PDA

View Full Version : US Government wants to build detention centers for illegals (Concentration camps?)

FrankRep
05-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Immigration agency plans new family detention centers

The federal ICE, which already runs two such facilities, is taking bids for as many as three more. Critics say detaining families is punitive and unnecessary.

Los Angeles Times
May 18, 2008

The federal government is accepting bids for up to three new family detention centers that would house as many as 600 men, women and children fighting deportation cases.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement issued a call for proposals last month and set June 16 as the deadline. New facilities are being considered on both coasts and on the Southwestern border. The agency calls for minimum-security residential facilities that would provide a "least restrictive, nonsecure setting" and provide schooling for children, recreational activities and access to religious services.

Family detention has been condemned by human rights groups and immigrant rights organizations as punitive and unnecessary. But immigration authorities said it ensures that immigrants show up for their court hearings and leave the country when ordered deported.

Full Story:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-detention18-2008may18,0,2430780.story

raiha
05-19-2008, 02:04 AM
I thought they already had 800 camps all rearing to go already.

yongrel
05-19-2008, 02:05 AM
I think it's unnecessary to build camps and detain them, but it's silly to liken this to concentration camps.

youngbuck
05-19-2008, 06:49 AM
I thought they already had 800 camps all rearing to go already.

Not sure about the 800 number (I know I've heard it before, just don't know exactly how accurate it is). But yes, there are many concentration camps already set up in the USA.

So media is just spinning this to warm you up to the idea, when the gov't has been doing it for years.

I'll tell you right now, I'm never going to one...

PatriotOne
05-19-2008, 07:06 AM
The agency calls for minimum-security residential facilities that would provide a "least restrictive, nonsecure setting" and provide schooling for children, recreational activities and access to religious services.

Schooling? Recreational activities? Religous services? Well I suppose the word "detention" is subjective. Could mean 1 day. could mean 1 week, could mean 1 month or it could mean 5 yrs or ???. These detention centers sound like they are going to be slave labor camps with benefits to me. Hispanics are the new black ya know.

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 07:13 AM
These detention centers sound like they are going to be slave labor camps with benefits to me. Hispanics are the new black ya know.

How does your mind jump from schooling, recreational activities and access to religious services to slave labor camps? Seriously, I've always been interested in understanding more about the pathology of the truly paranoid - so explain it to us, please.

PatriotOne
05-19-2008, 07:31 AM
How does your mind jump from schooling, recreational activities and access to religious services to slave labor camps? Seriously, I've always been interested in understanding more about the pathology of the truly paranoid - so explain it to us, please.

Because I can add 2 + 2.

Army Regulation 210–35
Installations
Civilian Inmate Labor Program

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r210_35.pdf

Chester Copperpot
05-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Think about it.. If its only going to detain you for a couple days you dont need any of that stuff... But if youre going to be there for a LONG time, you will need schools, etc...

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Because I can add 2 + 2.

Army Regulation 210–35
Installations
Civilian Inmate Labor Program

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r210_35.pdf

Ah, but they're not "inmates" - they're detainees. Big difference in the law and practically. And where exactly in the 34-page document you linked does it confirm that the presence of schools, recreational facilities, and religious accommodations make this "slave labor" like you said? Which page and paragraph?

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Think about it.. If its only going to detain you for a couple days you dont need any of that stuff... But if youre going to be there for a LONG time, you will need schools, etc...

Depending on the backlog of cases, formal deportation proceedings can take a long time to wind through the courts. Any halfway-competent defense attorney can kick up so much legal dust through discovery, requests for continuance, appeals, etc. that these cases can drag on for months if not years. So yes, I can definitely see the need for schooling, religious accommodation, etc.

In our overly-litigious society, border control is no longer just a simple matter of throwing an illegal's ass onto a southbound bus.

pcosmar
05-19-2008, 08:25 AM
I just have trouble trying to sort out the twisted logic of all this.
We are going to spend MILLIONS to build "detention centers", but can not afford to spend that money to secure the borders from illegal invasion in the first place.
We can not afford the personal to patrol the border, and yet try to prohibit private volunteers from assisting the Border patrol.
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/07/01/22/greenslade.htm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53857
We can not build a fence due to private property rights, but we can take MILLIONS of acres of private land to give to foreign investors to build a tool road through the country, so foreign goods can be shipped more easily from foreign ports.

Somehow the "logic" escapes me.

PatriotOne
05-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Ah, but they're not "inmates" - they're detainees. Big difference in the law and practically. And where exactly in the 34-page document you linked does it confirm that the presence of schools, recreational facilities, and religious accommodations make this "slave labor" like you said? Which page and paragraph?

Walmart Checker: Attention Walmart Associates. Can I get a brain check in posts 9 and 10? Posts...9....and....10. Thank you.

Walmart Associate: No brains there Sue. Posts 9 and 10 are where we keep the turnips.

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Walmart Checker: Attention Walmart Associates. Can I get a brain check in posts 9 and 10? Posts...9....and....10. Thank you.

Walmart Associate: No brains there Sue. Posts 9 and 10 are where we keep the turnips.

Looks like you avoided the questions entirely and went straight to name-calling. Par for the course. And, considering your obvious familiarity with the intricacies of Wal Mart communications protocols, its obvious that you have a great deal of professional insider knowledge about them.

