PDA

View Full Version : New Revolution music video: Steppenwolf Monster 2008

scotto2008
05-24-2008, 12:54 PM
A passionate remake of Steppenwolf's 1969 masterpiece. Includes calls-to-action to support Revolution events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3L1uZ3Chtg

"The spirit was freedom and justice
And its keepers seemed generous and kind
Its leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won’t pay it no mind
'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
And now their vote is a meaningless joke
They babble about law and order
But it’s all just an echo of what they've been told

Yeah, there’s a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there. Watching."

frdmrdr
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
This is simply brilliant. What a piece of work.

lastnymleft
05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
This is simply brilliant. What a piece of work.

+1

Crickett
05-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, now you folks will know what caused the apathy. This was not the original Steppenwolf song (which was MUCH better, btw). Regardless, it came out about 1968. We fought and fought them. They even killed us in broad daylight (Kent State) and they beat us. It is 40 years later. They have grown in strength. We tried to tell people 40 years ago and it did nothing. What now?

inibo
05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Nice work Scotto2008. I loved that song when I was a kid and I've found myself listening to it a lot the last couple of years. America, where are you now, indeed.

scotto2008
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, now you folks will know what caused the apathy. This was not the original Steppenwolf song (which was MUCH better, btw). Regardless, it came out about 1968. We fought and fought them. They even killed us in broad daylight (Kent State) and they beat us. It is 40 years later. They have grown in strength. We tried to tell people 40 years ago and it did nothing. What now?

This sounds like the defeatism of a jaded, cynical ex-hippie. But I know by your posts that you're active and constructive. What gives?

So what is it that "caused the apathy"? Steppenwolf? Inferior cover versions of "Monster"? (no, too ambitious for most solo musicians, but at least I tried).

I think that "they beat us" is an oversimplification. Nixon resigned, the war ended, Kent State is still a national shame, the CIA/FBI were (partially) exposed for the gestapos they are...

Maybe the best we can ever do is hold back the tide of corruption, militarism, oppression and ignorance.

"The Monster" will never be defeated. But still we fight, because we must.

frdmrdr
05-25-2008, 02:46 PM
So what is it that "caused the apathy"? Steppenwolf? Inferior cover versions of "Monster"? (no, too ambitious for most solo musicians, but at least I tried).

Is that you singing and playing too? dayam! I think it kicks ass! I gues I'll have to listen to the stpeenwolf track again - I thought you just put the video over that.

scotto2008
05-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Is that you singing and playing too? dayam! I think it kicks ass! I gues I'll have to listen to the stpeenwolf track again - I thought you just put the video over that.

Yes, I recorded all the music and vocals. I hope I did it justice. I have an iconic respect for the original.

What a great band name too -- Steppenwolf -- and a great book too, by Herman Hesse.

(sigh) I'm dating myself.

frdmrdr
05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice work Scotto2008. I loved that song when I was a kid and I've found myself listening to it a lot the last couple of years. America, where are you now, indeed.

Here is a live version by Steppenwolf. The quality's terrible but John Kay does a great little speech before they launch into the song. He talks about how some songs from the 60s are more appropriate now than they were then, and Monster fits into that category.

This guy really sounds like a RP revolutionary. Very commanding speaking voice too. How about a Ron Paul/John Kay ticket!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbiFBBd7lQ&feature=related