PDA

View Full Version : Which foods are genetically engineered?

MalcolmGandi
05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I have decided to stop eating any genetically engineered foods, but I can't seem to find out which foods are GM. Does anyone know where to find a list?

yongrel
05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
The tasty ones.

thuja
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I have decided to stop eating any genetically engineered foods, but I can't seem to find out which foods are GM. Does anyone know where to find a list?

www.seedsofdeception.com:)

SeanEdwards
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Luddite.

Zippyjuan
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
You cannot know for certain. Even if you grow it yourself. The seeds you plant may have been GMO or cross polinated with a GMO plant. Sources for foods you buy can come from anywhere. You could just stop eating.

amy31416
05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
You cannot know for certain. Even if you grow it yourself. The seeds you plant may have been GMO or cross polinated with a GMO plant. Sources for foods you buy can come from anywhere. You could just stop eating.

How about if you only eat weeds? I don't think they're genetically engineering those yet.

asgardshill
05-21-2008, 07:30 PM
How about if you only eat weeds? I don't think they're genetically engineering those yet.

Still the problem with blowover from the next field where the farmer DID plant GMed seed. Better stick with smoking that weed instead of eating it ;)

amy31416
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Still the problem with blowover from the next field where the farmer DID plant GMed seed. Better stick with smoking that weed instead of eating it ;)

Sominabitch--ain't nuthin' safe no mo?

How about insects? Can we eat crickets without the fear of GM shit?*

*By "GM shit" I don't mean Chevy, but most Chevy's suck, especially Cavaliers--I mean, what a crappy piece of carp.

SeanEdwards
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't think humans are genetically engineered yet.

asgardshill
05-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Better stick to minerals. Bugs eat seeds ... nuff said.

*By "GM shit" I don't mean Chevy, but most Chevy's suck, especially Cavaliers--I mean, what a crappy piece of carp.

I once owned a 1971 Chevy Vega that got approximately 300 miles to the head gasket. It was one of the first US autos to have an aluminum engine block, and GM didn't do their sums right in designing it. I got so good at replacing the head gasket in that car that I could do it from scratch in 8 hours. And if you scratched the paint, you could see the Iron City Beer labels underneath.

amy31416
05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Better stick to minerals. Bugs eat seeds ... nuff said.

I once owned a 1971 Chevy Vega that got approximately 300 miles to the head gasket. It was one of the first US autos to have an aluminum engine block, and GM didn't do their sums right in designing it. I got so good at replacing the head gasket in that car that I could do it from scratch in 8 hours. And if you scratched the paint, you could see the Iron City Beer labels underneath.

Fine, nuthin' but rocks from here on out. Luscious, organic rock.*

And in regards to the Vega: Hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.

*Wait, doesn't the definition of organic require something to be carbon-based? I'm so fucking confused.

LinuxUser269
05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Plants have been engineered for thousand of years.

This is interesting:

We need a new revolution –
a Doubly Green Revolution

Significant progress is being made. Chinese scientists, with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation, have produced a new rice variety using tissue culture, called La Fen Rockefeller, that is providing farmers in the Shanghai region with 15 to 25 per cent increases in yield.

http://www.ourplanet.com/imgversn/105/conway.html

LinuxUser269
05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I Also read or saw somewhere on the net that the genetic tampering will revert after a few plant generations . Thats if the seeds germinate at all.

MalcolmGandi
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM

I agree, good thing I wrecked mine.

shida
05-22-2008, 07:41 AM
How to buy Non GM food.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/HowtoBuyNon-GMFoods/index.cfm

thuja
05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree, good thing I wrecked mine.

careful. look up cyber moth.

yongrel
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1970/borlaug2_fredscenter_photo.jpg

This man has saved the lives of an estimated 1 billion people.

shida
05-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Truefoods

http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html

ryanmkeisling
05-31-2008, 03:07 AM
Isn't selective breeding a form of genetic modification which has been used to produce various fruit and vegetable strains for a very long time? Or is this in reference to lab work?

Agent CSL
05-31-2008, 02:31 PM
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1970/borlaug2_fredscenter_photo.jpg

This man has saved the lives of an estimated 1 billion people.

I swear my soul is being sucked out.

allyinoh
05-31-2008, 02:50 PM

This made me laugh... Thanks, I needed that today! :D

SeanEdwards
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Why do people fear the application of human reasoning to the creation of life forms? Do you likewise fear human engineering when it comes to such things as, bridges, buildings, and airplanes? Perhaps all you people terrified of genetic engineering should move into caves, and wear fig leaves for your underwear.

You folks seem to have no concern with the fact that random mutation and normal biological processes have the potential to create harmful organisms. In fact, as far as I know, ALL the harmful biological entities that have affected the earth to date have all come about naturally without any human intervention needed at all. Can you provide even ONE example of some human engineered plague or supervirus, or rapacious engineered lifeform?

