PDA

View Full Version : Don't waste your vote: vote for someone who is actually on the ballot

dvdrink
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I support Paul and hope he gets as many delegates as possible. However I don't see the GOP warmongers giving him a speaking role at the convention. I only see them continuing to try to marginalize us.

In the LP I'm voting for Barr and hope everyone else will support the Libertarian candidate in November as well. While I think writing in "Ron Paul" is honorable, in reality it won't do any good. Write-in's are not even counted. You have to be registered as a write-in candidate in order for it to even be counted.

Therefore if you write in "Ron Paul" it won't have much of an impact. A better impact for the cause of liberty would be to vote for someone who is actually on the ballot. Let's send a message for liberty that will be seen publicly and vote for someone who is actually on the ballot.

berrybunches
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I agree. Your vote doesn't get counted in the % of people who threw protest votes if you vote for Paul. At least vote for Chuck Baldwin or the LP candidate who has almost identical platforms (especially Baldwin)

Bruno
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
If you vote for your principles it is never a wasted vote.

StateofTrance
05-22-2008, 11:44 PM
You know why Ron Paul didn't do good in the elections?

Because of this "don't waste your vote" thing.

Either you stand behind your principles or just be like any other brainwashed fuck.

Feelgood
05-22-2008, 11:45 PM

Either you stand behind your principles or just be like any other brainwashed fuck.

+1 QFT

crazyfingers
05-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I'll probably end up voting for Chuck Baldwin, although I'm not especially comfortable with the religious nature of the CP. I'll definitely support the LP nominee if its Ruwart, Kubby or Smith.

MGreen
05-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Voting for Paul in my state primary was a waste. I don't mind wasting it again in November.

dvdrink
05-23-2008, 06:12 AM
It's never a wasted vote when you vote for someone who is ACTUALLY ON THE BALLOT. Voting for Ron Paul was never a wasted vote WHEN HE WAS ON THE BALLOT.

However, if you're writing in Ron Paul's name and he is NOT registered to be on the ballot, then you truly are wasting your vote because IT'S NOT EVEN COUNTED and you might as well be voting for Mickey Mouse.

Instead, why not vote for Baldwin or the LP candidate... candidates who will have similar platforms as Ron Paul.

Do something useful with your vote.

I'm just talking reality here, take it or leave it.

yongrel
05-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Or I do what I damn well please, and vote my conscience. I will be writing in Ron Paul.

Printo
05-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree with you dvdrink. Voting for Paul when he is not on the ballot is stupid. Its a sorry attempt at a "protest vote" because no one will ever see or hear about it, only that person will know.

Voting LP or CP is not a compromise of your principles. They essentially have the same views as Ron Paul does. By voting CP or LP, the country will be able to see the dissatisfaction of the GOP voters and changes will begin to occur. They'll have to change, or just keep losing elections.

JK/SEA
05-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Hmmm...well, my suggestion would be to use the absentee ballot option. If RP is not on the Absentee ballot, write him in anyway. And if/when they toss it out, it gets counted as a non vote. This gets tabulated and recorded. If a State gets a high percentage of 'tossed' ballots, this will get someones attention, and looking for a reason why. Media would cover this.

I plan on writing in RP. I have to live with myself.

Sandra
05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sick of low posters coming in here telling me who to vote for. Two in just this thread.

Perry
05-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I support Paul and hope he gets as many delegates as possible. However I don't see the GOP warmongers giving him a speaking role at the convention. I only see them continuing to try to marginalize us.

In the LP I'm voting for Barr and hope everyone else will support the Libertarian candidate in November as well. While I think writing in "Ron Paul" is honorable, in reality it won't do any good. Write-in's are not even counted. You have to be registered as a write-in candidate in order for it to even be counted.

Therefore if you write in "Ron Paul" it won't have much of an impact. A better impact for the cause of liberty would be to vote for someone who is actually on the ballot. Let's send a message for liberty that will be seen publicly and vote for someone who is actually on the ballot.

