PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's bills flop

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Hello,

I was wondering why so many of Congressman Paul's pieces of legislation, (like the Tax-Free Tips Act (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-3664)), fail to make it past committee? Has Ron Paul authored any laws?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Mahkato
05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Because most of the people in Congress have no respect for the Constitution, so they vote against the bills that Ron Paul brings up. When everyone else is concerned about their own grip on ill-gotten power, they don't vote for things that will take that power away and put it back where it belongs.

therealjjj77
05-24-2008, 07:00 AM
When popularity is more important to you, you'd rather addressed perceived issues instead of real issues. Ron Paul is more concerned with addressing the real issues.

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-24-2008, 11:48 AM
In terms of getting votes, this just seems like it would be a marketable bill to cosponsor. I know Mr. Paul is called, "Dr. No," but he doesn't seem aloof or unfriendly. Where all his Congress friends?

Kludge
05-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Where all his Congress friends?

Oh don't worry, Kucinich was there.

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh don't worry, Kucinich was there.

:rolleyes:
:D

I guess that's what I get for championing an introvert.

RSLudlum
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Hello,

Has Ron Paul authored any laws?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Yes, one big one that allows americans to still have some sense of real money in the form of The Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985,,,it is because of this law that we now have American Gold & Silver Eagles. :) :) :)

Michael Landon
05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
He needs to receive more co-sponsors or else they just end up lost in committee.

- ML

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
He needs to receive more co-sponsors or else they just end up lost in committee.

- ML

Can a politician maintains some integrity and still be a political hobnobbing ace?

--Omphfullas Zamboni

ronpaul4ever2008
05-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Some of his bills that don't make it past committee are on things that no sane person thinks would be workable in today's society. His bills to abolish the Federal Reserve and eliminate the federal income tax on a whim are two examples. Paul doesn't really have many friends in Congress because he's viewed as a kook and that's just the truth. They don't want to be seen co-sponsoring one of his bills. Kucinich is the same way for the Democrats.

porcupine
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
The federal government is a lost cause. Join the Free State Project if you want to have liberty in your lifetime.

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Paul doesn't really have many friends in Congress because he's viewed as a kook and that's just the truth. They don't want to be seen co-sponsoring one of his bills. Kucinich is the same way for the Democrats.

I don't think he is a kook. To me, his demeanor and congressional addresses do not scream, "tinfoil loony tune". Paul should have solid support from Congress-people who support:

1. Pro-gun issues
2. Fiscal conservatism
3. The pro-life stance

I am to conclude that Paul's lack of cosponsors in at least these three areas is due to an image problem? If Capitol Hill were Junior High, Ron would not sit at the, "cool kids'" table?

brandon
05-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Some of his bills that don't make it past committee are on things that no sane person thinks would be workable in today's society. His bills to abolish the Federal Reserve and eliminate the federal income tax on a whim are two examples. Paul doesn't really have many friends in Congress because he's viewed as a kook and that's just the truth. They don't want to be seen co-sponsoring one of his bills. Kucinich is the same way for the Democrats.

Wow, for someone with a username such as your own, you sure have a low opinion of Paul. You seem confused.

SeanEdwards
05-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Some of his bills that don't make it past committee are on things that no sane person thinks would be workable in today's society.

Poison the well much? Is that what you do? Go into forums and resort to logical fallacies because you can't form coherent arguments in support of your opinion?

I do believe the term assclown applies here.

:cool:

Mahkato
05-28-2008, 07:18 AM
FYI, ronpaul4ever2008 doesn't have too many favorable things to say (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?searchid=2049019) about Ron Paul. Dissent is fine, but only well-reasoned and relevant dissent.

Acala
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Ron Paul has a hard time launching successful bills because he never compromises. If you think that Congress has anything to do with legislating in the interest of the people, you are mistaken. Congress is a brokerage house for the rights to pillage the treasury and the people. It is all about power games, not about who your friends are or whether you make rational arguments in support of your legislation.

If congressman A wants to get congressman B to support a bill, he must in turn support congressman B's bill. And if you want your bills to get out of committee, you must have the support of the party machinery that controls the chair of the committee. If you want the support of the Party, you must support the bills the party wants you to support. Ron Paul will not play those games. He supports laws that are consistent with his principles and opposes those that are not. As a consequence, the party tries to squelch all RP's bills and nobody will stand with him to resist.

Congress is corrupt. And just as truth is treason in the empire of lies, legislation aimed at restoring the Republic is kooky to a congress that covets totalitarianism.

acptulsa
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Ron Paul has a hard time launching successful bills because he never compromises. If you think that Congress has anything to do with legislating in the interest of the people, you are mistaken. Congress is a brokerage house for the rights to pillage the treasury and the people. It is all about power games, not about who your friends are or whether you make rational arguments in support of your legislation.

If congressman A wants to get congressman B to support a bill, he must in turn support congressman B's bill. And if you want your bills to get out of committee, you must have the support of the party machinery that controls the chair of the committee. If you want the support of the Party, you must support the bills the party wants you to support. Ron Paul will not play those games. He supports laws that are consistent with his principles and opposes those that are not. As a consequence, the party tries to squelch all RP's bills and nobody will stand with him to resist.

Congress is corrupt. And just as truth is treason in the empire of lies, legislation aimed at restoring the Republic is kooky to a congress that covets totalitarianism.

So in other words, troll4ever, Ron Paul does indeed champion bills that no one but a kook thinks could work in a modern society--bills that preserve, protect and defend an honest, responsible, and Constitutional government.

jmdrake
05-28-2008, 02:05 PM
FYI, ronpaul4ever2008 doesn't have too many favorable things to say (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?searchid=2049019) about Ron Paul. Dissent is fine, but only well-reasoned and relevant dissent.

And this out of < 10 posts total....go ahead. You can say it. He's a t-r-o-l-l.

ronpaul4ever2008
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think he is a kook. To me, his demeanor and congressional addresses do not scream, "tinfoil loony tune". Paul should have solid support from Congress-people who support:

1. Pro-gun issues
2. Fiscal conservatism
3. The pro-life stance

I am to conclude that Paul's lack of cosponsors in at least these three areas is due to an image problem? If Capitol Hill were Junior High, Ron would not sit at the, "cool kids'" table?

I don't think he's a kook either and I never said he was. But he certainly is viewed that way by many in the 2 major parties and if you deny that, you're just lying to yourself. You saw they way the other candidates treated him in debates.

I agree about those 3 items you listed. The problem is, his bills are often too extreme for many politicians to attach their name to. His We the People Act and Sanctity of Life Act want to strip the Federal Courts from hearing any cases regarding certain issues and leave it all up to the states. So sodomy laws are back on the books in Texas meaning gay people can't have sex in the privacy of their own homes. Laws prohibiting atheists from holding office are back on the books in the states that still had those laws in effect.

Abolish this, abolish that, nobody is going to sign on to that. Many Congressmen play to the center to get a shot at a Senator job or in a Presidential cabinet and to get re-elected. Paul doesn't do that and he doesn't compromise as somebody else mentioned. It's great that he sticks to his principles, but some compromise is needed in order to get stuff done.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Do you understand, that too much "stuff" is getting done. That's the [problem.

RSLudlum
05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Do you understand, that too much "stuff" is getting done. That's the [problem.

That's the biggest problem...Obama is promising everybody some change in their pocket, while McCain is promising more war!

This RP quote says it all:

" I do believe that if the Democrats and the Republicans played more baseball and legislated a lot less, the country would be much better off. I am convinced the annual baseball game played by the Republicans and the Democrats must be considered one of the most productive events in which the Members of Congress participate."

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think he's a kook either and I never said he was. But he certainly is viewed that way by many in the 2 major parties and if you deny that, you're just lying to yourself. You saw they way the other candidates treated him in debates.

I agree about those 3 items you listed. The problem is, his bills are often too extreme for many politicians to attach their name to. His We the People Act and Sanctity of Life Act want to strip the Federal Courts from hearing any cases regarding certain issues and leave it all up to the states. So sodomy laws are back on the books in Texas meaning gay people can't have sex in the privacy of their own homes. Laws prohibiting atheists from holding office are back on the books in the states that still had those laws in effect.

Abolish this, abolish that, nobody is going to sign on to that. Many Congressmen play to the center to get a shot at a Senator job or in a Presidential cabinet and to get re-elected. Paul doesn't do that and he doesn't compromise as somebody else mentioned. It's great that he sticks to his principles, but some compromise is needed in order to get stuff done.

Hello,

I recognize that, when speaking about Congressman Paul, you assumed the perspective of his colleagues on Capitol Hill. Thank you for your thoughts.

I also understand the point you make about compromise. My problem is that the sweeping majority of Congress-people are over-compromised. By drafting and voting to pass legislation that is redundant, ostensibly popular, heavily weighted by unrelated content, watered down or special-interest oriented, representatives are doing no service to the people. Really, politicians seem to be more interested in addressing flavor-of-the-day problems with gimmicky solutions, (see stimulus package). It is a disheartening pattern to witness. I want change.

True, Congressman Paul is a purist. Purists have few options in order to impact government. On the one hand, Mr. Paul could compromise and perhaps make strides on one of his bills. Alternatively, he could find some new friends. This is my hope for the Revolution; elect more Ron Paul Republicans. That way, civil liberties, economy, and sovereignty will be considered more carefully in the House and Senate.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

anonymous6728
05-29-2008, 01:35 AM
You've probably heard the one about this guy that falls in love with a glitzy opera singer. He sends her flowers, asks her out, they date for a time and then the man proposes to the prima donna. She accepts and they elope in Vegas.

On the night of the honeymoon, the man is overflowing with joy. His dream has come true. The bride makes her grand entrance and gets ready to come to bed. The prima donna pulls off a wig to reveal a balding head covered with liver spots. With a flick of her hand, she pulls out a glass eyeball and puts it in a cup; next come the false teeth. She then leans forward and pulls out a pair of falsies and removes a wooden leg.

A horrified man is trembling with fright as his bride climbs into bed. As his teeth chatter, the man blurts out the words, "Sing, woman, sing!"

So here we are, 8 years later. 9/11 was the shock of the honeymoon and Uncle Sam went off to war to fight the enemy in his nightmares. Uncle Sam has gone insane. We are fighting a war with enemies that don't exist and have a domestic policy designed by a paranoid schizophrenic.

It's no wonder people are freaked and scrambling like rats on a sinking ship. Some people looking for a messiah gravitated to Ron Paul in the hope sanity would be restored to America. It didn't happen. Too many people are living in Uncle Sam's paranoid delusion and are looking for a panacea to relieve their unbearable anxiety. It's no wonder ideas of secession are now entertained.

The federal government is a lost cause. Join the Free State Project if you want to have liberty in your lifetime.

As long as you are trapped in this crumbling "Matrix," you will be doomed to live out the paranoid delusions of Uncle Sam. There is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Uncle Sam's paranoid schizophrenia is spreading like wildfire and will consume the entire world.

If you don't find the "red pill," this anxiety and torment is yours for eternity. The "blue pills" are quickly losing their tranquilizing effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaHCLlBkWU

Paul Revered
05-29-2008, 01:50 AM
When our representatives vote against Ron Paul's Bills, they identify themselves. As they have marked themselves as opposed to what is in our best interest; it is in our best interest to vote them out of office. They are providing the ammunition. All that we need to do, is collect it and use it.

bander87
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
I would like to throw into the basket that...

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.