PDA

View Full Version : A Vision for Minneapolis

scotto2008
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm interested in people's thoughts on how to leverage our unique strengths to make maximum impact on the GOP convention.

My thoughts:

This campaign has broken ground in new political techniques, with the Internet, meetups, YouTube, poll blowouts, money bombs, blogs, etc.

Conventional wisdom is that the Convention area will be a walled city to keep out revolutionaries like us. Protests will be stifled, media controlled, access to surrounding areas limited, events tightly secured, etc.

But if our sheer numbers are strong enough, we can use the entire city as our staging area. At key times, a full-scale assault on the Convention Castle might be appropriate, but the rest of the time, why not have concerts, meetup conventions, speakers, media briefings, live youtube broadcasts, etc.

Anyone?

RonPaulVolunteer
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Marc and I are talking about bringing the band and throwing a PARTY!!

frdmrdr
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Marc and I are talking about bringing the band and throwing a PARTY!!

Minneapolis is beautiful in September. Perfect weather for an outdoor free concert.

scotto2008
05-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Minneapolis is beautiful in September. Perfect weather for an outdoor free concert.

Much nicer than DC in July...:rolleyes:

Jeremy
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Didn't RP say there would be some sort of a convention for RP supporters nearby as well? Was that NPR or something? I forget

rancher89
05-20-2008, 06:43 AM
He said on his interview with AJ the other day that there will be a rally for RP supporters in St. Paul. I want to know how he is going to pull this off, and where? From what I hear, a "free speech" zone will surround the convention and no one with out permission will be allowed anywhere near the building complex.

He should be able to have some sort of presence inside the building, since he hasn't dropped out of the race

speciallyblend
05-20-2008, 08:14 AM
He said on his interview with AJ the other day that there will be a rally for RP supporters in St. Paul. I want to know how he is going to pull this off, and where? From what I hear, a "free speech" zone will surround the convention and no one with out permission will be allowed anywhere near the building complex.

He should be able to have some sort of presence inside the building, since he hasn't dropped out of the race

where you cannot speak;) gotta love the irony..

scotto2008
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
From what I hear, a "free speech" zone will surround the convention and no one with out permission will be allowed anywhere near the building complex.

That's where we begin. My point is that we need creative ideas about how to exploit the periphery. The whole city is ours, and we can draw attention away from the lethargic, depressing, half-hearted annointing of McCain, and toward our vision for the future of the GOP.

I'm thinking flash mobs, meaningful publicity stunts, daily revolution press briefings in colorful locations, etc.

Let's brainstorm!

frdmrdr
05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
That's where we begin. My point is that we need creative ideas about how to exploit the periphery. The whole city is ours, and we can draw attention away from the lethargic, depressing, half-hearted annointing of McCain, and toward our vision for the future of the GOP.

I'm thinking flash mobs, meaningful publicity stunts, daily revolution press briefings in colorful locations, etc.

Let's brainstorm!

What's a "flash mob"?

TruePatriot44
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Just a point to note: The convention is in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. The St. Paul police are requiring protest permits and setting up protest routes. Some organization is that is protesting the Iraq war has said that the routes the city has designated are inadequate. Essentially, the route lets you get within 300 feet of the Xcel Energy center, where the convention is. The anti-war group says they have 50,000+ people and that the route is not logistically going to work.

Right now I think Paul said he wants to hold a rally at the University of Minnesota. Thats far away from the Xcel and won't get any coverage. It is probably best if all the Ron Paul people just mingle in with the other protesters at the 300 feet barrier and see if we can break through.

scotto2008
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Just a point to note: The convention is in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. The St. Paul police are requiring protest permits and setting up protest routes. Some organization is that is protesting the Iraq war has said that the routes the city has designated are inadequate. Essentially, the route lets you get within 300 feet of the Xcel Energy center, where the convention is. The anti-war group says they have 50,000+ people and that the route is not logistically going to work.

Right now I think Paul said he wants to hold a rally at the University of Minnesota. Thats far away from the Xcel and won't get any coverage. It is probably best if all the Ron Paul people just mingle in with the other protesters at the 300 feet barrier and see if we can break through.

Thanks for clarifying. Are you from the area?

frdmrdr
05-20-2008, 10:32 PM
what's a flash mob?