PDA

View Full Version : "You should" means "I will"

Oyate
05-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Interesting point from a person who PM'd me. I know this kind of sounds like a slap in the face, but it's something I was taught by fellow activists years ago and it's a point we all have to remember sometimes.

"You should" means "I will".

Everybody gets the "you shoulds" or the "we shoulds" now and then. You should do this, they should do that, shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Well, you point one finger at somebody else, you got three pointing back at yourself.

In a self-directed movement of individuals (not collectivists), as soon as you think of a good idea, guess who's idea it is? Yours. And guess who bears primary responsibility for doing it? You do.

And why wait around for somebody to do it for you? If it's righteous and cool, as soon as you start doing it, people will naturally want to do it with you.

That's our Arizona methodology. Just ask Ernie Hancock, creator of the "R3VOlUTION". His motto is "I do what I do and sometimes people do it with me". Or our other great Arizona axiom, "if ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right".

As far as the Revolution March in DC on July 12th is concerned, there are tons of people organizing activities before and after this event. They didn't ask our permission, they don't need to, they are just doing it. Where we become aware of them, we try to support them by listing their activities on our website.

HEY, IT'S YOUR MARCH. WE'RE JUST PULLING THE PERMITS AND STUFF FOR YOU.

You got an idea? Go for it. What are you waiting for, approval? OK, fine, you have my approval. I approve of you. You are empowered and approved of.

And if I have offended you and I sound like a smart-alec, blow me off with a sense of humor. If ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right.

Life is short. Let's be activists.

Oyate
05-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Yup, they got me on a lecture. I'm a-lecturing your selves. I'm a-gonna lecture on you folks. I'll tell you a recent story.

So here's Ernest Hancock, creator of the R3VOlUTION logo along with Dave Gallager who recently moved to Philadelphia. Gallager is the unrecognized co-progenitor of the R3VOlUTION logo, and that's all it was. That was the beauty of it. Hancock and Gallager invented the "R3VOlUTION" as a logo and we went to work exporting these signs and the methods used to make them nation wide.

And that's all it was. A logo. but they did it smart. They didn't say "this is OUR logo", they didn't say "get on board with our program", they just gave it away as a logo. As an IDEA.

And we spread it, then it got legs on it's own and before you knew it, people all over the place were improving on it and making better and more artistic signs than we were.

And next thing you know, Dr. Paul's congressional peers are telling him "I don't know what you are doing, but I see your signs all over my district".

"His signs". Dr. Paul didn't even know about this initiative. He had nothing to do with it. HE CANNOT BE BLAMED OR CREDITED. We have no approval from anybody. We don't need it. We just did it and people decided to do it with us. It's fun.

So that's one angle on the R3VOlUTION story. It's not the only one. It's your story. It's our story. It's my story this time because I'm the one telling it.

Now you go and make it your story if you haven't already and if you have, make it longer and better.

Don't wait for permission. Wait for ideas. And when you get one, just do it.

Pauliana
05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Yup. Be the little red hen.

Deborah K
05-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Listen to him, people. He knows of what he speaks.

scotto2008
05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Listen to him, people. He knows of what he speaks.

We should -- I mean, I WILL take this to heart and try to put it into action.

Inspiring post. Isn't there a contender NFL team that has a big sign on their wall that says something like this?

Blame no one
Do something

Haven't had as much time for TV sports since the Revolution began...

american.swan
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Interesting point from a person who PM'd me. I know this kind of sounds like a slap in the face, but it's something I was taught by fellow activists years ago and it's a point we all have to remember sometimes.

"You should" means "I will".

Everybody gets the "you shoulds" or the "we shoulds" now and then. You should do this, they should do that, shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Well, you point one finger at somebody else, you got three pointing back at yourself.

In a self-directed movement of individuals (not collectivists), as soon as you think of a good idea, guess who's idea it is? Yours. And guess who bears primary responsibility for doing it? You do.

And why wait around for somebody to do it for you? If it's righteous and cool, as soon as you start doing it, people will naturally want to do it with you.

That's our Arizona methodology. Just ask Ernie Hancock, creator of the "R3VOlUTION". His motto is "I do what I do and sometimes people do it with me". Or our other great Arizona axiom, "if ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right".

As far as the Revolution March in DC on July 12th is concerned, there are tons of people organizing activities before and after this event. They didn't ask our permission, they don't need to, they are just doing it. Where we become aware of them, we try to support them by listing their activities on our website.

HEY, IT'S YOUR MARCH. WE'RE JUST PULLING THE PERMITS AND STUFF FOR YOU.

You got an idea? Go for it. What are you waiting for, approval? OK, fine, you have my approval. I approve of you. You are empowered and approved of.

And if I have offended you and I sound like a smart-alec, blow me off with a sense of humor. If ya ain't having fun, ya ain't doing it right.

Life is short. Let's be activists.

"Post of the Year" Nominee