PDA

View Full Version : Spat Between Senator Hemmings and Republican Delegate: The Rest of the Story

IPSecure
05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I am speechless, otherwise I would be screaming WTF...

Link (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?c904b967-d239-4bba-b5a8-2b085f108b4d)

As a witness to the incident described in Douglas Oringer's letter, "Hawaii Republican Party, the Party of Aloha?" on May 20, 2008, I felt it necessary to address his arguments. See the story here: Hawaii Reporter (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?b24eb212-b252-4ac1-bc9f-70020769ad54)

There is another side to this story that many have neglected to share. Let me set the scene for readers to explain some of the "emotional" confrontations that occurred this past weekend.

Prior to the Hawaii Republican Party State Convention, the Nevada Republican Party held their own convention in which chaos ruled the day. Unruly behavior on the part of Ron Paul supporters forced Party officials to end their convention without completing Party business.

Then, just weeks before the Hawaii Republican Party Convention commenced, many Party members received phone calls and emails from a group of Ron Paul supporters that claimed John McCain had cancer and therefore could not be President, that other local Party Officials had cancer and could not continue to serve, and that McCain supporters were actually communists.

Throughout the Convention, these same Ron Paul supporters continued to spread similar fallacious rumors in an obvious fit of desperation. While these actions are not necessarily indicative of all Ron Paul supporters, it was clear from the beginning a group was planning to take over the State Convention. Based on this knowledge, the only thing Party Officials could do was prepare for the worst, a potentially hostile takeover.

Former Party Chair, Sam Aiona, was aware that this divide meant many members would leave the convention unsatisfied with the results, yet he willingly volunteered to sit in the "hot seat" and act as Convention Chair (Emcee).

Fast forward to Saturday, the convening of the Convention, tension is high and candidate loyalty is stronger than ever for McCain and Ron Paul supporters alike. Throughout the day, Ron Paul supporters continuously screamed "Point of Order" from the Convention floor in order to delay and disrupt proceedings.

Aiona was about to enjoy a break when Oringer confronted him about his conversation with Senator Hemmings. I was present as Oringer reiterated the scenario and demanded a response from Aiona. It resembled a child telling on his brother for taking his G. I. Joe toy.

I can assure everyone that Aiona did take the time to listen to Oringer when no one else would, but he was not satisfied with any of the answers offered. Later in the day, outside the convention room, he again provoked Aiona for a guarantee that Senator Hemmings would face repercussions. These requests were unreasonable and not within the scope of Aiona's role as Convention Chair. The issue was between Senator Fred Hemmings and Oringer.

I am glad that Oringer addressed his concerns directly with Hemmings because that was the most appropriate action. His attack on Aiona, however, is unwarranted and misdirected.

Eliza Talbot is a former employee of the Hawaii Republican Party and a member of the convention staff.

Sandra
05-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Then, just weeks before the Hawaii Republican Party Convention commenced, many Party members received phone calls and emails from a group of Ron Paul supporters that claimed John McCain had cancer and therefore could not be President, that other local Party Officials had cancer and could not continue to serve, and that McCain supporters were actually communists.

This is new info that has come only from him. Where is his source? Ask him please!

Sandra
05-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I meant her.