PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul’s Best You Tube Moment

qwerty
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Here it is, the one Ron Paul You Tube that captures it all, Mike Huckabee’s innocence, Mitt Romney’s regret and John McCain’s cynicism. Here are all the dynamics that have made the Republican nomination process for this 2008 cycle a fascinating exercise in futility.

The cast:

Of course there is Ron Paul himself, incredulous at the irrelevant, tactical conversations swirling around him when the grand strategic policies upon which those conversations are built is virtually ignored. It is as if we are all in Alice and Wonderland. He is speaking truth and no one else on the panel, including the media hosts – especially the media hosts – seem to get it.

Thank God for the spontaneous audience outbursts of applause for Ron Paul. That’s what helps me keep my bearings and realize that I am not losing it in my old age. Having been a shill in practice debates for George Herbert Walker Bush, I know full well how the tickets are apportioned at these events and I can tell you that a good hunk of those applauding Congressman Paul are actually McCain-Romney supporters. They just can’t resist applauding arguments that make sense, even if the comments are coming from the opposition. You can be sure, based on the previous debates, that all of them have been given strict instructions, “Now whatever you do, don’t applaud Ron Paul.” And still they can’t control it.

Even beyond the enthusiastic applause of the undisciplined solders, others are sitting glumly, hands on their laps but thinking, “Why doesn’t my guy make sense like that? Oh well, too much for my little, tiny brain to grasp. Besides, I have a picture shaking hands with my guy and that will sell a lot of insurance policies in Fresno. Who is this Ron Paul anyway? He can’t win.”

But what I like most about this Ron Paul You Tube is the reaction of the other players.

There is Mike Huckabee looking on wistfully, as if to say, “Gee, how does he get this stuff? This is so good. Why can’t I think of that? But it appears to be quite systematic, not just sound bites. It is all so interconnected. That could take some real study, might have to read the constitution and who has time for that?”

Then there is Mitt Romney. Silent but clearly disturbed. “I follow what he is saying. I could have gone that route too, that would have been so simple, and honest and fun, but that is surely not what politics is all about. The die was cast when I ran for governor of Massachusetts and had to take positions that now haunt me. A fella has to do what he has to do and I am such a good person, but I have to get elected to do anything good. Can’t do anything good without power. And this guy may be right about everything but this guy is not going to get elected. I know that. And I can’t go back and change what happened. I have to play with the cards I am dealt. At least I have gone further than my Dad. Dear Dad, ‘You seein this? Forgive the boy for all this political stuff but you know very well it is necessary for victory. Yes, it’s dirty business, but you know very well that this is how it’s done, Dad.’”

But the best part of this You Tube is the cynically amused John McCain, smirking and rolling his eyes as Ron Paul talks, looking very much as if he were in more pain than those heroic years at the Hanoi Hilton. He seems to be saying, “Mr. Paul, this is not about logic. If the world were a logical place men would ride side saddle, not women. Go ahead, keep it up, have your fun now, play to the audience, because when these debates are over you are toast and you are going to be toast during my administration so get on with your book tour and lectures, you are not a serious candidate and we all know that, if the people in this audience don’t, the media does and they will determine who hears what comes out of this debate and it isn’t going to be you my friend. In fact, this is not a debate, that is your first mistake, this is a campaign commercial for my candidacy. All your ‘truth’ will get you a beer and a bestseller. You really crack me up.”

And now, without further ado….. here it is, my favorite You Tube of Ron Paul….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHTCG3gGJKQ

http://dougwead.wordpress.com/

:cool: