PDA

View Full Version : Oh for Pete's sake, Keystone Congress strikes again

Bradley in DC
05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5795477.html

Dems can't even vote straight.

underboss
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
No such thing as "free trade" anymore - this bill cost taxpayers $300 billion.

That is $300 billion of taxpayer money to subsidize wealthy farmers in our country at a time when food prices are sky high.

I have to be violently robbed of my taxes so the money can be given to millionaire farmers. But I can't get a piece of the profits. Nope - those belong to the farmers. This bill will give handouts to millionaires. While Americans are paying higher prices in food, gas, clothing? Is this really "free trade"?

These subsidies will also enable these these high cost farmers and food companies to sell their products at below the cost of production and unfairly beat off the products of farmers in developing countries that don’t have the same kind of money to subsidize. This will cause more farmers in India to commit suicide.

Prices of food has risen to world records - such that even here in the USA there stores like Costco and Sams Club have had to ration rice. My local Costco had three ripped bags of rice left. Rice is at all time record prices.

Instead of doing away with the subsidies they are increasing them? With prices at record highs and farm revenues soaring, a cut in subsidies would have been even more justified.

Bradley in DC
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
No such thing as "free trade" anymore - this bill cost taxpayers $300 billion.

Oh, it's a terrible bill, as much as it pains me to say so, thankfully Bush vetoed it. But still, this is just embarrassing for the country.

underboss
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh, it's a terrible bill, as much as it pains me to say so, thankfully Bush vetoed it. But still, this is just embarrassing for the country.

Embarrasment not really an issue with me. The moral consequences of this bill are much greater.

Shame - at a time when food shortages are causing people to eat mud:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22902512/