Every time I see a thread with comments like this it encourages me once again to write in Ron Paul. If I really believed your philosophy I'd vote for Barack Obama because after all Barr is going to lose so that would be a wasted vote. No thanks I'll stick with the real thing which is Ron Paul.

jmdrake
05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Every time I see a thread with comments like this it encourages me once again to write in Ron Paul. If I really believed your philosophy I'd vote for Barack Obama because after all Barr is going to lose so that would be a wasted vote. No thanks I'll stick with the real thing which is Ron Paul.

The difference is that Bob Barr, Ron Paul and Chuck Baldwin agree on almost everything. (Off the top of my head I can't think of anything they disagree on.) Imagine if the roles were reversed and Bob Barr had lost the GOP nomination and Ron Paul was on as the LP or CP candidate. I would hope Bob Barr supporters would go ahead and vote Ron Paul instead of just "sticking to their guns". And no, I'm not posting this to tell others how to vote. If you want to write in Ron Paul even though he said he's not going to run third party then write in Ron Paul. But at some point you'll have to consider other principled candidates. (2012? 2016? ... )

Regards,

John M. Drake

amy31416
05-23-2008, 03:29 PM
It's definitely a write-in for me as well, fortunately, I think PA actually counts those (so I hear anyways--not that it matters if that's accurate.) If only all other states were like that.

Sandra
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with you dvdrink. Voting for Paul when he is not on the ballot is stupid. Its a sorry attempt at a "protest vote" because no one will ever see or hear about it, only that person will know.

Voting LP or CP is not a compromise of your principles. They essentially have the same views as Ron Paul does. By voting CP or LP, the country will be able to see the dissatisfaction of the GOP voters and changes will begin to occur. They'll have to change, or just keep losing elections.

Mods? Isn't a new anti Paul poster a violation of forum rules?

satchelmcqueen
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Right on!

satchelmcqueen
05-23-2008, 06:00 PM
It's never a wasted vote when you vote for someone who is ACTUALLY ON THE BALLOT. Voting for Ron Paul was never a wasted vote WHEN HE WAS ON THE BALLOT.

However, if you're writing in Ron Paul's name and he is NOT registered to be on the ballot, then you truly are wasting your vote because IT'S NOT EVEN COUNTED and you might as well be voting for Mickey Mouse.

Instead, why not vote for Baldwin or the LP candidate... candidates who will have similar platforms as Ron Paul.

Do something useful with your vote.

I'm just talking reality here, take it or leave it.

Ill leave it, and write in Paul.

SevenEyedJeff
05-23-2008, 11:03 PM
It would be nice if RP would endorse either the LP or CP candidate before the election, so we can all rummage our support behind one candidate, instead of being divided between several candidates and being counted as the <1% crowd.

Also, why dont the CP and LP merge as they are quite similar?

NewFederalist
05-24-2008, 07:22 AM
The CP and the LP agree on foreign policy issues and most economic issues. The area of tremendous disagreement is in the realm of personal freedoms. The CP is totally opposed to abortion whereas the majority of Libertarians are "pro-choice". The LP is also in favor of complete de-criminalization of drugs whereas the CP says it is a matter for the states. They also differ on same sex "marriage" and other issues like that. The only person who could have successfully brought the two parties together for at least one election is Dr. Paul.

soapmistress
05-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I know I'm not alone when I say this: I'M NOT READY TO GET BEHIND ANYONE ELSE YET!

Nirvikalpa
05-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I came here for Paul. Campaigned for Paul. Became a Student for Ron Paul. Became a Precinct Leader for Ron Paul. And I will vote for Ron Paul. Simple as that.

You think there's a difference between voting third party and voting through a write in? They both aren't going to matter in the end - 3rd party has never won the presidency - I'm going with my conscience and I am voting for the man that captured my heart and soul as a young American woman trying to win her country back... and that's Ron Paul.

It's not a wasted vote - I can't wait until my tell my grandchildren I was actively involved in a campaign that would have saved their country. At least my conscience is clear - too bad more than 3/4 of America can't say the same.

NewFederalist
05-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I came here for Paul. Campaigned for Paul. Became a Student for Ron Paul. Became a Precinct Leader for Ron Paul. And I will vote for Ron Paul. Simple as that.

