PDA

View Full Version : Why are we not trying to elect Rand Paul to an office????

Chiznaddy
05-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Why are we not trying to elect Rand Paul to an office????

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=139305

yaz
05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
because he's not running for one

rathskeller
05-24-2008, 06:07 PM
You want to forcibly DRAFT politicians now?

I don't think Ron Paul would approve of that.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
You want to forcibly DRAFT politicians now?

I don't think Ron Paul would approve of that.

What I really want to hear... is what does rathskeller think?

skyorbit
05-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah. I would have thought that he would have jumped at the chance, and perhaps run as a US House Rep in his District. -- or perhaps even Senator if they're a Senate race.

Tracy

Zera
05-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Not entirely sure what Rand wants to do. He probably will do something eventually, but again, I'm not sure if he intends to follow in the steps of his father. If he does, we'll surely work out ass of to get him into office.

CUnknown
05-24-2008, 07:57 PM
You guys know that this was the way things were originally supposed to be done -- the candidate himself wouldn't actually campaign, but he/she would be drafted by their friends and their friends would do the campaigning and put them on the ballot.

I agree that he needs to be on a ballot somewhere, regardless of what he actually wants.

Shii
05-24-2008, 07:58 PM
My impression of Rand at the Boston Tea Party is that he was quite reluctant. I don't think he wants to hold public office.

NightOwl
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
My impression of Rand at the Boston Tea Party is that he was quite reluctant. I don't think he wants to hold public office.

I believe he is interested, but that this particular moment in his life is not the right one.

erin moore
05-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Why are we not trying to elect Rand Paul to an office????

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=139305

His wife, Kelly. They have young sons and she dosen't want that life for their family.

Knightskye
05-24-2008, 10:43 PM
His wife, Kelly. They have young sons and she dosen't want that life for their family.

Okay, we'll wait till his kids our grown up before we draft him for Congress.

Roxi
05-24-2008, 11:12 PM
and he has a successful medical practice as well, he also helps his patients that can't afford to pay him.... the apple doesn't even come off the tree :)

Alex Libman
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Attention shoppers, we have an important announcement.

RON PAUL
WILL NOT
BE ON
THE BALLOT
IN NOVEMBER!
PERIOD!

Have a nice day. :cool:

Dave39168
05-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I expect Rand to run for something eventually

Alex Libman
05-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes, but he's sticking around as a Republican U.S. congressman from TX for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, the torch of the revolution must pass to a new generation of libertarians...

spotics
05-25-2008, 01:54 AM
As someone who has spoken with Rand and went to college in Rand's hometown of Bowling Green, KY I hope I can answer the question. Pay attention because this is a long response with several answers.

From my conversation Rand does not believe he can win office at this time, and I believe he has good reason to believe it.

No state has a money machine like Senator Mitch McConnell. When it comes to selling out to the special interests for money nobody does it better than Mitch for the rich. You've probably read about the Republican Party's money troubles. Well thanks to McConnell's money machine the Republican Party of Kentucky (or RPK) will have no trouble out financing the Democrats this November. The McConnell money machine freely chooses all GOP candidates in this state all the way down to state senate. Rand will never be welcome with that crowd.

Currently Rand's congressional district (KY 2) is occupied by Republican Ron Lewis who is retiring for various reasons (he didn't do well in 06, doesn't like being in the minority party, wants to spend time with the wife and kids). There might have been a strong effort to draft Rand, however Lewis did not formally withdraw until the last day to file. He did this so his chief of staff could get the Republican Party nomination because he knew McConnell would make sure his chosen crony would get it. Despite Lewis' efforts McConnell did find out and his crony did file before the deadline.

Rand would also have a hard time winning other offices. The county judge-executive (a county mayor) in Rand's home county is horrible on spending, eminent domain, and taxes however he is the most powerful Republican judge-executive in the state and would be tough to beat.

Rand could try to run for state rep where he would face a Democrat and might be able to unite the GOP in his favor. However the Democrat is the speaker of the house, which means it would be a difficult fight.

That said, I believe there will be a day where Rand runs for office. If the Democrats win (I don't think they will) the second congressional district in November, I expect a movement to draft Rand will be started. There already are some people who want him to run for US senate in 2010, but that would be extremely difficult especially if Senator Jim "what good are civil liberties if your dead" Bunning seeks re-election.

V4Vendetta
05-25-2008, 08:18 AM
wait for 2012

idiom
05-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Does someone want to clue Alex in on our persistent typo?

JMann
05-25-2008, 08:35 AM
because he's not running for one

Sometime Ron Paul supporters have trouble figuring out things that are so obvious to 85% of the population.;)

BillyDkid
05-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, Rand is the obvious choice to take up the mantle. I would like to see him run for the GOP nomination in 2012. It seems to me, the sooner we get started the better.

TruthisTreason
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
He'll have my vote if he ever decides to run. :cool: