PDA

View Full Version : Problems with "The Revolution..A Manifesto"

Todd
05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm over half way through and it and it is a fantastic read, but one major problem sticks out to me....
Who the heck was the editor for this book? I have found more grammar and spelling erros than a freshman's book report. Somebody please get in touch with the second edition people for corrections.
When you see that many mistakes over a page an a half, you wonder if someone wasn't trying to sabotage it on purpose.

Anybody have any similar problems?

Black Dude
05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I haven't read the whole thing yet (I bought it for my mom for mother's day and only got through a few chapters before giving it to her).
but...
I do seem to recall a spelling error. I think it was the word "government". It was split between two lines. I didn't think it took too much away from the content, but obviously it was noticeable.

mczerone
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Incidents? Page Numbers?

I saw a single typo: in a quote there was "if" instead of "of".

There were a few places where the grammar caught me as tough, and I had to re-read a sentence to understand it, but never where it was wrong, just that it under emphasized the pacing and took a second to pull apart which modifier went where, but when doesn't that happen in a political book?

NightOwl
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm over half way through and it and it is a fantastic read, but one major problem sticks out to me....
Who the heck was the editor for this book? I have found more grammar and spelling erros than a freshman's book report. Somebody please get in touch with the second edition people for corrections.
When you see that many mistakes over a page an a half, you wonder if someone wasn't trying to sabotage it on purpose.

Anybody have any similar problems?

Say what? Grammar errors? Let's hear some. We caught a grand total of two spelling errors (which were obviously just typos) in an earlier thread.

Seriously, let's hear some grammatical errors from the book. I've read this book three times and my editor's eye caught not one.

brandon
05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I have found more grammar and spelling erros than a freshman's book report.

errors

NightOwl
05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
And no, "marihuana" is NOT a spelling error, because 1) it is a legitimate alternate spelling, and 2) the only times it is spelled that way in the text are cases in which Dr. Paul is quoting someone else who spelled it that way.

Bradley in DC
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
errors

Nice. :)

Bruno
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
errors

Lol. :)

goldstandard
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I was the editor. Muahahaha...:D
Look at my post count..
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/7/P/bush_evil.jpg

Todd
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Nice. :)

that one's is definately on Me. That's why I wasn't an editor. :o:p

BillyDkid
05-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I bought the book and the cd's. It's just easier to listen on my way to and from work than it is to read. Honestly, I feel like I have read to many books in my life. I'm tired of it and probably a little lazy. So, I can't comment about the errors, but the narrator does pronounce a couple of words wrong - no big deal.

ryanmkeisling
05-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Say what? Grammar errors? Let's hear some. We caught a grand total of two spelling errors (which were obviously just typos) in an earlier thread.

Seriously, let's hear some grammatical errors from the book. I've read this book three times and my editor's eye caught not one.

I have read it several times as well and I think I saw one error in spelling. The thing with grammar rules is they change every time the MLA puts out a new handbook. It used to be wrong to start a sentence with And or But, while ain't used to not be considered a word. Definitions change as well.... English is the idiot language, as far as languages go. I much prefer Sanskrit which is a very logical language that someone actually thought about.

JS4Pat
05-24-2008, 05:21 PM
My biggest complaint is with the audio version.

Why didn't they choose a more dynamic reader???
Someone who was excited about the subject matter.

This reading would put you to sleep if the material weren't so rivetting.

I really wish Ron Paul himself read it.

malkusm
05-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Pg. 93:

"...and to condition them to accept the ever-growing burdens that the political class imposes on the private sector..."

As "imposes" refers to the "burdens," which is plural, it should be "impose."

There was something somewhere else but I can't find it now.

MRoCkEd
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Pg. 93:

"...and to condition them to accept the ever-growing burdens that the political class imposes on the private sector..."

There was something somewhere else but I can't find it now.
?
correct me if i am wrong, but the verb tense reflects the subject doing the "imposing," which is the political class [singular]

The political class imposes burdens.

Another example
I eat bagels.
Bagels is plural, but it wouldn't be "I eats bagels" because "I" is singular.

ClassicalLiberal
05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I noticed a couple of typos along the way, but didn't take notes. Nothing very serious stuck out in that regard. The one error I do recall, but again I didn't note the page, is that he used "flaunt" in a sentence where he meant "flout". This seems to becoming a common enough error that I expect that in another fifty years "flaunt" will mean "flout" and then commentators will have to come up with some new word to describe what drag queens do in gay pride parades.

As for grammar rules - hey peeps, we're all for individual liberty. Grammar rules are not laws mandated by the Constitution, they're just a snap shot of commonly accepted conventions at any given time. They're flexible and they change. Of course if one flouts grammar conventions too much, one might be guilty of flaunting one's ignorance. But creativity, and sometimes just common mistakes, keep the language and its "rules" evolving.

On the whole, I thought the book was good read and a commendable introduction to the ideas that energized Ron Paul's supporters.

Knightskye
05-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Pg. 93:

The burdens aren't doing the imposing, the "political class" is doing the imposing, so that sentence is fine.

Go look for an actual error, please. :)

malkusm
05-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Haha....well what do you expect when you ask a statistics major at a tech school to proofread? I haven't taken an english class in 5 years or so....I guess it just came off awkward for me.

angelatc
05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
?
correct me if i am wrong, but the verb tense reflects the subject doing the "imposing," which is the political class [singular]

The political class imposes burdens.

Another example
I eat bagels.
Bagels is plural, but it wouldn't be "I eats bagels" because "I" is singular.

Yes, but some subjects are plural even if they're singular. In the above example, the political class denotes a group of people, so I suspect it should be treated as a plural. If the word was "couple" instead of "class," I'd be sure of it.