PDA

View Full Version : Yeah the phoenix landed on Mars

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
The phoenix landed on Mars on the north side where they can test the water.
Wow how exciting

Aratus
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
it landed o.k! this is GREAT news! odds were at fifty/fifty for this!!! today has this as a theme!

RSLudlum
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM
How much did this feat cost? Given it was a 50/50 chance, how much of our tax money was NASA willing to lose? Just to test the water? :confused:

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I think it was worth it. I bit all my fingernails off

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I would have perferred private companies to have done it though. But something is better than nothing

torchbearer
05-25-2008, 06:36 PM
How much did this feat cost? Given it was a 50/50 chance, how much of our tax money was NASA willing to lose? Just to test the water? :confused:

How much money did we gamble on in the invasion of Iraq? compare that to NASA's total budget.
Mission of exploration versus missions of destructions.
I'll take NASA over halliburton anyday.

klamath
05-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Though I have a mixed opinion on the politics of NASA I love the mission. It is not a matter of if but when a chunk of matter slams into earth and resets evolution on earth. NASA might fall under national defence.

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I believe there were several countries involved in this. And you're right Torch, as usual.

RSLudlum
05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I believe there were several countries involved in this. And you're right Torch, as usual.

I'm kinda on the fence about NASA, I like the multi-national missions but get a little worried when NASA is used for quasi-militaristic purposes, ie militarization of space is worrisome.

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm kinda on the fence about NASA, I like the multi-national missions but get a little worried when NASA is used for quasi-militaristic purposes, ie militarization of space is worrisome.

I worry about that too but I rather us than other evil countries.

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Second thought! I would not like anyone to use Space for military.

torchbearer
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Second thought! I would not like anyone to use Space for military.

What do we do if China militarizes their satellites?
That is a difficult question.
I think space exploration and space science should be a human endeavor, not controlled by political lines on a map.

The One
05-25-2008, 07:31 PM
I heard that when the phoenix arrived on Mars it was immediately swarmed by an alien form of stinging insect that feeds on various kinds of meat.

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
What do we do if China militarizes their satellites?
That is a difficult question.
I think space exploration and space science should be a human endeavor, not controlled by political lines on a map.

+100

torchbearer
05-25-2008, 07:34 PM
I heard that when the phoenix arrived on Mars it was immediately swarmed by an alien form of stinging insect that feeds on various kinds of meat.

They haven't heard from the lander since its touchdown.

Meatwasp
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Oh my brothers and sisters shouldn't have shown themselves. No meat on Phoenix though

The One
05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh my brothers and sisters shouldn't have shown themselves. No meat on Phoenix though

:D

constitutional
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
How much money did we gamble on in the invasion of Iraq? compare that to NASA's total budget.

That's like saying "I'll vote for Obama over McCain because he is lesser evil of the two." How about... NO to both.

torchbearer
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
That's like saying "I'll vote for Obama over McCain because he is lesser evil of the two." How about... NO to both.

So, we wait until an asteroid is about to hit us to develop a national defense against near earth objects?
Do we stop national development in space navigation until other countries have space weapons hanging over our head?

I can't stand being taxed for other people's benefit, but I see a universal.. general welfare benefit to space research. as in one of the few things the government should do... national defense.

inibo
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
The US space program has always had an underlying military mission, any civilian benefits were at best byproducts. I say this as someone whose first dream was to be an astronaut. We will eventually become a spacefaring species--if we don't destroy ourselves first--I'd just rather it be as free people, not part of a government program. I'm rooting for Virgin Galactic and I hope take a ride before I die.

constitutional
05-26-2008, 11:45 AM
So, we wait until an asteroid is about to hit us to develop a national defense against near earth objects?
Do we stop national development in space navigation until other countries have space weapons hanging over our head?

I can't stand being taxed for other people's benefit, but I see a universal.. general welfare benefit to space research. as in one of the few things the government should do... national defense.

Your rebuttal fails. Look at your original post that I replied to, no one was talking about "defense". You were specifically talking about space "exploration". Nevertheless, you make a great politician by turning around or dodging the actual issue. Here is your original quote:

TheTyke
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I think that in a society unfettered by government taxes and restriction, we'd have seen commericial space exploration instead of the current system of taking money from people by force. Because there would be many more resources available to people, and they could follow their dreams that way. :)

torchbearer
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Your rebuttal fails. Look at your original post that I replied to, no one was talking about "defense". You were specifically talking about space "exploration". Nevertheless, you make a great politician by turning around or dodging the actual issue. Here is your original quote:

Exploration is party of tech advancement.
If we are required to land on an asteroid... how will we know what methods work if not tested?
And testing doesn't require the loss of human life and can prevent a major loss of human life by asteroid collision.
One of which is coming close around 2130, and even closer around 2150...
Nasa research in rocketry has given us our ICBM tech that keep the other nuclear nations in check.
Nasa research is vital for our national security.
Halliburton construction is profiting off of the deaths of our brothers and sisters rebuilding a country we destroyed for no good reason.
Your argument fails.