The potential of applying our human intellect in guiding evolution and developing organisms that benefit us and the environment is staggering. But the fearmongers want to shut it all down prematurely, apparently preferring to let random chance be in the driver's seat. Yeah, sometimes humanity builds a titanic, or other engineering disaster, but is that sufficient reason to turn the clock back and reject intellect in favor of base animal nature? You can't get back into eden folks. It's much too late to spit out the apple.

amy31416
06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
You folks seem to have no concern with the fact that random mutation and normal biological processes have the potential to create harmful organisms. In fact, as far as I know, ALL the harmful biological entities that have affected the earth to date have all come about naturally without any human intervention needed at all. Can you provide even ONE example of some human engineered plague or supervirus, or rapacious engineered lifeform?

You KNOW someone is going to say HIV, right?

SeanEdwards
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
You KNOW someone is going to say HIV, right?

We barely understand how HIV works at all. Nobody could have built such a thing from scratch.

However, there is some evidence that the crossover of a simian immunodeficiency virus to humans might have been enabled by efforts to vaccinate large numbers of Africans. Apparently the vaccine was developed using ape or monkey cell cultures at some point, and some people theorize that this allowed the virus to cross over.

A competing theory is that some bushmeat hunter people got the simian virus by hunting and eating apes.

Yeah, the human mind is a terrible thing. We make nukes, and dioxins, and whoknowswhatall. But it's still no excuse to bury our heads in the sand and hide from knowledge. Bridges fall down. Planes crash. Zeppelins burn. But our only choice is to keep trying to learn from our mistakes and progress. Going backwards and rejecting science is a dead end. Just ask a dinosaur, if you can find one.

acptulsa
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Isn't selective breeding a form of genetic modification which has been used to produce various fruit and vegetable strains for a very long time? Or is this in reference to lab work?

Selective breeding is breeders choosing what to breed based on results. These are all naturally occuring variations and someone picking the ones they prefer. Genetic engineering means resplicing the DNA into something that didn't--and maybe couldn't--occur in nature. It involves doctoring with the very essence of the plant. Theoretically, if you had enough cells to get all the building blocks you needed and were good enough, eventually you could re-engineer a future corn seed into a future rattlesnake egg.

I don't think we're that good. I don't know what they might screw up, I just know that a little knowledge (which is still all we have concerning the way DNA works) is a dangerous thing. And DNA is much, much more complicated than, say, a bridge.

SeanEdwards
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Selective breeding is breeders choosing what to breed based on results. These are all naturally occuring variations and someone picking the ones they prefer. Genetic engineering means resplicing the DNA into something that didn't--and maybe couldn't--occur in nature. It involves doctoring with the very essence of the plant. Theoretically, if you had enough cells to get all the building blocks you needed and were good enough, eventually you could re-engineer a future corn seed into a future rattlesnake egg.

I don't think we're that good. I don't know what they might screw up, I just know that a little knowledge (which is still all we have concerning the way DNA works) is a dangerous thing. And DNA is much, much more complicated than, say, a bridge.

One practice in agriculture that has been around forever is combining multiple organisms into one hybrid that could not exist or develop on it's own in nature. Grape plants that are used in wine production involve grafting the grape plant to the root system of an entirely different plant. This is a kind of macro level recombinant genetic engineering, combining aspects of different organisms to create something new. The fact that ALL life on planet earth uses the same molecular alphabet to organize biological processes means different species are not really that different at all. Corn and rattlesnakes share a common ancestor, and they both store their genetic information using the same 'language'.

People might one day build a corn plant that slithers around and has a venomous bite. Maybe. But if we don't play god, who will? :D

steve005
06-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Why do people fear the application of human reasoning to the creation of life forms? Do you likewise fear human engineering when it comes to such things as, bridges, buildings, and airplanes? Perhaps all you people terrified of genetic engineering should move into caves, and wear fig leaves for your underwear.

The potential of applying our human intellect in guiding evolution and developing organisms that benefit us and the environment is staggering. But the fearmongers want to shut it all down prematurely, apparently preferring to let random chance be in the driver's seat. Yeah, sometimes humanity builds a titanic, or other engineering disaster, but is that sufficient reason to turn the clock back and reject intellect in favor of base animal nature? You can't get back into eden folks. It's much too late to spit out the apple

you are completly wrong, like you said; all this food came with us through time without our help, why would it need our help now?

how can you compare a man made stucture to food? its like saying "yeah us bad ass humans, we planted all these trees to make oxygen so we could live"

MAGICKAL
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Why do people fear the application of human reasoning to the creation of life forms?

Because it's usually done because of money and/or power with no inherent regard for the consequences.

Google "Monsanto company history"

There is no doubt in my mind genetically modified food this is what is killing the honey bees.

There is now strong evidence which suggests HIV was the result of radiation manipulation to try and kill the viruses occupying monkey kidneys which were used as a culture medium to grow the polio vaccine. Google Ed Haslam and Dr. Mary's monkey. But not before millions of people were innoculated with polio vaccine which contained the viruses that were in the monkey kidneys, these viruses were found to cause cancer in humans. Is it any surprise the baby boomers suffer an unusually high incidence of cancer?