PDA

View Full Version : This forum is useless now.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
It was a good run but goodbye.

Kregener
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Dweeb alert...

ButchHowdy
08-23-2007, 06:09 PM
~Lithium~

Keith
08-23-2007, 06:09 PM
The Ghouliani forum is that way ---->

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I mean as too moving every fucking article.

hard@work
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Do tell.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree the mass moving of articles is lame. I've been to a lot of forums, and whenever they go bad it is always, literally 100% of the time, the result of over-moderation.

Just like Ron Paul says...less needless interference from authorities makes everyone happier. Attention mods: Nobody cares if a thread is on the wrong section. All it does is annoy and confuse.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, what's going on with all these moved articles? It's really screwing with keeping hot topics on the top. Just LEAVE the articles where they are. If they aren't in the right place, just don't reply and let them die.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) link, anyone? It's at the top of every page.

It's a handy tool... If you want the one page that shows you all the threads from all the forums in one place ordered by most recent posts, if that's the style you prefer, then use that.

Thank you. :)

stevedasbach
08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, what's going on with all these moved articles? It's really screwing with keeping hot topics on the top. Just LEAVE the articles where they are. If they aren't in the right place, just don't reply and let them die.

Agree.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Second that. This seriously will ruin this forum.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Listen, it's no special achievement to be the moderator of a forum and attempt to enlighten everyone with it's features and methods of organization. People want to be left alone to use this forum to achieve certain goals and you're only hindering the process.

Shink
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was disturbed by the moving of 90% of everything from News & Discussion (which everyone knows is where the majority of important discussion happens...er...maybe I mean productive). I would hope you don't see it as a reason to leave the forum, as we need everyone, but I hope it stops. No matter how much a topic branches, if it starts with an article or personal news or whatever, it should be okay, in my opinion.

mdh
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Well, some articles are genuinely out of place and need to be moved, but this is kind of whacky...

Bryan
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree there needs to be a solution to not have to have a bunch of moved threads. See this thread to suggest ideas:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=13862

New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) link, anyone? It's at the top of every page.
This is for sure the way to go, you can also exclude sub-forums in your "New Post" search, such as Hot Topics by bookmarking the following like:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=54

You can change this to exclude whatever you want, just change the 54 to something else or add by using A,B,C,D etc.

Or you can just do an include only search:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew&include=2,3

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Listen, it's no special achievement to be the moderator of a forum and attempt to enlighten everyone with it's features and methods of organization. People want to be left alone to use this forum to achieve certain goals and you're only hindering the process.

Again, New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

Is it really that difficult to click a link?

Or, are you just griping because you don't like change? :p ;)

McDermit
08-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Telling 2000 members they need to find a new way to browse a forum is ridiculous.

Like it's not enough of an annoyance that this place has been down 3 times in the past week, now the mods are moving everything around and rendering forums useless. Great way to kill a great forum.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Foo, I actually find you quite funny...and it doesn't bother me ...but you might want to work on your bedside manner a bit....:D

angelatc
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM

It's a handy tool... If you want the one page that shows you all the threads from all the forums in one place ordered by most recent posts, if that's the style you prefer, then use that.

So if we don't browse the way you want us to, it's our own fault if we lose threads.

Got it.

jpa
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I like it.. way too much sorting thru gargage posts to see actual Ron Paul news.

I really think we need to separate news & announcements from discussion.

0zzy
08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

I use that every time. In fact, that's ALL I use! :)

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
So if we don't browse the way you want us to, it's our own fault if we lose threads.

Got it.

No, if you don't post threads where they should properly go, then don't complain if it gets moved.

If you want a one-stop shop, then use new posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Hopefully the forums on ronpaulradio.com will soon replace this bullshit. And to think i posted there today about not taking over topics that can be handled here. Well fuck that. Free Market rules and this forum just shot themselves in the foot.

mdh
08-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I kind of liked it better the way it was before, personally. It's not a dislike for change in general, just for this particular one. Also, fixing something that I didn't see anyone claiming was broken until the "fixing" started. :p

The 'New Posts' way of doing things consolidates everything into one page which moves that much faster - I like being able to refresh seperate forums seperate, at different intervals (more often for ones that move faster or which contain a topic or topics I am paying specific attention to). I don't have time to contribute to the vast majority of threads, so I tend to pick the few which I feel I can contribute the most value to. The 'New posts' way of doing things makes that more difficult by lumping every section of the forum together into one page instead of allowing me to follow each board seperately.

Just my personal take on it.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Hopefully the forums on ronpaulradio.com will soon replace this bullshit. And to think i posted there today about not taking over topics that can be handled here. Well fuck that. Free Market rules and this forum just shot themselves in the foot.

Yeah Foo you should get down off your ego thing man....they obvisly ain't paying you enough...:D

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Josh's site, Josh's rules, and I'm just making sure they are followed.

Really, is it that hard to click one simple link? :confused:

Shink
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That should be obvious...this forum is great...but now it's impossible to use news&discussion the way it was. I don't even understand what the point of news&discussion is if everything posted there isn't allowed.

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
poopacker... i mean... foofighter...

seeing bryan's link to the other thread really puts a spotlight on your snide behavior as of late. sooo... you ready to apologize to me in the other thread for your little quip?

i'll apologize for mine... i really don't think you're a bad guy.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
DOWN with FOO!!!

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
DOWN with FOO!!!!

Spirit of '76
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Uh... Don't you think you're overreacting just a little? I'm sure some agreement will be reached. This isn't a ForumApocalypse. :)

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Raaaaable! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble DOWN WITH FOO!!! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

american.swan
08-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Absolutely. Josh's site. Josh's free speech.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Uh... Don't you think you're overreacting just a little? I'm sure some agreement will be reached. This isn't a ForumApocalypse. :)

Wow...that comment makes no sense at all!!!! Have you ever plaed the Fife or beet the drum in war man.....WELL I HAVE...and I know pain and misery!!!!

mdh
Raaaaable! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble DOWN WITH FOO!!! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

lol.

foofighter20x
Actually, it's created the discussion I had hoped for. What do you guys want? We can't have everything on one page. It'll be a mess. What then would you like to see instead?

We need input or else you won't get the best product.

No political campaign will ever work if it's entirely spontaneous. Efforts will be duplicated if everyone does what they want. They will all always pick the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Because of that, other necessary things won't get done.

And because of that we will fail.

Duplication of effort will be our biggest handicap unless we organize ourselves. We don't need the campaign to do it. We can't have the campaign do it. We must do it ourselves. If we don't, nothing will get done.

Bryan and Josh have been talking about this and reorganizing the forums further, but nothings been done yet. Hopefully this will kick them in their pants seat.

(Also, for those that like everything on one page, you can still have it! (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew))

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:56 PM

That would be nice, but as to now its way out of hand. Things should be left how they were until a discussion and decision is made by ALL the member Mods, and Admin. Things were just fine 4 hours ago and now this?

As to the link that keeps getting posted, that does not help at all. It groups EVERY board together. When you moved the threads from the discussion forum now you can't just look and see when new posts were added or anything. I sure the hell am not sorting through every thread or forum seeing what's new or had a additional post.

This forum was/is probably the #1 grassroots board I have seen. So many projects have succeeded from the system as it was. Imagine is all the contributors for the Ames AD had not looked in EVERY forum and saw the plan, and then donated time, money, and ideas to make it happen?? Well that's what this new system will do. Hope you enjoy destroying the best resource this grassroots forum has had.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Yawn. The irony that this is happening on a Ron Paul forum is overwhelming.

Sematary
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Actually, it's created the discussion I had hoped for. What do you guys want? We can't have everything on one page. It'll be a mess. What then would you like to see instead?

No political campaign will ever work if it's entirely spontaneous. Efforts will be duplicated if everyone does what they want. They will all always pick the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Because of that, other necessary things won't get done.

And because of that we will fail.

Duplication of effort will be our biggest handicap unless we organize ourselves. We don't need the campaign to do it. We can't have the campaign do it. We must do it ourselves. If we don't, nothing will get done.

Bryan and Josh have been talking about this and reorganizing the forums further, but nothings been done yet. Hopefully this will kick them in their pants seat.

(Also, for those that like everything on one page, you can still have it! (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew))

I think the MOST ACTIVE;/IMPORTANT topics should remain on Ron Paul News and Discussion - yes, I'm talking about the Liberty Rally thread. That move KILLED donations that we DESPERATELY need to get this rally done.

Sematary
08-23-2007, 06:59 PM
That would be nice, but as to now its way out of hand. Things should be left how they were until a discussion and decision is made by ALL the member Mods, and Admin. Things were just fine 4 hours ago and now this?

As to the link that keeps getting posted, that does not help at all. It groups EVERY board together. When you moved the threads from the discussion forum now you can't just look and see when new posts were added or anything. I sure the hell am not sorting through every thread or forum seeing what's new or had a additional post.

This forum was/is probably the #1 grassroots board I have seen. So many projects have succeeded from the system as it was. Imagine is all the contributors for the Ames AD had not looked in EVERY forum and saw the plan, and then donated time, money, and ideas to make it happen?? Well that's what this new system will do. Hope you enjoy destroying the best resource this grassroots forum has had.

That is why we need to get the Philly Rally BACK on the main page! This could be the biggest event of the year and it was relegated to a sub forum that no one visits.

angelatc
08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
No, if you don't post threads where they should properly go, then don't complain if it gets moved.

If you want a one-stop shop, then use new posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

You're making my point.

angelatc
08-23-2007, 07:05 PM

What's this "we" stuff? Seems like you've aleady decided. "New Posts! New Posts!"

