PDA

View Full Version : US Mail: Price Gouging Monopoly (compared to gas)

Matt Collins
05-24-2008, 03:44 PM
U.S. Mail Monopoly: And You Thought Gas Prices Were Bad?

Economist Mark Perry makes this startling point at his excellent blog Carpe Diem:

"Over the last 89 years, the average retail price of gasoline has increased [by a factor of] almost 14, from 25.5 cents per gallon in 1919 to $3.51 per gallon in 2008.

"Over the same period, the price of a first-class stamp in the U.S. has increased [by a factor of] 21, from 2 cents in 1919 to 42 cents in 2008.

"If stamp prices had increased over time at 'only' the rate of gas prices, a first-class stamp would cost only 27.6 cents today instead of 42 cents.

"When gas prices rose last year, Rep. Bart Stupak (D.-MI) introduced 'The Federal Price Gouging Prevention Act,' which would make it a crime to 'sell crude oil or gasoline at a price that is unconscionably excessive.' Shouldn't we now investigate 'unconscionably excessive stamp prices'?

"Monopoly has its privileges."

(Source: Carpe Diem blog:
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/05/and-you-thought-gas-prices-were-high.html

CurtisLow
05-24-2008, 04:22 PM
"When gas prices rose last year, Rep. Bart Stupak (D.-MI) introduced 'The Federal Price Gouging Prevention Act,' which would make it a crime to 'sell crude oil or gasoline at a price that is unconscionably excessive.' Shouldn't we now investigate 'unconscionably excessive stamp prices'

Yep!

RSLudlum
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
do they really have a monopoly when UPS, FedEx, and local couriers (eg bicycle couriers in cities) are available??

pdavis
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
do they really have a monopoly when UPS, FedEx, and local couriers (eg bicycle couriers in cities) are available??

USPS has a statutory monopoly in non-urgent first class mail, US outbound international letters, and the exclusive "right" to put mail in private mailboxes (your mailbox is considered the property of the federal government).

RSLudlum
05-24-2008, 04:49 PM
(your mailbox is considered the property of the federal government).

I've never understood that at all. So if I sell my neighbor my mailbox, can I be charged with selling gov't property. Also, can I be charged for destruction of gov't property if I decide to 'incorporate' my mailbox into my batting practice exercises?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-24-2008, 06:33 PM
U.S. Mail Monopoly: And You Thought Gas Prices Were Bad?

Economist Mark Perry makes this startling point at his excellent blog Carpe Diem:

"Over the last 89 years, the average retail price of gasoline has increased [by a factor of] almost 14, from 25.5 cents per gallon in 1919 to $3.51 per gallon in 2008.

"Over the same period, the price of a first-class stamp in the U.S. has increased [by a factor of] 21, from 2 cents in 1919 to 42 cents in 2008.

"If stamp prices had increased over time at 'only' the rate of gas prices, a first-class stamp would cost only 27.6 cents today instead of 42 cents.

If the price of gas were the only factor, we'd just call it gas instead of postage.

"When gas prices rose last year, Rep. Bart Stupak (D.-MI) introduced 'The Federal Price Gouging Prevention Act,' which would make it a crime to 'sell crude oil or gasoline at a price that is unconscionably excessive.' Shouldn't we now investigate 'unconscionably excessive stamp prices'?

That's stupid for sure.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-25-2008, 01:47 AM
You see? The US Constituton is not perfect. We don't really need the USPS. All we need to do in order to phase it out is to legalize competition. The USPS won't be able to compete and then we just close the bankrupted program down.

Kludge
05-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the post Matt =)

It will be used.

Matt Collins
05-25-2008, 02:37 AM
You see? The US Constituton is not perfect. We don't really need the USPS. All we need to do in order to phase it out is to legalize competition. The USPS won't be able to compete and then we just close the bankrupted program down.

Good point. This is an example of where Constitutionalism and libertarianism indeed do not intersect.

Yes the USPS is Constitutional, however it would still be better if the federal government allowed competition and divested itself of this specific service which would best be offered by a private enterprise.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Good point. This is an example of where Constitutionalism and libertarianism indeed do not intersect.

Yes the USPS is Constitutional, however it would still be better if the federal government allowed competition and divested itself of this specific service which would best be offered by a private enterprise.

Thanks. ;) You got it. I think all we need to do is to allow the people to deliver mail for other people (privatization). The consumer will side with companies they trust and it would also create jobs and that would strengthen the economy.

liberteebell
05-25-2008, 08:09 AM
As much as I despise all government programs, the post office is the least of my worries.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-25-2008, 08:25 AM
As much as I despise all government programs, the post office is the least of my worries.

True. but if we ever can change the system in the future why not? I would as long as I can get it done. We need a libertarian block in Congress to push things like this through.

ARealConservative
05-25-2008, 08:40 AM
in related news:

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65111

youngbuck
05-25-2008, 09:29 AM
in related news:

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65111

What a stupid B*^ch!

Matt Collins
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
in related news: