PDA

View Full Version : Platform Opinions?

MozoVote
05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
{The proposed platform is out} (http://www.ncgop.org/gopconvention08/documents/2008_ncgop_platform_draft_changes_accepted.doc)

Overall, it doesn't seem too bad, from the frame of reference of something meant for the GOP. Since their goal is to get the platform through with a minumum of friction and delay, the committee may have even factored in the "Paul" contingent as one of the squabbling tribes of the convention by a little bit.

Some of the planks such as repealing the Campaign Finance Act, (Article VI, section 7) and affirming American sovereignty (Article X, section 6) sound very Constitutional, and Paulian.

{The Resolutions} (http://www.ncgop.org/gopconvention08/documents/2008_resolutions.doc) look familiar, from district conventions. These are GOP "red meat" - antiAbortion, antiGay, stuff. The driver's license reform is a good issue, though. Other states are really getting sick of illegals showing up with NC drivers' licenses.

The "support our troops" resolution seems to be carefully worded. Since it focuses on the servicemen (not the political "leaders" who chose to send them to the Middle East) - it sounds like something I can still vote for.

jaustin168
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok, I've read them both and I'm holding my judgement. There are some good things in these forms and there are some issues that seem to follow the thought of "lets keep banging our heads against the wall, maybe it will work this time."I think its termed insainity, right? Even so, most of these issues fall into the realm of states rights. We should be limiting the power of the Federal Government, not the individual nor the rights of our state to choose how we live. With that said, I hope to go to the convention to convence our party to take a stand and declare that North Carolina is and shall always be a sovereign state, not held to the dictates of the Fed unless it is Constitutional. Until we claim our right as a sovereign state, as sovereign individuals we are and will be at the mercy of those in Washington. I'm not advocating secession or anything of the like, but we must reduce the infuence of the Federal Government, address the issues that arrise in our state and be what our founding fathers always thought we would be. We can be those people, and we are.