ChooseLiberty
08-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Just demonstrates there is only freedom of the presses if you own the press. :D

But definitely bizarre for a Ron Paul forum.

Yawn. The irony that this is happening on a Ron Paul forum is overwhelming.

ChooseLiberty
08-23-2007, 07:07 PM
The "new posts" thing works pretty well tho.

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM

I don't want that. It is extraneous to what i need to know. Stop making lame excuses and pointing out features few could care less about. it bwas functional. You work for the gvernment because tyour motto is fix it till its broke. Well pal..we are sick of government that works that way.

The forum currrently sux.

Randy

Shink
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Of course, so does leaving things the way they were!

Bryan
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

The 'New Posts' way of doing things consolidates everything into one page which moves that much faster - I like being able to refresh seperate forums seperate, at different intervals (more often for ones that move faster or which contain a topic or topics I am paying specific attention to). I don't have time to contribute to the vast majority of threads, so I tend to pick the few which I feel I can contribute the most value to. The 'New posts' way of doing things makes that more difficult by lumping every section of the forum together into one page instead of allowing me to follow each board seperately.
You can also exclude sub-forums in your "New Post" search, such as Hot Topics by bookmarking the following like:

You can change this to exclude whatever you want, just change the 54 to something else or add by using A,B,C,D etc.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 07:14 PM
You can also exclude sub-forums in your "New Post" search, such as Hot Topics by bookmarking the following like:

Or, It worked how it was and im not going to participate in any important threads while this is fucked up.

Marceline88
08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I really haven't noticed any of the article movements that are "ruining" the forum.
I have always used the New Posts button. It's always just one big list to me.

Silly woman.

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:19 PM

But if things are being moved about into places that may or may not suit them, how am I to guess which forums to look in? Also, if things are constantly being moved, do I not then risk losing threads I was tracking in board 7 if it's moved to board 9 and I'm not following board 9 because most of board 9 is stuff related to things I am not familiar with or interested in?

Furthermore, it doesn't address the "everything on one page" issue, as versus the fact that I really quite like reloading the different boards, with their varying levels of traffic, at different paces as necessary to keep up with what I'm caring about at the moment.

What it comes down to is I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to fix something that I thought, personally, was working out just fine the way it was yesterday and the day before and the day before and...............

Bryan
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Or, It worked how it was and im not going to participate in any important threads while this is fucked up.
It's just an option. :)

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I really haven't noticed any of the article movements that are "ruining" the forum.
I have always used the New Posts button. It's always just one big list to me.

That's cool. For those who prefer to view things via the 'new posts' button, nothing has really changed. For those of us, however, who do not prefer that method, things have changed quite drastically. Not everyone shares your personal preferences. :)

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
It's just an option. :)

More like it's trying to be shoved down our throats. If people aren't using certain subforums it is because they choose not to...the minority that are displeased by it shouldn't be catered to at the expense of the overall popularity of the forum and cause of this campaign.

Some of us are here discussing it, but the majority will come to this forum, see all the moved threads, briefly say "WTF" to themselves, and go to a new forum; and you will never know about them until it becomes apparent less people are coming to use the forum.

Those are the people that need to be considered most.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
But if things are being moved about into places that may or may not suit them, how am I to guess which forums to look in? Also, if things are constantly being moved, do I not then risk losing threads I was tracking in board 7 if it's moved to board 9 and I'm not following board 9 because most of board 9 is stuff related to things I am not familiar with or interested in?

Furthermore, it doesn't address the "everything on one page" issue, as versus the fact that I really quite like reloading the different boards, with their varying levels of traffic, at different paces as necessary to keep up with what I'm caring about at the moment.

What it comes down to is I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to fix something that I thought, personally, was working out just fine the way it was yesterday and the day before and the day before and...............
I am opposed to the moving- the subforums need to get better defined to match what people want.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
More like it's trying to be shoved down our throats.
No one is shoving- just pointing out the undocumented technology. :)

Again, I am opposed to the moving- the subforums need to get better defined to match what people want.

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Wow..let me put thse with my 200 video lnks and 400 policy text lnks and 700 news links and 44 grfx arts links. Once I take time out of my schedule to fix my bookmarks i can easily navigate my way around and sift through a bunch of stuff i have no interest in.

This is silly, accomplishes nothing and is a perfect example of federalising something and ruining that was working fabulously at the local organic level just as it was. We need less admnistration in the creative flow of ideas. To nail this organic spreading entity into trite and hardened categories will kill the plant.

I liked coming in to a full page of links on the RP News and Discussion forum and rarely went elsewhere. If it was half empty I often skimmed headers only and went on about other business. I did not visit the other forums as that is not where i get my news from. I come here for any and all RP related news so the other forums are useless to myself for the most part. When the RP News and Discussion forum was full it got me involved because I would reply to something and get totally involved then. I see the same dynac as being integral to other complainnts around here as well. And of course you have the go along to get along crowd as with anywhere..but do you not think the amount of backlash against this not too well though out policy is indicative of a broken process and faulty diagnosis?

Best Regards
Randy

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
That's cool. For those who prefer to view things via the 'new posts' button, nothing has really changed. For those of us, however, who do not prefer that method, things have changed quite drastically. Not everyone shares your personal preferences. :)

"I will not try Green Eggs and Ham. I will not try them Sam I Am." :(

Try it. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew)

You'll love'em.

G-khan
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Yes and I also grip when they change the Constitution... Some things don't need to be changed... It works don't fix it!

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
"I will not try Green Eggs and Ham. I will not try them Sam I Am." :(

Try it. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew)

You'll love'em

I tried new posts a long time ago when I was *first* figuring out how I wanted to manage my forum browsing experience. I found it less efficient then than the way I've been doing things, and it's still less efficient.

Maybe I'm in a minority on feeling that way, but from reading a lot of the other responses to this move, it seems I may not be. Again, the way things were earlier today, yesterday, and so on - the forum looked the same as it does now for people who use 'new posts'. The change only affects those of us who don't. Since you seem to really like using 'new posts', why change the way the forums work for the rest of us who don't? :confused:

Shink
08-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Please just return it to the way it was. If something is RETARDEDLY off-topic, then moving it seems fine, but News&Discussion, like it or not, was where the main discussion was, and where most things got done. If you guys don't like it, perhaps add a different section called "Popular" or whatever and we'll do most of the discussion there.

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Please just return it to the way it was. If something is RETARDEDLY off-topic, then moving it seems fine, but News&Discussion, like it or not, was where the main discussion was, and where most things got done. If you guys don't like it, perhaps add a different section called "Popular" or whatever and we'll do most of the discussion there.

Yeah, many threads were moved before tonight, and no one ever complained about it that I saw - at least not a general complaint. This is a big sudden change and caught a lot of us off-guard. Now it's wasting a lot of our time trying to adapt and deal with it, which is unfortunate. :(

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Another problem... some things cover many topics; the Ames Ad as Example: You had Graphics, Donations, News, Events.... Where the fuck do you place that?? You cant micromanage shit or it will fail. And if we fail the campaign fails. If it fails America fails.

dsentell
08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
This forum was everyone's favorite. There were no complaints, everyone was happy.

There were substantive discussions, many plans made, many victories and celebrations!

This change has disrupted the campaign! Put it back the way it was and let us get back to work!

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes and I also grip when they change the Constitution... Some things don't need to be changed... It works don't fix it!

You analogy isn't apt.

In fact, it's precisely the opposite.

You guys are like Congress, doing what you aren't supposed to be doing out of perceived convenience instead of following the Forum Rules (i.e. the Constitution, respectfully).

When someone comes along and says you've got to follow the Rules (me, like Dr Paul) and that there are tools for you to do something similar to what you are doing, if only you'd use them (mark and reprisal, anyone??), you guys get angry and attack the messenger.

Life imitates life. Interesting.

ShaneC
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Concur on the "Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabblerabble rabble"

I've rarely (close to never) used the "new posts" option on any forum I've ever visited.

The problem isn't so much that "threads are being moved" because threads do need to be in the appropriate forum.

I think the criteria is a bit too vague in some cases. Discussions of Ron Paul's views that are often found in "Issues for America" could very well belong in "News & Discussion"; whilst "Issues for America" and "General Politics and Other" could lump together on occasion.

IMHO, the threads aren't so much in the wrong place, but the defining criteria for each sub-forum aren't wholly accurate.

Perhaps breaking out the forum topics to a larger (or at least different) degree would be a better way to go?

example:

"Grass Roots Campaigning" (for the various fundraisers, etc).
"Ron Paul General Discussion" (covering "What's Ron Paul's take on xxxxxx?")
"Politics and Issues for America"
...etc....

Just a suggestion.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Another problem... some things cover many topics; the Ames Ad as Example: You had Graphics, Donations, News, Events.... Where the fuck do you place that?? You cant micromanage shit or it will fail. And if we fail the campaign fails. If it fails America fails.

if you made a new graphic for an event, I'd post an original graphic thread in the campaign materials and then point it out to other in the event's thread elsewhere.

indexing works. you just have to not be too lazy to use it.

Nefertiti
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I never noticed the new posts link before but I am glad someone pointed it out. It's exactly how I like to access forums. I'm going to use it from now on-will save me time!

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
if you made a new graphic for an event, I'd post an original graphic thread in the campaign materials and then point it out to other in the event's thread elsewhere.

So now we have to track multiple threads for one project???