You think there's a difference between voting third party and voting through a write in? They both aren't going to matter in the end - 3rd party has never won the presidency - I'm going with my conscience and I am voting for the man that captured my heart and soul as a young American woman trying to win her country back... and that's Ron Paul.

It's not a wasted vote - I can't wait until my tell my grandchildren I was actively involved in a campaign that would have saved their country. At least my conscience is clear - too bad more than 3/4 of America can't say the same.

I applaud your tenacity! Try to make certain that the rules for actually counting write-in votes in your state are met by checking with your local election officials as soon as possible. In most states there is paperwork which must be filed otherwise the write-in votes are not tallied. If the point is to show ongoing support for the Ron Paul Revolution let's make sure they understand how to interpret (and count!) these votes.

yaz
05-24-2008, 02:19 PM
If the candidate is not on the ballot and you write him in it's the same as not voting.

RP~Revolution~
05-24-2008, 02:37 PM

I hear you dude!! Show your man support! Even if RON PAUL loses I'm still going to spread his ideology and his name to people.

I'm even thinking about an impeach the president campaign and put in RON PAUL. This is honestly how strongly I believe in the man. I do not want to live in a corrupt world any longer. We are getting raped with so many taxes and oil prices are inflating everything. We could easily convert to hydrogen technology this year. Gasoline is an obsolete fuel, but the oil companies are monopolizing the transportation fuel technology. Look up gas powered car on youtube.

The mission in my life is to help manifest the great RON PAUL REVOLUTION. Whos with me?

RON PAUL REVOLUTION!!

~PEACE~

inibo
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I know I'm not alone when I say this: I'M NOT READY TO GET BEHIND ANYONE ELSE YET!

What soapmistress said. There is only one man who has earned my vote and he's going to get it.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm sick of low posters coming in here telling me who to vote for. Two in just this thread.

QFT

And these are the same people who only use Linux, drive bio diesel cars, and wear hemp clothing and thinking being the "weirdo" is going to change the world.

fr33domfightr
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
I too came here for Paul. Campaigned for Paul. Became a Precinct Leader for Ron Paul. And I voted for Ron Paul in the Primaries. Simple as that.

I have made protest votes in the past, and I think it's understandable for people to do this. This time, however, I want to win. If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination for the Republican party, then that party is gravely underestimating the American People.

Everyone seems to be forgetting something. This FREEDOM MOVEMENT isn't about Ron Paul, it never has been. He was the candidate running under this message, but it isn't new, and he knows that. Ron Paul would be so happy if we could just turn our country around. And think of this, if some other candidate were to win, Ron Paul could have a place in that Freedom Administration.

That's why we all need to join together. I've been voting since 1980, so I've been voting a long time. We are going to join together and vote for the best alternative to Ron Paul (should he not get the nomination) or we will lose. I'm not prepared to lose, I'm preparing to win!!

FF

ronpaulblogsdotcom
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I too came here for Paul. Campaigned for Paul. Became a Precinct Leader for Ron Paul. And I voted for Ron Paul in the Primaries. Simple as that.

I have made protest votes in the past, and I think it's understandable for people to do this. This time, however, I want to win. If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination for the Republican party, then that party is gravely underestimating the American People.

Everyone seems to be forgetting something. This FREEDOM MOVEMENT isn't about Ron Paul, it never has been. He was the candidate running under this message, but it isn't new, and he knows that. Ron Paul would be so happy if we could just turn our country around. And think of this, if some other candidate were to win, Ron Paul could have a place in that Freedom Administration.

That's why we all need to join together. I've been voting since 1980, so I've been voting a long time. We are going to join together and vote for the best alternative to Ron Paul (should he not get the nomination) or we will lose. I'm not prepared to lose, I'm preparing to win!!

FF

You say win and lose like voting for the person that wins makes you a better person or their candidacy more legitimate.

The three alternatives are lame, all liberal, big government, and I see few differences between them.

None will end the Iraq War I believe. I have been asking Democrats to ask their candidates to pledge to leave Iraq and Afghanistan. No one will do it. They dont even want to bring it up.

