PDA

View Full Version : Top-ranking officer warns U.S. military to stay out of politics

FrankRep
05-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Top-ranking officer warns U.S. military to stay out of politics

International Herald Tribune
May 25, 2008

WASHINGTON: The highest-ranking U.S. military officer has written an unusual open letter to all those in uniform, warning them to stay out of politics as the United States approaches a presidential election in which the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be a central, and certainly divisive, issue.

"The U.S. military must remain apolitical at all times," wrote Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "It is and must always be a neutral instrument of the state, no matter which party holds sway."

Full Story:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/25/america/pent.php

Related??

Q4 FEC Reports: Ron Paul Receives More Military Donations Than All Other Republicans Combined

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/211/q4-fec-reports-ron-paul-receives-more-military-donations-than-all-other-republicans-combined/

RSLudlum
05-26-2008, 08:04 PM
When I first heard about this I was wondering what actually prompted this statement. Could it be that there's something big (militarily?) brewing in the background? They remember what happened during the Vietnam war.

evilfunnystuff
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
thats bullshit every american should be allowed to express their views if they cant then what are we fighting for

(well i guess we all know the answer to that 1)

RSLudlum
05-26-2008, 09:07 PM
"As the nation prepares to elect a new president," Mullen wrote, "we would all do well to remember the promises we made: to obey civilian authority, to support and defend the Constitution and to do our duty at all times."

oh if only those with the 'civilian authority' would do the same!!!

klamath
05-26-2008, 09:33 PM
There is nothing wrong with this. You cannot wear a US military uniform and promote partisan politics and this is a great thing. Off duty, out of uniform, on your own time yes.

James Madison
05-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Soldiers take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. If the politics of our day seek in anyway to prevent them from honoring this oath then to ignore it is treason.

Danke
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Soldiers take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. If the politics of our day seek in anyway to prevent them from honoring this oath then to ignore it is treason.

QFT!

I am humored (actually disgusted) by the General's letter:

"As the nation prepares to elect a new president," Mullen wrote, "we would all do well to remember the promises we made: to obey civilian authority, to support and defend the Constitution and to do our duty at all times."

He said it, but doesn't really mean it (as shown by his other statements): "to support and defend the Constitution"

evilfunnystuff
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM

great post

Danke
05-26-2008, 09:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with this. You cannot wear a US military uniform and promote partisan politics and this is a great thing. Off duty, out of uniform, on your own time yes.

Yes, you can't support the Constitution unless you are out of Uniform. :rolleyes:

James Madison
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes, you can't support the Constitution unless you are out of Uniform. :rolleyes:

I see what he's saying but it operates under the pretence that your commanders are giving sound, Constitutional orders. Due to compartmentalization of the armed forces we've seen rampant corruption at the upper levels of command such as the joint chiefs (operation northwoods, etc.) and the CIA (no explanation needed). So, in order for the military to operate effectively the lower ranking members should be following the orders of their superiors. Unfortunately, those superiors have gone bad.

Aratus
05-27-2008, 07:09 AM
the president is the commander-in-chief. the military is not a bunch of 3rd rate political hacks
whereupon their jobs and positions are contingent on patronage. they are not historically
part of the process whereby candidates run for election or build up political bandwagons.
this being said, INDIVIDUAL members of the miltary can vote their hearts... we are indeed
a democracy. the above letter is not a fluke. its a reminder of how we viewed our military.

Aratus
05-27-2008, 07:59 AM
douglas macarthur had to leave his four stars behind in 1951 when he took on what
he thought was truman's incompetancy. he could not run for president and buck his
commander-in-chief at the same time. folks may agree more with truman, folks may
agree more with macarthur, however the dispute between the two is historic and is
where this letter is at. this incident was famous in its day and era, and its a re-affirmation.

yongrel
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I've got no problem with this. No, it is not related to Ron Paul receiving donations from the military. Take off your tin foil hat.

youngbuck
05-27-2008, 08:21 AM
we are indeed
a democracy.

Yea, now we are. We didn't use to be. Not what out founding fathers intended..

dvdrink
05-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Likewise the politicians need to stay out of politicizing the military (ahem.. McCAIN)

McCain visits his captive audience in Baghdad, puts words in their mouth that they are not allowed to refute, and claims to speak for them. He's a sick fuck.

klamath
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Would you want that general to call a mass formation and give a long speech to a captive group to vote for Bush? He is after all a member of the military. How about platoon sargeants doing the same thing. You take away that protection and you will have a country ripe for military takeovers. The militay is designed to be subservient to civilian authority. That is why the sec. of defence is a civilian not a military officer.

Hiki
05-27-2008, 10:36 AM
However you twist it, it's not the soldiers work to do the politics. Sure they can think a bit before they act, but if they're sent to war then they're sent to war. Blame the politicians, not the tools they use to drive their policies.

AmericaFyeah92
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Likewise the politicians need to stay out of politicizing the military (ahem.. McCAIN)

McCain visits his captive audience in Baghdad, puts words in their mouth that they are not allowed to refute, and claims to speak for them. He's a sick fuck.

"I was over there...and they tell me 'let us win!'" He uses it over and over again, and then changes subject when someone points out RP got the most military donations.

What a load of BS

IPSecure
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
"I was over there...and they tell me 'let us win!'" He uses it over and over again, and then changes subject when someone points out RP got the most military donations.

What a load of BS

Was wondering if this is to discourage any more military donations to the great doctor...

Sally08
05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
When I first heard about this I was wondering what actually prompted this statement. Could it be that there's something big (militarily?) brewing in the background? They remember what happened during the Vietnam war.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1479945
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JE28Ak01.html
Bush 'plans Iran air strike by August'

Two key US senators briefed on the attack planned to go public with their opposition to the move, according to the source, but their projected New York Times op-ed piece has yet to appear.

The source, a retired US career diplomat and former assistant secretary of state still active in the foreign affairs community, speaking anonymously

It is my understanding that both China and Russia have treaties/whatever with Iran, if the US attacks Iran.