LMAO yeah fuck that big time. No one will no what the hell is going on or be able to work things. The Ames AD would NEVER have happened with this new crap.

Spirit of '76
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM

It's really the best way to go. You never miss a new thread or a single thread that has new replies.

But that's just my opinion. Don't let me get in the way of the screaming mob. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of all these torches and pitchforks.

foofighter20x
So now we have to track multiple threads for one project???

LMAO yeah fuck that big time. No one will no what the hell is going on or be able to work things. The Ames AD would NEVER have happened with this new crap.

Says you.

The discussion in the graphics thread could be about the graphic and how to improve it. In the event thread, you could discuss where it would be best used.

You are just being contrarian. It's in every individualist's nature. ;)

Original_Intent
Well, I will say I had not used the "New Posts" feature and I prefer it to how I was using the forum before. And it seems to be a pretty minor thing and people saying they are leaving the forum over the change I think is akin to a revolutionary soldier telling George Washington that he wasn't going to fight any more because they didn't agree with the brand of gunpowder being used. The freezing, the danger of being killed, the lack of food, all that is OK, but I am NOT going to fight if you use THAT gunpowder.

Seriously, it seems this is a tempest in a teapot compared to some of the stuff we have overcome from the REAL ENEMY. Are things going so well for the capaign that we now have energy to tear into each other?

Now in deference to the "Down with Foo" movement - if a change is made and "the market" hates the change - doesn't it make sense for adjustments to be made to "the rules" to accomodate the market than to take an authoritarian position and basically say "that's the way it is, if you don't like it, tough?"

My two cents.

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM

I agree that that would be the most organized way to do such a thing. However, when people are trying to collaborate in real-time, a stream of conciousness in a single place may be more pragmatic. The "better way" also uses more time that could be used doing things that are quite likely more productive for the campaign than adhering to a forum organizational structure...

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:57 PM
It's really the best way to go. You never miss a new thread or a single thread that has new replies.

But that's just my opinion. Don't let me get in the way of the screaming mob. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of all these torches and pitchforks.

Their torches and pitchforks are no match for my slickshoes and pinchers-of-power. ;)

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
The moving is happening again. i hoped that a true discussion was opened, I guess not. FUCK THIS BOARD IM OUT!!

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I do not wish to be part of your new socialist concepts please delete my membership immediately.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Bye bye forums.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah This Forum Is A Shithole Now.

Jon S
08-23-2007, 09:21 PM
isn't this your second one of these posts in one day? why haven't you left yet?

Jon S
08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
and third. why don't u just stfu and leave then?

nullvalu
08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Come on people.. This is a public forum.. All we need is curious visitors to come here and see this.. Real nice.

mdh
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm glad we have decorum rules on the IRC channel.

michaelwise
A classic example of taking candy away from a baby. GIVE ME MY CANDY BACK.

Roxi
to be honest i hadn't tried the new posts button before.... it gives you all new posts in all sections and instead of clicking on several things when your done reading the thread u just click it again and it goes back to a lits of ALL the new posts

so it should really be tried before leaving

SWATH
There are easier ways to get attention, let it go

nullvalu
08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
There are easier ways to get attention, let it go

I can't think of many others than starting a thread like this.. Ridiculous.. is Mr. Apocolypse even of voting age?

MicroBalrog
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Can a moderator lock this?

wbbgjr
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Why can't we just have a "Ron Paul" section and then a "Off topic" section? Would that really make the forum not readable?

jpa
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
DRAMA QUEEN ALERT
DRAMA QUEEN ALERT
DRAMA QUEEN ALERT

instead of PMing josh with your opinion, or simply stop visiting rpf.com our heroic drama queen posts a crying attempt at attention. Oh I feel so sorry for you now. You are being so oppressed!

SeanEdwards
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM

You're still here? I thought you said you were leaving?

JosephTheLibertarian
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Really, is it that hard to click one simple link? :confused:

The only time you should move a thread is when members are complaining. Otherwise, why bother? What's more productive? To stop annoying dedicated members, or to keep doing what you're doing? hmm

mdh
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/0/0f/Dramallama03.jpg

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
The moving is happening again. i hoped that a true discussion was opened, I guess not. FUCK THIS BOARD IM OUT!!

Wasn't me. I swear on the Bible and the Constitution.

Bradley in DC
08-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Got it.

It's not what Foo wants but what the forum discriptions say. There are many people who PM us complaining about the number of posts in the wrong sections, we oblige. We don't make the rules, we are trying to help people. If you have ideas on changing the rules, go over our heads to Josh.

Bradley in DC
08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Of course, so does leaving things the way they were!

Not for the many people complaining to the mods, no.

Jennifer Reynolds
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-23-2007, 10:04 PM
////

kylejack
08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I support the Great Foofighter Thread Exodus of 2007. Well done, good sir! I find you to be both a gentleman and a scholar.

Razmear
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
So, do you have more people complaining here or complaining to mods about posts being in the wrong room? You can't count mine because I complained about being moved.

Consider yourself lucky, I got moved to:
Tech, Web & Programmers Projects
which is a freaking ghost town.

I think that if things continue, General will become the new 'default forum' and things will be much like they were, only no one will go to News and Discussion anymore and anything worth posting or bumping will end up here. So in the end they'll PO a lot of members and have no net change.

eb

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes I really dis like having to hit the new post as well. I really like the old system of one room. Please revert back. It was working so well. Look at all the problems that this "so called enforcement" is causing. It is literally making me sick to my stomach to have to go through this.

And I'm not trying to be a cry baby, but I will seriously consider finding a new forum if all the moving continues.

--Dustan

Jennifer Reynolds
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
///

JoshLowry
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Yes I really dis like having to hit the new post as well. I really like the old system of one room. Please revert back. It was working so well. Look at all the problems that this "so called enforcement" is causing. It is literally making me sick to my stomach to have to go through this.

And I'm not trying to be a cry baby, but I will seriously consider finding a new forum if all the moving continues.

--Dustan

I'll post it here as well:

No one was told to moderate differently. Nothing has changed. There is no "new system" in place.

Please keep your head on your shoulders and read what has been posted.

We are asking for input but will most likely be leaving things the way they were.

FooFighter moved a large number of threads today to make a point and it really stirred the pot. This isn't a new "norm".

Sal Collaziano
08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Keeping a forum organized is important. If you find an important discussion, SUBSCRIBE to it. It's easy. Also, as mentioned before, use the NEW POSTS link. Learn to use the forum and stop getting your panties in an uproar over something so ridiculous as moved topics. Bunch of whiny babies...

Oddball
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1338/lifeizhardpz2.jpg

Razmear
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Here you have three of the best, me, Dustan, and Raz who are thinking of leaving. Are you people out of your mind?

Dustan - I think you have my email, yes? Raz, why don't you IM me yours before they kick us off the board totally so that we can make sure to find a new place if this place goes up in flames. Seriously.

This is crap. and it hurts the effort and that really pisses me off. Meanwhile people like the new constituent get to say awful things to people and no one says a word. If this board needs moderating, it needs it from ugly people who are attacking others, not from tidying up.

I'm not planning on going anywhere yet. I'm just using my years of expeirence to predict that regardless of the number of changes mods make to the board, folks will all still gather in one room, and that new room will most likely be this General one instead of the News one where folks were before.

I'm still hoping that the Take Action forums will be merged into a single board so that my reclassified post and project will have some input again, if not then I'll just repost it here in the morning in the General forum.

eb

btw, my email is eb (at) razmear (dot) us . or pretty much * @ any of my domains

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 10:46 PM
i HAVE HIRED An attorney and we will be filing a formal injunction and law suit agaist all mods here.. Furthermore we will be gathering signed avidavits from indivduals wishing to pursue this further

kylejack
08-23-2007, 10:46 PM
i HAVE HIRED An attorney and we will be filing a formal injunction and law suit agaist all mods here.. Furthermore we will be gathering signed avidavits from indivduals wishing to pursue this further

This post should be bannable. This forum is private property. No lawsuit will have any success.

mdh
08-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Worst troll ever. Seriously. Threatening bogus lawsuits is the very last page of the troll handbook, only for use when all else fails, and is only successful with a bunch of wannabe-lawyers running around (which means it's successful a lot, but still very weaksauce).
I can troll more skillfully with my eyes closed, my hands tied behind my back, submerged in a crate underwater.

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 10:51 PM

LoL :D First time I laughed at this board since 6 pm. Thanks Ghemminger.

Oddball
08-23-2007, 10:55 PM
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8664/grumpoldmanep7.jpg
MEHHHH!...AND WE LIKED IT!!...MEHHHH!!

Jennifer Reynolds
08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
///

kylejack
08-23-2007, 11:00 PM
That person should be bannable.
Yes, he should.

Jennifer Reynolds

///

ghemminger
This post should be bannable. This forum is private property. No lawsuit will have any success.

Kyle I have contacted local authorities and they will be pursuing your ass shortly...until then you are herby under citizens house arrest. Please assume the position....do you understand your rights?

kylejack
Kyle I have contacted local authorities and they will be pursuing your ass shortly...until then you are herby under citizens house arrest. Please assume the position....do you understand your rights?

You're drunk again, aren't you?

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
phlegm,
you are not helping here. That is absurd. The only person who would take your money to take your case is a rip off artist because there is no such cause of action. But have fun with it. You do know a lot of us are attorneys and can see right through your nonsense, don't you?

I was hoping you might look at my case?:(

kylejack
08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
phlegm,
you are not helping here. That is absurd. The only person who would take your money to take your case is a rip off artist because there is no such cause of action. But have fun with it. You do know a lot of us are attorneys and can see right through your nonsense, don't you?
Hey, you didn't go to Harvard, did you? I knew a Jennifer there in 98-99 or so.

mdh
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I hear tell some folks here are involved in federal law enforcement, as well. No telling who, though.

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 11:13 PM
phlegm,

Hey Jen,

I think he was making fun of the vote in sunshine people. ;)

Dustan

Sal Collaziano
08-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Somebody should change the name of this topic. It's ridiculous.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM

I think he was being sarcastic. ;)

kylejack
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I think he was being sarcastic. ;)

But just barely. :)

robatsu
08-23-2007, 11:18 PM

Foofighter, I'm sure you are a very well intentioned person. Here is a big rule of software - a lot of times what you put out, people will use it in a manner that was that wasn't really the original intent, and it will become popular like that. A side effect. What you gotta do is go with the flow with the wisdom of the masses when something you've designed is being used overwhelmingly in a manner orthogonal to how it was designed or how one or two opinions think it should be used.

Sal Collaziano
08-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Foofighter, I'm sure you are a very well intentioned person. Here is a big rule of software - a lot of times what you put out, people will use it in a manner that was that wasn't really the original intent, and it will become popular like that. A side effect. What you gotta do is go with the flow with the wisdom of the masses when something you've designed is being used overwhelmingly in a manner orthogonal to how it was designed or how one or two opinions think it should be used.
In this case, this is very, very popular forum software - and the masses use it every day with separate categories and forums. Just because it's been used here, by those already registered, incorrectly - doesn't mean it needs to go on forever that way. Anyone signing up from this point on will have Absolutely no issue with the separated topics. Why? Because this is how ALL other forums do it...

This is such a non-issue I cannot believe people are actually still wasting time on it.

mdh
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM
In this case, this is very, very popular forum software - and the masses use it every day with separate categories and forums. Just because it's been used here, by those already registered, incorrectly - doesn't mean it needs to go on forever that way. Anyone signing up from this point on will have Absolutely no issue with the separated topics. Why? Because this is how ALL other forums do it...

This is such a non-issue I cannot believe people are actually still wasting time on it.

Um... it's your opinion that one way is more or less right or wrong. You state it as if it is some holy fact set upon stone by the vbulletin god who then passed it unto moses who brought it down from mount sinai. Or something.

pazzo83
08-23-2007, 11:56 PM

Why should you or any other single person have the sole power of deciding where they should properly go?

Sal Collaziano
08-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Um... it's your opinion that one way is more or less right or wrong. You state it as if it is some holy fact set upon stone by the vbulletin god who then passed it unto moses who brought it down from mount sinai. Or something.
It's not my opinion. This is the way it's done 99.9% of the time. Go look around the internet.

Sal Collaziano
08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
The person who owns this forum has the sole power of making all decisions here. He wants things organized, and if the members cannot post messages accordingly, he will moved them as needed. Essentially, it's the owner's forum and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Why should you or any other single person have the sole power of deciding where they should properly go?

mdh
08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
It's not my opinion. This is the way it's done 99.9% of the time. Go look around the internet.

No, *I'm* right 99.99% of the time. *You* go look around the internet!

Seriously, if you want to make arguments that consist of this kind of "I'm right and you're wrong!" mentality, go argue about 9/11 crap in Hot Topics.

Kregener
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I have been using "new Posts" since the day I got here.

Lets everybody go out and start our won Ron Paul Forums!

Then we can have just the "browsing experience" we so long for...

pazzo83
08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
The person who owns this forum has the sole power of making all decisions here. He wants things organized, and if the members cannot post messages accordingly, he will moved them as needed. Essentially, it's the owner's forum and he can do whatever he wants with it.

That's fine, and we have an equal right not to participate, thus working AGAINST the entire goal of this forum. Now that sounds wise, doesn't it?

Sal Collaziano
08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Facts are facts. They cannot be denied. If you'd like, you can remain in denial. Whatever floats your boat.

No, *I'm* right 99.99% of the time. *You* go look around the internet!

Seriously, if you want to make arguments that consist of this kind of "I'm right and you're wrong!" mentality, go argue about 9/11 crap in Hot Topics.

Sal Collaziano
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Great idea! :p

I have been using "new Posts" since the day I got here.

Lets everybody go out and start our own Ron Paul Forums!

Then we can have just the "browsing experience" we so long for...

pazzo83
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Facts are facts. They cannot be denied. If you'd like, you can remain in denial. Whatever floats your boat.

Do you have a shred of evidence to support your assertion?

Sal Collaziano
08-24-2007, 12:11 AM
My assertion is that most, if not practically all message boards have topics separated out by categories/subjects. And that topics get moved on these boards if they're not posted in the appropriate forum. I don't need to prove that, just go look around. This is a common occurance and everybody is getting worked up over it.

pazzo83
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
My assertion is that most, if not practically all message boards have topics separated out by categories/subjects. And that topics get moved on these boards if they're not posted in the appropriate forum. I don't need to prove that, just go look around. This is a common occurance and everybody is getting worked up over it.

There is having categories/subjects on a message board, and then there is doing it to an absurd degree. I believe we are venturing towards the latter. I've seen boards fail miserably when they try to OVER-organize.

Plus look at what all this has caused today, what have we gotten done? Nothing, just arguing about the damn forums. Seems like a lot more was getting done prior to this upheaval. It's reasonable to break the discussion into broad categories, but this type of micro-managing detracts from the overall goal of these forums.

mdh
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM

Wholly retarded statement - about on par with what you get out of most modern politicians when questioned. Rash claims about facts, but no actual facts. Grandiose statements of self-righteous indignation when called out on them. Facts are facts, but simply claiming something is a fact does not make it so. You could just as easily be making the argument that the US constitution guarantees a woman's right to a partial-birth abortion right now. Have you considered a seat on the supreme court? :)

These sorts of arguments are wholly devoid of substance, and to be perfectly honest, your statements with regard to this subject have been rather pathetic, which in unfortunate because you've been seemingly honest in some of these other threads tonight. I would, in general, warn you against such bold claims without backing them up.

Sal Collaziano
08-24-2007, 12:16 AM
When I don't reply to your nonsense anymore, it's not because I have nothing to say, it's because after this post, I'm placing you on my ignore list. There's no reason for me to waste my time reading your nonsense.

Sal Collaziano
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
You could be right. The 'team' could have over-moderated. But obviously there are rules, some things may have changed - so everyone needs to do their best to roll with the punches and move on. If there are issues in the future, speak with the administrator and express your concerns.

There is having categories/subjects on a message board, and then there is doing it to an absurd degree. I believe we are venturing towards the latter. I've seen boards fail miserably when they try to OVER-organize.

Plus look at what all this has caused today, what have we gotten done? Nothing, just arguing about the damn forums. Seems like a lot more was getting done prior to this upheaval. It's reasonable to break the discussion into broad categories, but this type of micro-managing detracts from the overall goal of these forums.

mdh
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
When I don't reply to your nonsense anymore, it's not because I have nothing to say, it's because after this post, I'm placing you on my ignore list. There's no reason for me to waste my time reading your nonsense.

87 posts and most of them tonight, in this drama. Wowee.

And darnit, I'll sure miss your always-intellectual responses! Your facts are simply superb - dare I say, untouchable by mortals such as myself and our silly desires for things like actual proof and the backing up of claims - and I shall indeed mourn the great loss of you seeing my loving praise.

Let me end on a good note, though... 99.9% of penguins prefer mountain dew over seven up. IT'S A FACT YOU CANNOT DENY A FACT LOL!

SeanEdwards
08-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Let me end on a good note, though... 99.9% of penguins prefer mountain dew over seven up. IT'S A FACT YOU CANNOT DENY A FACT LOL!

70% of all statistics are false.

;)

Dustancostine
08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Statistics cannot be false, only the inferences made by them.

kylejack
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Statistics cannot be false, only the inferences made by them.

Sure they can. 97% of all Ron Paul supporters are Truthers. <---- False statistic

njandrewg
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
the problem with this moving...is that usually there is 1 subforum that EVERYONE goes to...yes there are subforums where people can discuss specific things...but if you want to get everyone's attention you post in the main forum.

I can say frankly that almost 99% of my time was spent in the main forum. Yes I would have looked at strategies for success or media matters once in a while...but the bulk of my time was spent in the main forum. Why? Because like someone mentioned ....I don't have the time to go through 50 different subforums nitpicking the news.

And yes other forums move some wrongly categorized stuff...but its never as bad as what happened today...and usually it happens when someting is blatantly miscategorized.(not the case here)

Move it back the way it was, and stop messing with whats popular.

Bradley in DC
08-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Okay, this is just silly now and degenerating to personal slights.

If one has suggestions on how to reorganize the forum--their is no "going back" to the "one main forum" that never existed--follow Josh's thread. Josh and Bryan were discussing with us how to rearrange and improve the forum before they went to Iowa. If nothing else, it's good that people have learned about some of the exisiting cool features on the site such as "new posts" etc.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

[Oh, and most Ron Paul supporters are not truthers based on volunteering at HQ answering emails and calls and letters and regular conversations with campaign and Congressional staffers.]

Dustancostine
08-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Sure they can. 97% of all Ron Paul supporters are Truthers. <---- False statistic

No that is a false statement not a false statistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistic

A statistic (singular) is the result of applying a function (statistical algorithm) to a set of data.

A statistic is an observable random variable, which differentiates it from a parameter, an unobservable quantity describing a property of a statistical population

--Dustan