In WWII we defeated 3 of the biggest countries in the world who were united, organized, and motivated in less than 4 years

Now we cannot even defeat third world countries with trillions in spending in 6 years. Most people are talking about 5 more years so 11 total years of war. Umm WTF?

And you joined this month, have less than 50 posts and think we should vote for someone other than Ron Paul?

fr33domfightr
05-27-2008, 02:14 AM
RonPaulBlogs,

I've been helping the campaign for quite awhile on Meetup.com. I hadn't joined here because I have been very busy on that side.

Let me ask you this, when Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, what are you going to do? Vote for Obama? McWar? Write in Ron Paul on principle?

Yet the election will come and go. If the Freedom movement has a candidate that could possibly win, and is short just a few votes, and he loses, what will you say then? I voted on principle. Long live Obama.

The point is, we need every single vote. Voting for anything else will dilute the vote for a good candidate.

Just look at the election in 2000, isn't that enough reason right there?!

FF

ronpaulblogsdotcom
05-27-2008, 03:51 AM
This isnt the 2000 election. Then the whole country was asleep. Now we have record turnouts for both Dem and Gop.

But McLame will lose in a huge way. He is getting one third of the number of voters as Obama in big states. I dont want to just melt into the big mess of voters who are pretending there is a huge difference between these candidates.

People still talk about Perots 19%. I want people for decades to talk about what Ron Paul got. I want to vote for him. I think he is the best candidate.

But of course this is all a slightly moot question right now. You are assuming it will be a close race. I am assuming it will be a landslide. Neither of us really knows.

My planned vote (and possibly yours) might change depending on how the polling is going in November.

123tim
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
It's definitely a write-in for me as well, fortunately, I think PA actually counts those (so I hear anyways--not that it matters if that's accurate.) If only all other states were like that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you're right about this...Last winter a friend of ours (who used to work on the election board) was saying how much she hated it when people voted for "Mickey Mouse" because she had to stay late to tabulate and double check these votes.

I'm pretty distressed to hear that other States don't count write in votes. What is the purpose of a write in vote then? If the votes aren't counted then the "protest vote" will just end up as a "no vote" statistic. This won't be sending any sort of a message at all.

fr33domfightr
05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
This isnt the 2000 election. Then the whole country was asleep. Now we have record turnouts for both Dem and Gop.

But McLame will lose in a huge way. He is getting one third of the number of voters as Obama in big states. I dont want to just melt into the big mess of voters who are pretending there is a huge difference between these candidates.

People still talk about Perots 19%. I want people for decades to talk about what Ron Paul got. I want to vote for him. I think he is the best candidate.

But of course this is all a slightly moot question right now. You are assuming it will be a close race. I am assuming it will be a landslide. Neither of us really knows.

My planned vote (and possibly yours) might change depending on how the polling is going in November.

The point about 2000, was what occurred in Florida. The voting was very close, every vote counted, as will be the case this time.

McClame may not lose. I'm very worried about this. It could be close, but in his favor.

Contrary to the above, many many disenfranchised Democratic voters don't like Obama (due to race or gender) and they are prepared to vote McClame because they don't think there is anyone else to vote for. Ron Paul isn't even on their Radar.

On top of that, we have the disenfranchised conservative voters who don't like McClame. This block of voters may not vote at all, or might just vote McClame because they don't know what else to do.

I believe the Racial and gender disenfranchised along with the conservative disenfranchised, plus the Ron Paulers, plus the Libertarians could swing to a single third party candidate and take it.

I've seen the numbers on the Democratic side voting for Hillary and Obama, it's huge, no doubt about it. In the end it could be a landslide for Obama.

For sure, to win, it won't be easy, but I believe it can be done. If we all work together.

I will absolutely be watching polling as the months go by. My vote will also depend on how the Republican Convention goes. If Dr. Paul gets nominated, I would be happy to vote for him and try to get everyone else to vote for him. Realistically though, I don't expect that. I don't think he'll even be allowed to speak, just as Pat Buchanan was barred from speaking.

I'm just adamant because I want our country to win. At this point, any third party would be a win as it would shake up Washington. If that third party can get us more freedom, I'm all for that. A third party might even pull in Ron Paul into the Administration, that would be an even bigger win.

FF