PDA

View Full Version : I entered my name on google and this web site came up (SHOCKING) You gave to Ron Paul

CurtisLow
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Type in your name and all your info comes up.. I was shocked to see this information such as my address, and a map with my house on it. My employer and how much I gave to Ron Paul. I entered my name into google search and this web site popped up..

http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/

Is there any law against this? :eek:

slamhead
05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes there is a law. The law is that political contributions are public information.

nate895
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Type in your name and all your info comes up.. I was shocked to see this information such as my address, and a map with my house on it. My employer and how much I gave to Ron Paul. I entered my name into google search and this web site popped up..

No, and if you gave over $250, you knew that it would show up at least at the FEC website.

crazyfingers
05-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Well it's all publicly available information. I thought the reporting limit was $200+, but I see people who gave less than that on there.

MRoCkEd
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I've been searching RP Republicans
glad to see murray, lawson, and singh have all donated to ron paul

Matt Collins
05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
www.opensecrets.org (http://www.opensecrets.org)

NCGOPer_for_Paul
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I used that website to identify Ron Paul supporters in Charlotte. I used that data and bumped it against the voter databae to find out who was Republican. I sent those people a letter informing them of the county convention and district convention.

I think it helped get RP a delegate and an alternate delegate to the national convention.

RonPaul2000Ate
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM
We need to e-mail http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/ and have them add Ron Paul to the "funds raised" list at the bottom right corner. It only lists Obama, Hillary, McCain, and Huckabee, even though Paul has raised 4x what Huckabee has raised.

devil21
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
My contributions don't show up, nor do they show up on FEC. Guess it's hit or miss for some people.

Joseph Hart
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Holy s***, I didnt write this but I found this when I searched my name...
http://www.hartnell.cc.ca.us/homestead_review/sp02/hart.htm

crazyfingers
05-20-2008, 05:49 PM
My contributions don't show up, nor do they show up on FEC. Guess it's hit or miss for some people.

The whole system is worthless. It's not like it's even checked by anyone at the FEC. Some guy in my town gave $2300 to Mitt Romney, and his wife (listed as homemaker) and 3 kids (students) each did the same. McCain's answer to all this is, of course, more regulations.

kigol
05-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Take this privacy quiz...

http://twinturbo.org/privacy/can-you-pass-this-privacy-quiz/

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
McCain's answer to all this is, of course, more regulations.

But only if they don't apply to him and his buddies.

AndyWhite
05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
If you type in Patriot for the occupation part, all but four people donated to Ron Paul.

Another fun occupation that will pull up Ron Paul supporters is Freedom Fighter.

Employer keywords for Ron Paul donations are: Founding Fathers, The Constitution, and Freedom.

Minestra di pomodoro
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Transparency is good.

newyearsrevolution08
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Well it's all publicly available information. I thought the reporting limit was $200+, but I see people who gave less than that on there.

odds are they gave multiple times that then added up to over $200+

btw this is a great list to have anyways, locate people to get the manifesto to. These are ACTIVE POLITICAL people worth getting REAL INFO to. Thank you for reminding me about this site again.

dannno
05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CurtisLow
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Funny shit...lol :D

WRellim
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM

If you don't want it to show up, then donate LESS than $200.

BTW, one VERY INTERESTING use to put websites like OPENSECRETS to... is to look up your local GOP officers (county & state people) and see if they donated to anyone AT ALL (note, this includes RNC and PAC donations). Most of them either don't donate... or donate so little (as in peanuts) that they stay below the disclosure threshold.

Most states have similar disclosure rules and websites that make the info available for state-level races.

Do some digging... you'll get some surprises on BOTH sides... you'll be amazed at who DOES donate (and how often), and who DOESN'T donate... EVER.

:cool:

amy31416
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm a big doofus too, if I was aware of these things I would have donated smaller amounts--but then again, it almost seems random which donations show up and which don't. It's not just over $200.

Kludge
05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Of course, with total deregulation on how you're allowed to spend your money, we wouldn't have these problems.... :rolleyes:

dawnbt
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
:eek::D

rancher89
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I could be a Doctor of Socialogy or an feminist author (specializing in Candadian Health Care)

Back when I was more concerned about being stealth, I looked up past posts and deleted a bunch of stuff I thought the gop would find offensive. I don't give a crap what they think anymore. The truth is the truth, and they can't handle the truth.....

V4Vendetta
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM

thats because you were not aware that the Government keeps track of that information, and publishes it.

All people that donated to Ron Paul are now known.

I made a thread on here talking about how I think the FEDS will use the F.E.C. list's to hunt down Paul supporters, but it was deleted.

And that list is also the way the Establishment GOP in all the state conventions know which delegate to protest, because all they have to do it type in their name. and.... POOF.................. Your a Paul supporter, your not going to state and/or national conventions.

I am not on that list, I didn't donate to Paul, I came close once, But I decided not to.

So now, My credentials will not be challenged, because they will not find my name anywhere.

WRellim
05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm a big doofus too, if I was aware of these things I would have donated smaller amounts--but then again, it almost seems random which donations show up and which don't. It's not just over $200.

Well, the campaigns are supposed to do their best to "match" donor names and such to determine whether the TOTAL donations from a person are more than $200.

But since they use databases, a small "typo" in the person's name or address (an city name abbreviated two slightly different ways for example) and their donations may NOT "match" previous donations (and therefore their "total" shows up only as subtotals under two apparently "distinct" entries which are then not added together.)

They DO submit "corrections" and "amended" filings, but I'm not certain that sites like Huffington and OpenSecrets are always on top of those.

So some names fall through the cracks that way.

Knightskye
05-20-2008, 10:04 PM

That's kind of creepy.

I googled my name and found an "Aerospace Science Technologist" who works at NASA. :)

haaaylee
05-20-2008, 11:04 PM
i did a search for where i work once (our name + "ron paul"), because people were taking pictures of our "ron paul combo" and i thought they might end up online, and my manager's name came up off that site - because he had listed where he worked on there. it was weird.

Joseph Hart
05-20-2008, 11:12 PM
That's kind of creepy.

I googled my name and found an "Aerospace Science Technologist" who works at NASA. :)

omg this is even creepier. I randomly receive a phone calls from NASA at 1am, it happened again tonight!

IRO-bot
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM
http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neighbors.php?type=name&lname=Paul&fname=Ron&search=Search

Hehehehe.......

spacehabitats
05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
I've been searching RP Republicans
glad to see murray, lawson, and singh have all donated to ron paul

I am on there, too. So is my wife.

But no "Steve Parent"!

Steve Parent Donations:eek: (http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neighbors.php?type=name&lname=Parent&fname=Steve&search=Search)

Shocking!

spacehabitats
05-21-2008, 07:38 AM
By the way, this is another reason the "stealth" strategy for electing delegates to the national convention was such a farce.

How many Ron Paul Republicans were so prescient to refrain from donating so that they could fly below the radar?

If they didn't donate, how many of us would trust them to be sincere?

Anybody who thinks that the opposition isn't savvy enough to have matched us with a donors list is living in a fool's paradise.

amy31416
05-21-2008, 07:45 AM

But no "Steve Parent"!

Steve Parent Donations:eek: (http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neighbors.php?type=name&lname=Parent&fname=Steve&search=Search)

Shocking!

Hahahaha...that's funny.

WRellim
05-21-2008, 08:45 AM

But no "Steve Parent"!

Shocking!

Not really (and I'm pretty sure if we knew his REAL name we would find $0 under that too).

But what IS SHOCKING are the many other names that are missing:

Sherrel Moore (aka Lew)
Kent Synder
Deborah Hopper
Jeff Frazee
Justine Lam
Jonathan Bydlak
...and MOST of the "paid" campaign staff...
(With notable exception of Mark Elam... but: a) it was $1,000 total and b) it didn't happen until 4Q of 07 -- so something tells me he just got "caught up" in the emotion of Dec 16th and all.)

Not to mention...

Lew (Llewellyn) Rockwell
Gary North
...and virtually ALL of the people at LRC that have been "pumping" Ron Paul since day one.
(With notable exception of Burt Blumert... but again: a) it was $1,000 total b) since he runs the firm that RP printed virtually everything through, this was a minor $ amount. and c) it happened in 3Q of 07 -- so he also probably just got "caught up" in the emotion of the earlier fundraising.)

All of which is VERY "edumacational" ...think about WHY these people CHOOSE not to donate.

It's like if you knew of a church where the pastoral staff did NOT donate to the church itself, to the building fund, NOR to any missions campaigns or other such charities; to ME it signifies that they either:

They feel they are "special" or "privileged" or otherwise "entitled" to not join in.
Have a low level (or funky idea) of commitment
Do not truly "Believe" in the cause they're promoting (i.e. it's a job/business, their passion lies "elsewhere")... OR...
They are con-men who know THEIR whole enterprise/operation is a scam, and they aren't "marks" or "suckers" like the rest of us.

Sad, but in many instances... true. :confused:

jake
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
By the way, this is another reason the "stealth" strategy for electing delegates to the national convention was such a farce.

How many Ron Paul Republicans were so prescient to refrain from donating so that they could fly below the radar?

If they didn't donate, how many of us would trust them to be sincere?

Anybody who thinks that the opposition isn't savvy enough to have matched us with a donors list is living in a fool's paradise.

lessons for 2012..

adam1mc
05-21-2008, 09:41 AM

This information is available and everyone should be aware that the GOP will use this data to extract the names of Ron Paul delegates.

STEALTH IS NO LONGER AN OPTION

Wear your Ron Paul with pride and show your strength at your County and State conventions.

edit -- someone posted this same statement above... I just didn't see it before I wrote my response

richardfortherepublic
05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
There is some guy that has the same name as mine, and he shows up as giving $500 to a Dem....

This shocks me in 3 ways.

1)Im not on the list.
2)You mean...theres another Dopkins???
3)WTF HE GAVE TO A DEM!!!! BASTARD!!!!:mad:

amy31416
05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Not really (and I'm pretty sure if we knew his REAL name we would find $0 under that too).

Sherrel Moore (aka Lew)
Kent Synder
Deborah Hopper
Jeff Frazee
Justine Lam
Jonathan Bydlak
(With notable exception of Mark Elam... but: a) it was $1,000 total and b) it didn't happen until 4Q of 07 -- so something tells me he just got "caught up" in the emotion of Dec 16th and all.)

Not to mention...

Lew (Llewellyn) Rockwell
Gary North
...and virtually ALL of the people at LRC that have been "pumping" Ron Paul since day one.
(With notable exception of Burt Blumert... but again: a) it was $1,000 total b) since he runs the firm that RP printed virtually everything through, this was a minor $ amount. and c) it happened in 3Q of 07 -- so he also probably just got "caught up" in the emotion of the earlier fundraising.)

All of which is VERY "edumacational" ...think about WHY these people CHOOSE not to donate.

It's like if you knew of a church where the pastoral staff did NOT donate to the church itself, to the building fund, NOR to any missions campaigns or other such charities; to ME it signifies that they either:

They feel they are "special" or "privileged" or otherwise "entitled" to not join in.
Have a low level (or funky idea) of commitment
Do not truly "Believe" in the cause they're promoting (i.e. it's a job/business, their passion lies "elsewhere")... OR...
They are con-men who know THEIR whole enterprise/operation is a scam, and they aren't "marks" or "suckers" like the rest of us.

Sad, but in many instances... true. :confused:

Kinda makes me feel like a chump.

haaaylee
05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Kinda makes me feel like a chump.

They may possibly have personally donated to Ron Paul, i.e. checks, cash, etc. That may bypass this system that gets our names? .......

Rhys
05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
that's why i didn't donate in my name

i had a client pay me in donations. that way his name is on "the list" lol

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
05-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Looks like we'll get our gated Ron Paul Communities after all...

See you at the FEMA Camps!

slacker921
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
They may possibly have personally donated to Ron Paul, i.e. checks, cash, etc. That may bypass this system that gets our names? .......

only if their donations didn't get reported to the FEC = illegal.

now.. for fairness check and see if the clinton/obama campaign leaders donated to their campaigns. Maybe it's not unusual for campaign staff to not donate to the campaign.

And yes, the GOP knows the name of every person who donated more than $200 to the Paul campaign. When I got ready to break that point I thought long and hard about it. Your local GOP leaders know you donated to the Paul campaign. But.. they also know who donated to Guiliani, Huckabee, etc.

RonPaulFever
05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
paranoia will destroy....me

MRoCkEd
05-21-2008, 11:35 AM
search soldier or military
yep, lots of ron paul

and i have to post:
the one result for stripper voted for ron paul :p

TruthAtLast
05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
type in "Fox" in the employer search and you'll see why they call it "Liberal Media" haha

Andrew-Austin
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
There were a good number of fellows who share my first and last name on that site. The other two Andrew's who donated to Ron Paul, were listed as students like me.

Kool.

spacehabitats
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
lessons for 2012..

The lesson for 2012 is, if we think we have to go "stealth" we've already lost.

Lets get our butts in gear and start working now!

JonathanBydlak
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Sherrel Moore (aka Lew)
Kent Synder
Deborah Hopper
Jeff Frazee
Justine Lam
Jonathan Bydlak

Two points here. First, remember that you're only seeing donations greater than $200 reported on the FEC website. For full disclosure, I contributed twice, on both money bomb days, $200 each.

But as to the second point, it's pretty much irrelevant whether high level staff members contribute to a campaign. Conceptually, if Kent or Lew take a lower salary than they would otherwise, that's equivalent to making a donation to the campaign. So would you rather have Kent/Lew making $200,000 a year and "giving back" $2300, or making $100,000 (or whatever it was), and donating nothing?

On that point, it's very clear, when comparing the salaries of Ron Paul staff with those of other campaigns, that salaries were significantly lower. But don't take my word for this: http://www.slate.com/id/2183938/

The exact salary for a given staffer will depend on what he does and for whose campaign—and, in some cases, whether the candidate ends up winning the nomination. According to an analysis published by Bloomberg, Barack Obama spent the most on payroll last year ($20.3 million), followed by John McCain ($15.4 million) and Clinton (just under $15 million). Among active candidates, Ron Paul devoted the smallest portion of his funds to salaries and benefits—8 percent, or $1.5 million.

Beyond that, there are many grassroots supporters who also contributed to the campaign in ways other than financially. While of course as fundraising director I'd have preferred more donations to fewer, an individual's decision to give is always a personal one. It's up to every supporter to contribute in the way that he or she sees fit, and that's true for individuals who are on staff and those who are not -- at least, that's what my libertarian mindset tells me.

IRO-bot
05-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Two points here. First, remember that you're only seeing donations greater than $200 reported on the FEC website. For full disclosure, I contributed twice, on both money bomb days, $200 each.

But as to the second point, it's pretty much irrelevant whether high level staff members contribute to a campaign. Conceptually, if Kent or Lew take a lower salary than they would otherwise, that's equivalent to making a donation to the campaign. So would you rather have Kent/Lew making $200,000 a year and "giving back" $2300, or making $100,000 (or whatever it was), and donating nothing?

On that point, it's very clear, when comparing the salaries of Ron Paul staff with those of other campaigns, that salaries were significantly lower. But don't take my word for this: http://www.slate.com/id/2183938/

The exact salary for a given staffer will depend on what he does and for whose campaign—and, in some cases, whether the candidate ends up winning the nomination. According to an analysis published by Bloomberg, Barack Obama spent the most on payroll last year ($20.3 million), followed by John McCain ($15.4 million) and Clinton (just under $15 million). Among active candidates, Ron Paul devoted the smallest portion of his funds to salaries and benefits—8 percent, or $1.5 million.

Beyond that, there are many grassroots supporters who also contributed to the campaign in ways other than financially. While of course as fundraising director I'd have preferred more donations to fewer, an individual's decision to give is always a personal one. It's up to every supporter to contribute in the way that he or she sees fit, and that's true for individuals who are on staff and those who are not -- at least, that's what my libertarian mindset tells me.

Wooh! Jonathan we love you man!

I guarantee Lew, James O., North, J.H., and many others at LRC donated to Ron.

But seriously. Where is Steve Parent? HELLO STEVE!!! Please reply. Mr. Supporter.

mtmedlin
05-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Yep, I am on there. Only thing the bothers me is the map of my house.

CurtisLow
05-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Same here.. Thats BS :mad:

Minestra di pomodoro
05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

That's not a result of bad government, that's a result of giving private citizens (Google) too much power and restricting the government's.

JonathanBydlak
05-23-2008, 09:54 AM
That's not a result of bad government, that's a result of giving private citizens (Google) too much power and restricting the government's.

No, actually, it's the result of giving the government too much power. If campaigns were not required to make their donor records public, this site would not exist. Does Ford go public with the names of everyone who's purchased one of their cars? No, becaue most companies respect the privacy of the information they gather.

Razmear
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
The map part is more useful for seeing how many Chinese food service workers in NYC within a 100 yard circle gave $2300 each to Clinton. I think thats why Huff put that on there. Either way the info is all public they just compiled it.
They have me listed for $672 but not my wife's donations. I think we gave over $800 combined.
And I'm the only donor to RP listed in zip 29626 in case you want to see where I live :D

eb