PDA

View Full Version : Parts of the Manifesto that Make you Mad

tonyr1988
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Are there any parts of The Manifesto that make you insanely angry? For me, I've had two big ones:

There are things in the Constitution that have been overtaken by events, by time. Declaration of war is one of them. There are things no longer relevant to a modern society. We are saying to the president, use your judgment. [What you have proposed is] inappropriate, anachronistic; it isn't done any more. (p54)

and

Some people in this chamber love the Constitution more than they love the safety of this nation. We should all send President Bush a letter thanking him for protecting us. (p125)

Of course, Paul was quoting people that said those. It made me mad that we have Representatives, in our freaking government, making laws, saying these things.

nate895
05-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Are there any parts of The Manifesto that make you insanely angry? For me, I've had two big ones:

and

Of course, Paul was quoting people that said those. It made me mad that we have Representatives, in our freaking government, making laws, saying these things.

What about the Constitution makes us unsafe if we follow it?

These do tick me off.

Alex Libman
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Under one short-lived dynasty in ancient China, regional rulers had some written charter they had to follow, and before they could take power they had to swear to recite the charter at dawn of every day that they serve, and if they forgot or disobeyed even one character of it they would be flayed alive and dragged through the town by donkeys until dead.

Europe had a similar tradition for corrupt judges:

http://www.alexlibman.com/__imagebucket2/flaying-of-the-corrupt-judge-sisamnes-1167-mid.jpg

kirkblitz
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM
not past chapter 2 yet :(

BillyDkid
05-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Under one short-lived dynasty in ancient China, regional rulers had some written charter they had to follow, and before they could take power they had to swear to recite the charter at dawn of every day that they serve, and if they forgot or disobeyed even one character of it they would be flayed alive and dragged through the town by donkeys until dead.

http://www.alexlibman.com/__imagebucket2/flaying-of-the-corrupt-judge-sisamnes-1167-mid.jpgA little extreme, but I like the premise.

BillyDkid
05-24-2008, 04:16 PM
You know, I think there is a basic lack of understanding between us (generally) and those who think that liberty is a luxury we can only afford when the world is "safe". It goes like this - for folks like me, America is an idea. It is the idea of a country founded and based on the principle of self ownership and liberty and justice for all. For others America is a geographical location, a hunk of real estate and it is the government and the infrastructure and beauracracy. To my mind, once America abandons it's founding principles it is simply not America any more and not anything worth defending. It's just another nation state like every other. America could be located anywhere (although I do happen to like this continent) It is the principles alone and the respect for liberty and the rule of law that makes America, America. You could destroy America completely without touching a single hair on it's head, so to speak. Or another way to look at it is that you can never destroy America as long as the dream that founded it lives in someone's heart somewhere, even if every city lay in ruins.

fatjohn
05-26-2008, 09:36 AM

http://www.alexlibman.com/__imagebucket2/flaying-of-the-corrupt-judge-sisamnes-1167-mid.jpg

LOL i've seen that painting in a museum once. It's indeed extreem but effective.

forsmant
05-26-2008, 09:41 AM
I was angered at all the war powers the administration is using. It is frightening.

Truth Warrior
05-26-2008, 11:11 AM
It really makes me mad that there are only 180 pages and the last few of those are blank. :D oh wait :mad:

Mr. Coolidge
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Just as an alert

There are things in the Constitution that have been overtaken by events, by time. Declaration of war is one of them. There are things no longer relevant to a modern society. We are saying to the president, use your judgment. [What you have proposed is] inappropriate, anachronistic; it isn't done any more. (p54)

The above quote was said by Congressman Henry Hyde of Illinois, who has since passed on...

and

Some people in this chamber love the Constitution more than they love the safety of this nation. We should all send President Bush a letter thanking him for protecting us. (p125)

The above quote was said by Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, who is still there.

tonyr1988
05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I know I'm adding to my own thread, but the Presidential signing statements are utter crap, too. Very enraging....*mad emoticon*

dsentell
05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I know I'm adding to my own thread, but the Presidential signing statements are utter crap, too. Very enraging....*mad emoticon*

You said it all there. They enrage me as well. Bush has given himself the power to become a monarch . . . I wrote my congresswoman complaining about these. She wrote me back telling me not to worry because Congress has oversight -- I returned her letter to her noting on the bottom "Congress has no oversight if the president chooses to abolish it . . ." She does not get it . . . :mad: