PDA

View Full Version : So, What is the right forum???

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
No offense, but this forum's description is

"News and analysis of Ron Paul's 2008 campaign."

the "General Politics / Other" is for stuff not related directly to the campaign.. (Or at least that's what everyone was led to assume.)

What exactly is going on, and why is it important to separate all of the late breaking stories?

Just wondering, Chris

Ron Paul Fan
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Just read the forum descriptions to get your answer! This topic will be moved soon as well! I applaud whoever is finally taking control and policing the forum. It's been way too cluttered of late. Keep it up mods!

McDermit
08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
We need more categories.. or better descriptions.. or something.

All the moved threads in particular are ridiculously annoying.

Delivered4000
08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
The more you divide the forum, the less activity you get. That's a fact. I say we concentrate our efforts.

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
It is very annoying. If most people don't go to other forums then moving the thread kills it, especially for cooperation threads.

--Dustan

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Besides, I noticed all of the posts are being moved to the forum with the 9/11 sub forum.. Is that really where you want everyone to "gather" from now on, as opposed to the forum that has all of the important announcements stickied on the top???

Delivered4000
08-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't we have a nice little revolution going on here?

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I also just went and checked the forum count. And after the move onslaught the amount of people in this section went down from 126 to 80, a decrease of 33%, while the other sections kept the same amount. This is killing the forum.

--Dustan

Dustancostine
08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I also just went and checked the forum count. And after the move onslaught the amount of people in this section went down from 126 to 80, a decrease of 33%, while the other sections kept the same amount. This is killing the forum.

--Dustan

Down to 70 now.

r3volution
08-23-2007, 05:54 PM

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ron Paul News & Discussion
News and analysis of Ron Paul's 2008 campaign

General Politics & Other
Open discussion on Miscellaneous Ron Paul topics, the '08 election, polls to vote in, politics and whatever suits you

There ya go...

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Also, what good is the Dewey Decimal System if the librarian just let everyone toss the book in one great big pile?

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
OK, well that doesn't change the fact that all of the important stickies and announcements on this site are in this forum, and the forum you are now pointing everyone too has 9/11 truth at the top instead...

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I mean, seriously, at this point it would make more sense to change the one line forum descriptions rather than moving every single thread...

Please, think about it... Move everything and tick a lot of people off, or change the description line.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Non-registereds can't see hot topics

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I mean, seriously, at this point it would make more sense to change the one line forum descriptions rather than moving every single thread...

Please, think about it... Move everything and tick a lot of people off, or change the description line.

Well, I don't have Admin rights, only Mod privileges... I can only use the tools I've been given.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I rarely look at any other section besides this one. If they start moving everything all around I will not hunt things down. Instead I will not be able to participate actively.

Electrostatic
Well, I don't have Admin rights, only Mod privileges... I can only use the tools I've been given.

Then make a note of it and have a poll, Please, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is insane.

In the last hour you have all but taken over this site without asking the opinion of the people who posted all of the content, and you just admitted that you are not the site admin.... Please.

Bryan
I've been in favor of some adjustments to prevent the need for moved threads, I've talked with Josh some. It's great having a sub-forum that is good for general hanging out in, latest news, etc but then it's also good for the more casual readers to be able to find the best info without sifting through all the chat. Post your ideas- otherwise, FF20x is right.

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 06:05 PM
I thought that's what the "best of ron paul" forum was for?

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I rarely look at any other section besides this one. If they start moving everything all around I will not hunt things down. Instead I will not be able to participate actively.

Then use the New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) link.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Then make a note of it and have a poll, Please, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is insane.

In the last hour you have all but taken over this site without asking the opinion of the people who posted all of the content, and you just admitted that you are not the site admin.... Please.

I'm not being argumentative either.

Look at RPN&D right now. Pretty much all of the moves are done by me.

Go to page 2, however. All those moves were done by Josh.

Just following Admin's lead.

So please, everyone, don't take it personally. It's not personal.

Just following the boss's (Josh and Bryan's) example.

Thanks. :)

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
bryan-

a "campaign tracker" forum dedicated to posting news related to the workings of the official campaign (appearances, speeches, mail list mailings, etc.)

a "meetup tracker" forum for meetup groups to collaborate between cities on area and national projects

a "grassroots tracker" forum for people to discuss ideas that are in the development and implementation phase

a "new ideas" forum for people to toss their new ideas

a "political discourse" forum b/c you know we love it so much

within this a "hot topics" forum

hot topics should include all media conspiracy/war discussions as well.

explicitly state on each forum not to complain about the threads' subjects but to debate rationally for/against the issue at hand or do not bother (at risk of being booted forever).

inibo
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Then use the New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) link.

