the site. It looks GREAT!!!! And it does look like he's setting it up for success. But, to be honest, when I saw the radio (and the rpr link) I knew it was legit.

I dunno man, that djloti guy is kinda shady. :p

BizmanUSA
08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Glad to read that this appears to be a real deal site for the overall good of RP.

I think it is even better that we police ourselves by watching closely that the RP Revolution does not get hijacked and any funds be sent to some slime sucking sleazy boiler room operation.

Blink twice and any scam is gone with any and all funds gone with it until they put in place the next scam.

As good and knowledgeable as all the members in the forum are please remember there is always at least one person/operation that is BETTER and can put together a scam and try to divert funds away from the main reason we are all here.

Paranoid maybe - Safe for Sure :cool:

It does not hurt to make sure a good deed is Truly a Good Deed! ;)

BizmanUSA