PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Walk: Green Bay to Minneapolis/St. Paul to Convention?

wgadget
05-25-2008, 12:37 PM
http://blog.nationbuilder.org/2008/05/freedom-walk-08-from-green-bay-to.html

The Good Doctor
05-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Looks like July 4th and the fireworks will be happening in September this year! Gotta love it.

wgadget
05-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Freedom Walk 08 from Green Bay to Minneapolis for the RNC
Yesterday Ron Paul appeared in San Diego for a private brunch followed by a rally and book signing. I was fortunate to be in attendance. I had been discussing an idea for a “Freedom Walk” from Green Bay, WI to Minneapolis with members of the Ron Paul activist community, and availed myself of the opportunity to talk about the idea with Dr. Paul and several members of his staff.

Dr. Paul loves the idea of a Freedom Walk to the Republican National convention host city and has agreed to lead us into the city for the last portion of the Walk!

Can you envision Dr. Paul leading a peaceful, organized force of 25,000 friends of freedom into the city, converging at a rally where a like number of liberty lovers are gathered? It turns out that Congressman Paul has been planning for and is very desirous to see a substantial rally in Minneapolis coincident with the RNC. The idea of a Freedom Walk dovetails very nicely with the campaign’s plans for a big rally. It also coincides with Ron Paul’s plan to announce at that place and time his new Foundation which will carry the Freedom Movement forward after the RNC.

Dr. Paul is also very adamant that this be a peaceful, non-violent, positive exercise in Freedom. I would like to note that he has often spoken of the example of Gandhi and non-violent civil disobedience. The proposed walk would be roughly the same distance and take the same number of days as Gandhi’s Salt March which led to the independence of India from British colonialism (and which was the beginning of a campaign of civil disobedience against an UNFAIR TAX on the production of salt).

The specifics of this Walk and rally are in the development stage. The current conception is this:

* Walk begins in Green Bay, WI at Lambeau Field on August 11 at the Packers’ Monday Night Football home season opener. Ron Paul leads us on the first few miles “kick off” the Walk.

* Gandhi started with 87 walkers committed to going the distance...we will start with no less than this number committed to walking the heartland of America for 251 miles and 3 weeks.

* There will be a logistical team to manage food, water, supplies, belongings, sleeping arrangements ect for the walkers. There will be a medical team.

* There will be a money bomb to raise funds for the project including assisting walkers with their expenses.

* Walkers will be Ambassadors of Liberty, distributing literature and talking to citizens in the dozens of towns they will pass through on the route. Some of the larger cities we will pass through include Wausau and Eau Claire.

* Ron Paul rejoins the Walk for the last leg leading a peaceful force of 25,000 or more into St. Paul 3 weeks later converging at a rally. Ron Paul announces his new Foundation.

* There is also the idea of holding a “Constitutionalist Convention” in a hotel ballroom parallel to the RNC. We will gather to meet, draft and vote on resolutions, form committees of Dr. Paul’s new organization and conduct similar business.

A number of Ron Paul organizers and Freedom activists across the country are already on board with the general thrust of this plan. Please be a part of developing, shaping and putting into practice this vision. We hope that you can see the huge potential here and want to act on it and be a part of it. An organizing committee is forming now.

It is hoped that the July 12 rally and July 13 Convention in Washington DC will be precursors to and prepare the ground for the Minneapolis events. It is not meant to replace those events or efforts or be in competition.

ronpaulhawaii
05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Routing thread for FreedomWalk

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/363/messages/boards/thread/4775186/#18072903

I am so looking forward to these events...

DC - July 12
GB-SP - Mid Augest/Sept

:D

Dave
05-25-2008, 02:23 PM
What is the reason for starting this in Green Bay?

SLSteven
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It sounds like an inspiring event. The more the merrier!

SLSteven
05-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Any parrallels to Gandhi will be helpful in alleviating misconceptions that Paulistas are rabble rousers interested in mischief.

ronpaulhawaii
05-25-2008, 04:29 PM
What is the reason for starting this in Green Bay?

Packers Monday Night Football Opener

;)

The Good Doctor
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
When the Vikings and Jared Allen will make sure Aaron Rodgers wishes that he was on the bench! :D:D:D:D:D

;)

SLSteven
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Ron Paul is the only congressman with Gandhi-like fortitude.

ronpaulhawaii
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Ron Paul is the only congressman with Gandhi-like fortitude.

</box>
Imagine if he made the whole march
<box>

:eek:

Looks like 15 mile days, including restdays. Pretty flat.

Could use locals to advise on ground conditions for the proposed routes. Most exposure, least danger, things ladat...

Dave
05-25-2008, 06:43 PM

;)

Is this of some significance to our movement? Don't misunderstand me - I like the idea. I'm just hoping for a more inspiring reason than MNF for choosing the starting point.

Maybe the organizers think there's lots of great support in Wisc? (I've met some great RP cheeseheads). Maybe there's a really strong RP group in Green Bay? How did RP finish in Wisc? I know he was strong in MN.

ronpaulhawaii
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Is this of some significance to our movement? Don't misunderstand me - I like the idea. I'm just hoping for a more inspiring reason than MNF for choosing the starting point.

Maybe the organizers think there's lots of great support in Wisc? (I've met some great RP cheeseheads). Maybe there's a really strong RP group in Green Bay? How did RP finish in Wisc? I know he was strong in MN.

I don't know what was in the originators mind but...

You ever look at a map surrounding St. Paul? What historical starting point would you suggest, that can be pulled off in the time frame? And the treatment of our movement by the media has been historic, I like the idea...

scotto2008
05-25-2008, 07:42 PM

;)

Oh my God. They call us fanatical. Packer fans make us look like, er... pikers.

freedom1787
05-25-2008, 09:05 PM
How about resurrecting the blimp to lead the journey? You'd also have to have a good contingency of people at the Packers game to make it on Monday night football. How do you think the fans would respond to all of the RP people at the game? We'd have to have cheeseheads with Ron Paul popping out of the top :)

ronpaulhawaii
05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
How about resurrecting the blimp to lead the journey? You'd also have to have a good contingency of people at the Packers game to make it on Monday night football. How do you think the fans would respond to all of the RP people at the game? We'd have to have cheeseheads with Ron Paul popping out of the top :)

:)

I really don't know what kind of tie in they were thinking when this came about. I didn't think attending the game was in the plan. I think they just needed a place to start, and looking at a map, it's either Green Bay or ??? I think the game tie in happened when they considered the time-line. Everything is way preliminary though.

Now that friggin flying BOAT is another story... I actually would love to see it but could not possibly support promoting that, at the expense of the other, much more effective and vital, efforts we are helping to fund. But if "The Billionaire" decided to drop a half a mill, I'd be stoked

July 12 - DC
Late August - SP

Be a part of it

Dave
05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know what was in the originators mind but...

You ever look at a map surrounding St. Paul? What historical starting point would you suggest, that can be pulled off in the time frame? And the treatment of our movement by the media has been historic, I like the idea...

Hmmm...You're right. Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Fargo are about the same distance - all wilderness when America's freedom was being born.

I'll have to buy some new shoes.

ronpaulhawaii
05-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmm...You're right. Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Fargo are about the same distance - all wilderness when America's freedom was being born.

I'll have to buy some new shoes.

be sure and break em in good :)

ronpaulhawaii
05-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Where the rubber meets the road bump