Or Quick Links/Today's Posts. That's all I ever use except for Search. It allows you to follow the active thread regardless of which forum thay are posted in.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought that's what the "best of ron paul" forum was for?
:) Unfortunately it's a manual process for the mods to make it work. I've suggested to Josh to considering dropping it, but who knows.

I'm sure someone else has a better idea on how to make things work- the forum is growing (freedom is popular) so we should assure the sub-forum format works.

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
also, would there be a way for a thread starter to lock their thread if it is going to get hijacked or they will not be able to actively influence its direction?

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I've had enough experience on a lot of different forums to know the following things are universally true:

- Over-moderation always decreases the population of a forum and in some cases destroys it
- Moving threads to different sections more than rarely only annoys and confuses users, and kills threads
- Telling people to "read the rules" accomplishes nothing - first of all, you can't make people read the rules...second of all, not everyone will agree with the rules. It doesn't help to dismiss them and drive them away from the forum.

Let's follow the message of Ron Paul and practice freedom, and encourage minimal interference from the moderators. Freakin' leave us alone and let the forum serve its purpose.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
bryan-

a "campaign tracker" forum dedicated to posting news related to the workings of the official campaign (appearances, speeches, mail list mailings, etc.)

a "meetup tracker" forum for meetup groups to collaborate between cities on area and national projects

a "grassroots tracker" forum for people to discuss ideas that are in the development and implementation phase

explicitly state on each forum not to complain about the threads' subjects but to debate rationally for/against the issue at hand or do not bother (at risk of being booted forever).

Last I hear from Bryan, they were talking about rearranging the site a little. But, keep in mind that they have other working lives too, so it might take a while. They are working on it.

Until then, please post in the appropriate forums.

Thanks. :)

constituent
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
i was responding to bryan's post in this thread.

go back and read up on it.

thanks!

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I've had enough experience on a lot of different forums to know the following things are universally true:

- Over-moderation always decreases the population of a forum and in some cases destroys it
- Moving threads to different sections more than rarely only annoys and confuses users, and kills threads
- Telling people to "read the rules" accomplishes nothing - first of all, you can't make people read the rules...second of all, not everyone will agree with the rules. It doesn't help to dismiss them and drive them away from the forum.

Let's follow the message of Ron Paul and practice freedom, and encourage minimal interference from the moderators. Freakin' leave us alone and let the forum serve its purpose.

Then take it up with Josh.

Until then, I'm just following Josh's lead.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Agreed. This forum will likely suck ass very soon if this keeps up. How can a Campaign based on Freedom get bogged down in bureaucracy? That's bullshit.

Bluedevil
08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree, who cares what people post in what forum. Especially in a forum full of libertarians.

LibertyEagle
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Geez people, give the moderators a break. Ron Paul News was starting to be a throw all for EVERYTHING, with threads disappearing off the page, faster than one could even read them. If we don't want things moved, then give some thought about where the thread belongs BEFORE you start it.

Perhaps a better forum structure would be beneficial. If anyone has a better idea than what is currently laid out, I am sure the admins will listen, if you come up with a good idea.

Until then, let's be glad these guys were nice enough to provide this place for us. They didn't have to, you know.

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
The main problem I see is that in every forum site every created on the internet there has been ONE and only one "main" 'on topic' forum and one 'off topic' forum...(By on topic, I mean on the topic of the site in general, not as goes by thread name) Everything else is "auxiliary".

This has been true for 100% of all forums I have ever seen or heard about.. It is human nature, and no "good" idea can ever change human nature.

There will be one main forum for Ron Paul stuff, and one main forum for non-paul stuff. Whether that is allowed to happen on this site, or whether this site will be killed by over-moderation and a new site started to replace it is the only question.

I do not want to see that happen, but if people try to make this the first forum in the history of the internet to have it's article evenly distributed between topics it will die. That is the simple, unadulterated, inescapable fact that everyone must take into account before trying to force the users here to follow rules that do not have any chance of working in the first place.

Chris

Nefertiti
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
The more you divide the forum, the less activity you get. That's a fact. I say we concentrate our efforts.

When posts fall of the front page of this forum though, they can be lost forever. Spreading them out among the forums is better. Josh is doing a great job and we should thank him for it.

Nefertiti
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
The main problem I see is that in every forum site every created on the internet there has been ONE and only one "main" 'on topic' forum and one 'off topic' forum...(By on topic, I mean on the topic of the site in general, not as goes by thread name) Everything else is "auxiliary".

This has been true for 100% of all forums I have ever seen or heard about.. It is human nature, and no "good" idea can ever change human nature.

My experience has been the opposite. These forums are the exception to my own experience. Here I feel everyone is too lazy to think about where their post is most appropriately placed. They see the high numbers of people in this forum and fear their post won't be seen in the other forums when the opposite is probably true-their posts will stay on the main pages longer if they are spread out.

Other forums where I participate people put their posts in the right place and they rarely need to be moved. I run my own forums too and people are very well-behaved there too.

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Quick question though, Is there anyway for a mod to post a redirect???
Like with the same effect as a move only backwards? (As in if you see a tread in the 'main' forum you think should be somewhere else, you could put a 'hot link' in that forum?)

Seams like something that should be doable, and then we could have organization AND chaos at the same time in the same place....

tmg19103
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
The move has tanked the fundraising for the Philly Rally insurance to get it going. We had HUGE interest in threads for either Philly or D.C. for a big rally. Philly won out. Wonder if Sematary and I and a few others will be able to keep the interest up with this new layout.

That Philly/D.C. thread was REALLY popular. I wonder if we will be able to get anything going like that now - regardless of what the idea proposed is to help RP win.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
bryan-

Thanks - good input. Anyone else?

There has to be a good balance between a sub-forum structure that everyone is happy with, that is easy to use and doesn't require much moderation but posting in the correct subforum helps, for example it's nice to go check out "Campaign Material" and get a repository of relevant info. Some other sub-forums here are like that as well.

For general discussion I don't think it's that important and our format should change some so there isn't a need to move things.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Leave people alone and the forum will thrive...all the structure accomplishes nothing other than satisfying the OCD urges of a few users.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Leave people alone and the forum will thrive...all the structure accomplishes nothing other than satisfying the OCD urges of a few users.

I agree..FOO TAKE A BREAK...this forum rocked before@!

TruePatriot44
08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Nobody cares about the other forums. Stop moving stuff around.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Quick question though, Is there anyway for a mod to post a redirect???
Like with the same effect as a move only backwards? (As in if you see a tread in the 'main' forum you think should be somewhere else, you could put a 'hot link' in that forum?)

Seams like something that should be doable, and then we could have organization AND chaos at the same time in the same place....
I like your thinking... Doable, but a manual process for the mods if I'm not mistaken.

mdh
At the request of a friend, I posted another advert thread for our chat channel. A lot of people find it cool/useful/whatever. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=13830 is the thread, now in 'General Politics'. I posted it in 'Ron Paul News'. I'm curious how this subject is better suited to General Politics than to Ron Paul news, given that it is a chat specific to Ron Paul? It's not an advert for a general politics chat. :p

Just doesn't seem to make logical sense to me, can someone explain?

ghemminger
Foo Mutiny!!!

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Also, what good is the Dewey Decimal System if the librarian just let everyone toss the book in one great big pile?

Sheer unadulterated mindless piffle. You are a poor moderator. You are simply a control freak and we don't need your military mindset creating detachments everywhere. This is OUR camapaign. It does not belong to you,. WE created this gathering place.. Not you.

I warned your moderrator style would kill the forum the day you got your job and started issuing warnings to people who had made it through several hundred posts without a warning like some small town cop with a speedtrap and a judge to feed wads of cash to issuing speeding tickets for one mile an hour over violations. Even detuning the radar to get entirely legal drivers.

Jeesh..Some people just do not have a clue about freedom of ideas and exchange. They want to regiment creativity and interaction. Is this a revolution or a military barracks???

Randy

PrimarilyPaul
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Title implies it is for all news and discussion of Ron Paul.

Description says it is only for Ron Paul campaign news and discussion.

Issues for America
Focusing on Campaign Issues

Title of forum implies it is issues facing America (eg immigration, neo-conservatism, federal reserve, economy, etc).

Description says it is only for Ron Paul campaign issues. (same as Ron Paul News and Discussion?)

General Politics & Other
Open discussion on Miscellaneous Ron Paul topics, the '08 election, polls to vote in, politics and whatever suits you

Title implies it is for general politics (eg war in Iraq, local politics, current administration, current congress, etc) and off topic stuff not related to Ron Paul.

Description says it is for all miscellaneous Ron Paul threads, general politic threads, and off topic stuff.

Either the descriptions need to match the titles or the titles need to match the description. There are two forums for the same thing and Ron Paul threads are being dumped together with general politics and off topic stuff.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree..FOO TAKE A BREAK...this forum rocked before@!

Not your forum.

Not my forum.

Josh's forum.

Josh's forum, Josh's rules.

Not your rules, not my rules. Josh's rules.

Don't complain because we are enforcing them.

Click the link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew), and it all goes back to how you liked it...

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Down with Foo!!! Down With Foo!!! We want his head!!! Hell no we wont Foo!! All the way to MexiFoo!

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Foo just leave shit be and go cash your Romney check.

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Not your forum.

Not my forum.

Josh's forum.

Click the link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew), and it all goes back to how you liked it...

Do you know who I am MR?!! I'm the MAn with Plan and you ain't shi*%&%$&:D

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Geez people, give the moderators a break.

Geez.. Howzabout giving us hard working posters and campaign grassroots workers a break. I will never give bureaucrats a break.. They take way too many without any mandate to do so.,

Hell ..the guy stirred up this hornets nest can do nothing on the ground. He is n Australia.

Randy

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Not your forum.

Not my forum.

Josh's forum.

You sound like a real bright guy.

Nobody should allowed to be a moderator when their only response to doing a horrible job is "he told me to do it."

I don't know or care who Josh is. All I know is you = horrible mod.

FluffyUnbound
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
OK then, what is the proper forum to start a thread asking Josh to take your mod privileges away?

Strategies for Success, maybe?

ghemminger
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Don't MESSwith me FOO - Do you know I CAN have you handed to this mob on a STick...Don't mess with me GOSH Darnit!!

Bryan
08-23-2007, 06:53 PM
also, would there be a way for a thread starter to lock their thread if it is going to get hijacked or they will not be able to actively influence its direction?
You can't lock it but the forum rules are such that:

- It is the topics starters job to post in the correct sub-forum (once we get it squared away. :))
- The topic starter has a degree of ownership of their thread, they can flag posts as off-topic / hijacked and a mod will delete them if so.

So they can influence the direction- but they can't lock (wouldn't be a bad idea for the SW to allow it).

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Foo just leave shit be and go cash your Romney check.

Click this link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) Your complaint is solved.

FluffyUnbound
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Foo, how I personally see the forum layout isn't the point.

The point is that posting items to the main forum makes it most likely that OTHERS will see them.

By attempting to force communication into "proper channels", you'll make people feel like their threads are just dumped into a vaccuum.

Apathy is produced by frustration. If you frustrate people and make them think no one will see their threads, they will stop posting threads. And there's very, very little spam here. There's no need to try to hyperregulate it.

constituent
Where's My Apology Foo?

UtahApocalypse
Click this link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) Your complaint is solved.

No that don't solve shit. It leaves everything more bunched up then it was before.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 07:03 PM

How do you feel being responsible for decreasing viewership of certain threads, particularly those asking for donations critical to this campaign, and thus hurting the campaign overall?

You fail miserably. Your stubbornness is just making you look worse. The sooner you cease and desist the better for everyone, including yourself.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Title implies it is for all news and discussion of Ron Paul.

Description says it is only for Ron Paul campaign news and discussion.

You said it yourself. Campaign news. Not general news.

Issues for America
Focusing on Campaign Issues

Title of forum implies it is issues facing America (eg immigration, neo-conservatism, federal reserve, economy, etc).

Description says it is only for Ron Paul campaign issues. (same as Ron Paul News and Discussion?)

As Bryan stickied in this forum, "the objective of this forum is for users to gain a better understanding of Ron Paul's position on the campaign issues and to create a resource for voters to do the same."

General Politics & Other

Title implies it is for general politics (eg war in Iraq, local politics, current administration, current congress, etc) and off topic stuff not related to Ron Paul.

Description says it is for all miscellaneous Ron Paul threads, general politic threads, and off topic stuff.

