PDA

View Full Version : The LP have a big opportunity

itshappening
05-26-2008, 06:44 AM
does anyone agree that with Barr as the nominee of the LP he and his "team" will professionalize the party and its message a lot more, along with running a sound campaign, significantly growing the party and its influence in the process

whatever happens in the presidential race, the LP has a great opportunity post 08 because the 2 party system is collapsing, the Republican president has the lowest approval rating ever and the Democrat congress has the lowest approval rating ever, people are desperate for another viable alternative and as the 2 party system collapses the LP is best placed to rise as a significant force, hopefully Barr sticks around and continues his work if he's not President.

Kludge
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
While a card-carrying member of the LP, I'd prefer the outcome be that the GOP opens up to more libertarian ideas and starts to move back to conservatism.

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 06:48 AM
While a card-carrying member of the LP, I'd prefer the outcome be that the GOP opens up to more libertarian ideas and starts to move back to conservatism.

Blood oath!

That is wishful thinking.

itshappening
05-26-2008, 06:49 AM

while that would be great and what Ron Paul is trying to do and eventually I think it will happen but unfortunately there's too many people set in their ways, look at the conventions, they're the architect of their own downfall. The GOP will be cleansed of these people after some heavy defeats but I still think the LP can be a significant player in the future

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 06:53 AM
How soon we forget the way the Republican Party treated Ron Paul.

They are immovable dinosaurs.

Time to change tact.

Kludge
05-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Bob Barr will be the spoiler and stop McCain from taking power this year.

I truly dislike the idea of the LP and GOP competing for the 50-60% of conservatives/libertarians while the dems maintain 40-50% of their bleeding heart liberals.

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Bob Barr will be the spoiler and stop McCain from taking power this year.

I truly dislike the idea of the LP and GOP competing for the 50-60% of conservatives/libertarians while the dems maintain 40-50% of their bleeding heart liberals.

But who is the worst choice?

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Iraq?

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Neither McCain or Obama have a clue about the economy.

Peace&Freedom
05-26-2008, 07:11 AM
There is not enough time to improve the professionalism of a whole party in 5 months, but Barr can use it to run a professional campaign in his own right. The big potential here is for the LP to get multiple times the vote than usual (due to Barr's high profile, and Paul's influence in popularizing libertarian ideas this year), and impact the presidential election by spoiling it for McCain.

After he loses the LP will have residual clout for several cycles because the GOP (like the Dems with Nader) will have to look over their shoulder and wonder "will the LP do it to us again?" The mere THREAT of spoiling should have a marvelous effect of nudging the party to the liberty zone, just to head off another spoiler candidacy. The LP could magnify this impact against both parties by running a left-libertarian (or even Gravel) in 2012, to spoil it for the Democrats.

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 07:20 AM
There is not enough time to improve the professionalism of a whole party in 5 months, but Barr can use it to run a professional campaign in his own right. The big potential here is for the LP to get multiple times the vote than usual (due to Barr's high profile, and Paul's influence in popularizing libertarian ideas this year), and impact the presidential election by spoiling it for McCain.

After he loses the LP will have residual clout for several cycles because the GOP (like the Dems with Nader) will have to look over their shoulder and wonder "will the LP do it to us again?" The mere THREAT of spoiling should have a marvelous effect of nudging the party to the liberty zone, just to head off another spoiler candidacy. The LP could magnify this impact against both parties by running a left-libertarian (or even Gravel) in 2012, to spoil it for the Democrats.
You have fore-sight.

But time is ticking...

All is lost.

familydog
05-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Anything to break the two party system would be great. It seems every election though its "the LP has a great chance this year..."

Let's hope this year is different.

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Why bother with elections?

A couple of years back you decided you wanted out of Iraq.
You voted big-time.

Being pussies takes practice. Need I say more.

Matt Collins
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
There is not enough time to improve the professionalism of a whole party in 5 months, but Barr can use it to run a professional campaign in his own right. The big potential here is for the LP to get multiple times the vote than usual (due to Barr's high profile, and Paul's influence in popularizing libertarian ideas this year), and impact the presidential election by spoiling it for McCain. Well having such a high turn out will allow the LP to gain ballot access next cycle in many states.

After he loses the LP will have residual clout for several cycles because the GOP (like the Dems with Nader) will have to look over their shoulder and wonder "will the LP do it to us again?" I tend to disagree. The Reform Party didn't have much clout after Perot did what he did.

The mere THREAT of spoiling should have a marvelous effect of nudging the party to the liberty zone, just to head off another spoiler candidacy. The LP could magnify this impact against both parties by running a left-libertarian (or even Gravel) in 2012, to spoil it for the Democrats.

Yes, the LP can affect the outcome of the Presidency, but I don't think they'll have a President in office for at least the next 20-50 years.

HOWEVER, the LP should start to work on getting a liberty caucus or getting a minority status in the House. At that point in time they could block votes if they had enough members so that swing votes would all have to go through them.

Peace&Freedom
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I tend to disagree. The Reform Party didn't have much clout after Perot did what he did.

That example proves the point. The Democrats/Clinton co-opted several of Perot's themes after 1992 to head off a repeat of Perot's 19% performance in subsequent elections. It worked by '96 as Perot only got 5%. Meanwhile Clinton DIDN'T make adjustments for the Green/Naderite agenda, so it cost them in 2000 when Nader ran again.

Matt Collins
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
That example proves the point. The Democrats/Clinton co-opted several of Perot's themes after 1992 to head off a repeat of Perot's 19% performance in subsequent elections. It worked by '96 as Perot only got 5%. Meanwhile Clinton DIDN'T make adjustments for the Green/Naderite agenda, so it cost them in 2000 when Nader ran again.

Yes, when both parties begin to realize that the 3rd party is beginning to siphon off votes that could swing the election, then they will ratchet up the rhetoric and begin the pandering. Unfortunately as always it'll just be hot air. Hopefully no one will buy into it.

Ozwest
05-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Geez... American politics is in good hands...

The "powers that be," love procrastinators.

Maybe in 20 years, you'll get a "look in."

Aratus
05-26-2008, 12:08 PM
in the scenario... if mccain concedes some neo-cons to barr due to a name recognition reflex
reaction, would we, could we see joe lieberman being on a ticket as a v.i.p veep person???
barr might have three or four times nader's vote total, if ross perot's old manager sees fit...
normally methinks romney and huckabee seem logical, if not florida or louisiana's governors!!!

werdd
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Exactly, but i think the best idea is to pick up the dissafected conservatives within the republican party, and the best way the LP can do that is with Barr. Plus Root isnt all that bad.