PDA

View Full Version : 62% of Voters Prefer Fewer Government Services with Lower Taxes

Bradley in DC
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
62% of Voters Prefer Fewer Government Services with Lower Taxes

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/benchmarks/america_s_best_days

mattc2345
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
....and on a related note 62% of voters have brains.

I wonder if you took into account all american's if the number would be higher as I think many people vote to get the government to behave in a way that gives them more.

pinkmandy
05-21-2008, 12:55 PM

I have to disagree. If they actually had brains they wouldn't vote for people who make govt bigger by promising more services. :p

mattc2345
05-21-2008, 01:13 PM
You are correct pinkmandy I will revise my statistic. I think it is closer to 6-10%. Isn't that what Ron Paul has been getting recently?

I shouldn't be rude to non-Paul followers as it probably won't help attract people but I honestly can't fathom what anyone sees in any of these other candidates.

PeterWellington
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
The strange thing about polls like this is you sometimes get very different results when you dig deeper.

I remember watching a video on YouTube where this guy walked around town (can't remember his name) and asked people if they thought we spent too much on illegal immigrants, and of course lots of people said yes. But when he asked these same people more specific questions, such as denying them health care or education, many said that they wouldn't want to do that, which seemed to contradict their initial response.

mattc2345
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Peter Wellington here is the video you are probably thinking of from Penn and Teller's show and I think you are right. Most people's political views are pretty muddy and have knee-jerk reactions to the political issue of the day. I'm sure I'm guilty of it to sometimes but I try to think of basic principals and go by those and not what I feel at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4

PeterWellington
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Peter Wellington here is the video you are probably thinking of from Penn and Teller's show and I think you are right. Most people's political views are pretty muddy and have knee-jerk reactions to the political issue of the day. I'm sure I'm guilty of it to sometimes but I try to think of basic principals and go by those and not what I feel at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4

Yeah, that's the guy, thanks (although I could have sworn I watched a longer clip, maybe my memory's just failing me)

Danke
05-21-2008, 03:50 PM

And the other 38% work in one capacity of another for the government.

DealzOnWheelz
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Wellington

Around here we call him

FUCK YOU FRANK!!!

Zippyjuan
05-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Ask someone would they like to pay fewer taxes. Most of course say yes.
Ask them would they like to get rid of wast in government. Yes again.
Then ask them if they would be willing to cut their favorite program. The "yes" will drop significantly. No matter what program you try to cut- it is somebody's favorite program. Congress does not want to turn off a single voter if the can so they do not want to make any real cuts. If they say they will increase spending on something, it often leads to more voter support so they do that instead. Buy your vote with your money. We'll worry about paying for that later.

OptionsTrader
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
People claim they want less services and lower taxes, but few can tell you where to cut. I can and you can but we are 5-20% not 62%