Either the descriptions need to match the titles or the titles need to match the description. There are two forums for the same thing and Ron Paul threads are being dumped together with general politics and off topic stuff.

You seem to have overlooked the part about miscellaneous Ron Paul news. Remember that general news I mentioned above? It goes here. So does everything else that doesn't have it's own forum. Don't like searching the individual forums? New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
How do you feel being responsible for decreasing viewership of certain threads, particularly those asking for donations critical to this campaign, and thus hurting the campaign overall?

You fail miserably. Your stubbornness is just making you look worse. The sooner you cease and desist the better for everyone, including yourself.

"Mommy, mommy, I don't want that medicine because it tastes icky." :rolleyes:

It's better in the long run. It might take some getting used to (kind of like a Paul Presidency) for those not inclined to agree with it, but ultimately it's better for everyone.

Click the link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) kthnxbye. :)

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 07:09 PM

It's better in the long run. It might take some getting used to (kind of like a Paul Presidency) for those not inclined to agree with it, but ultimately it's better for everyone.

Click the link. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) kthnxbye. :)

But that does not change the fact that there will be a "grand central".. there always is one... I just kinda happens.

(p.s., unlike some of the other people here I know you really want to do good, I just don't think it is going to work like you think it will.)

Chris

McDermit
08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
ugh, what a pain.

Nihilist23
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
...for those not inclined to agree with it, but ultimately it's better for everyone.

Yes, the powers that be need to decide what is better for everyone...oh wait, that is a policy that has failed since the dawn of man.

You should be campaigning for Hillary Clinton, not Ron Paul.

Razmear
08-23-2007, 07:15 PM

I think piles are a good organizational structure and have used that method around the house for years, and my piles don't even have a search feature.

I liked it the way it was, and agree that over modding by moving posts is going to make it harder to work on projects.

Do you think the Ames ad would have taken off it it was moved to "technical discussions and web projects" an hour after the idea was posted?

I vote for leaving everything in a big pile and letting us wade thru it like we have been, and only using the move function for the so called "hot topics"

eb

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes, the powers that be need to decide what is better for everyone...oh wait, that is a policy that has failed since the dawn of man.

Last I checked, this site was Josh's private property. Thus, Josh is king.

You are here at his grace. Please realize that.

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe move a post but only after 24 hours??

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2007, 07:18 PM

The day Josh says that is the day his site self-destructs. He understands what this Campaign is based on. If he proves me wrong by making this the "Socialist Forums of Ron Paul" I will be first to delete my membership.

Nefertiti
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
You can't lock it but the forum rules are such that:

- It is the topics starters job to post in the correct sub-forum (once we get it squared away. :))
- The topic starter has a degree of ownership of their thread, they can flag posts as off-topic / hijacked and a mod will delete them if so.

So they can influence the direction- but they can't lock (wouldn't be a bad idea for the SW to allow it).

Bryan-Keep up the good work. I appreciate moving the threads to other forums.

The fact that the "news" forum is usually about 100 times as popular as "strategies for success" is really sad. That should be the most popular forum. Shooting the breeze about this online poll and that online poll is not going to get people to the real polls in the primary, successful strategies will.

My suggestion is that you move the forums that deal with the most PRODUCTIVE topics to the top of the list. It is human nature to go to the top forums first and if strategies for success were at the top it would encourage people to engage in more campaigning. I'd also like to see more action in the issues forum. This is where we can share information about RP's viewpoints so that we can speak intelligently about him.

PrimarilyPaul
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks - good input. Anyone else?

Like I mentioned before, there is a serious disconnect from the forum titles and their description. I posted my writing to the president of Switzerland in the "Ron Paul News and Discussion" forum but it was moved to "General Politics and Other" which I don't see how it is general politics or off topic.

Ron Paul News and Discussion
News and discussion about Ron Paul goes here.

Ron Paul on the Issues
Clarifying Ron Paul's stance on issues, some minor discussion

Ron Paul Misinformation
Cataloging misinformation, disinformation, ad hominem attacks and more

General Politics
George Bush, Iraq war, current congress, local politics, libertarianism, socialism

Off topic
Talk about your cars, stamp collections, computers, hobbies, weekend, etc.

foofighter20x
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe move a post but only after 24 hours??

Why wait?

If I wait 24 hours and it becomes popular, and then I move it, we then have the same problem.

If you want the Hot News, latest and greatest, without having to go to each and every forum, then go to New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

Nefertiti
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Agreed. People need to realize that just because we reject a large federal bureaucracy does not mean that private individuals and groups are not allowed to establish and run their own forums in any way that they wish.

You also have the freedom to start your own forums devoted to Ron Paul if you do not like the way these forums are run. But in my experience every time someone decides to create a splinter group because they don't like how another forum is run they tend to create a new hostile environment. Anything created out of hate and anger and spite is doomed to attract that sort of element to it.

ronpaulhawaii
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Sheesh, you go stand on the side of the road for a few hours and all hell breaks loose.

This drastic of a move, with no warning and no discussion seems inconsiderate, almost rude. I have never seen anyone complain about who posts what where, (except HT of course). I have always thought the titles/descriptions made little sense. I have seen complaints that no-one sees posts in the other forums.

People will post where they get the response they are looking for. Perhaps, if things were better arranged, you guys wouldn't have this problem. But they are not, and now you have made it everyones problem.

I do find it ironic that mods think it so important to keep the "news" sub-forum clean and tidy, in a campaign where the problem is the lack of "news"

IMHO, this all would have been much better had the mods posted their intentions, invited discussion on a new format, and given people time to adjust. Instead we have a mod who has tried to herd cats, gotten them angry, and made a hard job harder.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go and hand out more lit at a watering-hole. The road made me thirsy talking to hundreds of people

Bryan
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Like I mentioned before, there is a serious disconnect from the forum titles and their description. I posted my writing to the president of Switzerland in the "Ron Paul News and Discussion" forum but it was moved to "General Politics and Other" which I don't see how it is general politics or off topic.

Ron Paul News and Discussion
News and discussion about Ron Paul goes here.

Ron Paul on the Issues
Clarifying Ron Paul's stance on issues, some minor discussion

Ron Paul Misinformation
Cataloging misinformation, disinformation, ad hominem attacks and more

General Politics
George Bush, Iraq war, current congress, local politics, libertarianism, socialism

Off topic
Talk about your cars, stamp collections, computers, hobbies, weekend, etc.
Thanks- I agree it could be better stated.

mdh
08-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Anything created out of hate and anger and spite is doomed to attract that sort of element to it.

I think you may be reading too much into this if you see anger and spite. A lot of folks are just trying to provide feedback to the management of this site regarding a very large and very sudden change in how things work.

I can only imagine that Josh runs this site to help us to be more effective - and correct me if I'm wrong, Josh - as a very loosely-knit grassroots campaigning team. So it seems reasonable to assume that if that is the case, which I believe it is, that he'd want our feedback on such things. If he in fact does not, then he can feel free to say so, and I'll shut up.

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 07:56 PM

This type of commentary is PRECISELY why you are a lousy moderator. What an effing passive aggressive jerk. Now he is force feeding medicine in his metaphors. Your mindset is standing out in contradistinction to your indicated intentions Mr Foo.

:cool:
Randy

Electrostatic
08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Why wait?

If I wait 24 hours and it becomes popular, and then I move it, we then have the same problem.

If you want the Hot News, latest and greatest, without having to go to each and every forum, then go to New Posts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?do=getnew).

I think he meant after it's been dead for 24 hours.....

Revolution9
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Amazing how this little theatrical episode is a bright illustration of what happens when the self decided PTB start to make it "better" for everyone. But that ~everyone~ does not include those who know damned well they will not like it nor use it.

Pompous jerks like to make things better for everybody just the way they like it.

Best
Randy

CasualApathy
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
... *sigh*

Oh well, I hereby officially protest this new moderation.

-=[FORUM SELF-DESTRUCT INITIATED]=-

Spirit of '76
08-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm going to go do something productive. I'll be back when you kids have stopped fighting and put all the crayons back in the box.

Roxi
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm going to go do something productive. I'll be back when you kids have stopped fighting and put all the crayons back in the box.

this is pretty much how i feel, this is getting rediculous, normally im pretty amused by infighting, but i don't like how people are so quick to jump up and say rude things and its totally unacceptable. acting like kids isn't going to get us anywhere

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...... i think a lot of tension has been built up lately with it being in the attack mode, and some of it has definitely been induced by shills... and by having 4 threads on the exact same subject mostly downing foo is very counter productive... i think ill go to some of the other sections of the forum