So inquiring minds want to know - are you the guy who cleans the discarded chewing gum off the floors or are you a stockboy?

PatriotOne
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Looks like you avoided the questions entirely and went straight to name-calling. Par for the course.

I've given up on trying to have an intelligent conversation with a turnip :cool:

amy31416
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I just have trouble trying to sort out the twisted logic of all this.
We are going to spend MILLIONS to build "detention centers", but can not afford to spend that money to secure the borders from illegal invasion in the first place.
We can not afford the personal to patrol the border, and yet try to prohibit private volunteers from assisting the Border patrol.
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/07/01/22/greenslade.htm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53857
We can not build a fence due to private property rights, but we can take MILLIONS of acres of private land to give to foreign investors to build a tool road through the country, so foreign goods can be shipped more easily from foreign ports.

Somehow the "logic" escapes me.

Many of your points are along the same lines of what I was thinking.

I don't know what the answer is, but there's gotta be something better than detention centers.

Andrew-Austin
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Why don't you stick to just voicing your opinion on the subject, instead of mocking people.

revolutionary8
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Many of your points are along the same lines of what I was thinking.

I don't know what the answer is, but there's gotta be something better than detention centers.

We have Mexican Military Police bringing tanks over the border in to Texas, aiming their guns at Texas Highway Patrol in order to help drug smugglers over the border, and we are building detention centers for the supposed "illegals".
What can I say?
Thank gosh I don't look Mexican?

amy31416
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
We have Mexican Military Police bringing tanks over the border in to Texas, aiming their guns at Texas Highway Patrol in order to help drug smugglers over the border, and we are building detention centers for the supposed "illegals".
What can I say?
Thank gosh I don't look Mexican?

Sounds like a big freaking mess down there, it's hard for us Yankees to comprehend it.

Ideally, I'd like a solution that is humane and doesn't cost us millions or billions of dollars--is that even possible?

First notion is that I'd like to take away the benefits that illegals receive, but then there's a part of me that would never, illegal or not--refuse someone necessary medical care. At minimum, they certainly shouldn't receive welfare or a free education. Other than that, what can we really do aside from punishing those who hire illegal immigrants? Perhaps that, combined with no benefits aside from urgent, necessary medical care is as close to a humane answer as I can come to.

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Why don't you stick to just voicing your opinion on the subject, instead of mocking people.

Why don't you mind your own business?

asgardshill
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I've given up on trying to have an intelligent conversation with a turnip :cool:

So you ARE a stockboy, eh? Oh well, the world needs ditch-diggers too.

revolutionary8
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a big freaking mess down there, it's hard for us Yankees to comprehend it.

Ideally, I'd like a solution that is humane and doesn't cost us millions or billions of dollars--is that even possible?

First notion is that I'd like to take away the benefits that illegals receive, but then there's a part of me that would never, illegal or not--refuse someone necessary medical care. At minimum, they certainly shouldn't receive welfare or a free education. Other than that, what can we really do aside from punishing those who hire illegal immigrants? Perhaps that, combined with no benefits aside from urgent, necessary medical care is as close to a humane answer as I can come to.

I think the main focus should be on repealing NAFTA. Fortunately we have splinter groups making that their main issue, and NAFTA hatred is bi-partisan and muti-racial. Then of course, stopping the TTC.

I am with you, no one should be turned away from health care, but the incentives are there to keep them here. Pretty soon, Mexicans won't be the minority (about 45% right now), when that happens, will we get minority benefits?
As I have always believed, the real "fight" will begin in Texas.
They have moved two new combat brigades there in case some are not aware- and they aren't patrolling the border.
asgard asked how one becomes paranoid. ^^^ there you have it.

amy31416
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I think the main focus should be on repealing NAFTA. Fortunately we have splinter groups making that their main issue, and NAFTA hatred is bi-partisan and muti-racial. Then of course, stopping the TTC.

I am with you, no one should be turned away from health care, but the incentives are there to keep them here. Pretty soon, Mexicans won't be the minority (about 45% right now), when that happens, will we get minority benefits?
As I have always believed, the real "fight" will begin in Texas.
They have moved two new combat brigades there in case some are not aware- and they aren't patrolling the border.
asgard asked how one becomes paranoid. ^^^ there you have it.

I just hope that reasonable means are tried first, such as the ones I suggested and your suggestions to repeal NAFTA and halt any plans for the TTC.

Whatever president we get next will, unfortunately, make it worse as far as I can tell, I think all three are pretty similar on the illegal immigration issue.

dirknb@hotmail.com
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
The border is wide open. People cross back and forth across it freely pretty easily. There are border patrol checkpoints roughly 20 to 50 miles along most highways heading away from the border. However, even some of those have easy bypass routes. The amount of money necessary to build and maintain those detention centers could easily more than cover the cost of securing the border. The powers that be don't give a shit about stopping illegal immigration. The erasure of the border is what they want and are working towards. Welcome to the NAU.

PatriotOne
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
So you ARE a stockboy, eh? Oh well, the world needs ditch-diggers too.

Wow. I am impressed with your deductive reasoning powers. PatriotOne has heard intercom messages in a grocery store before, i.e., PatriotOne must work at Walmart. I'm going to have to start calling you Sherlock Holmes :eek:

Just got home from work at Walmart. Turnip avatars were on sale so I thought I would pick one up for ya :).

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/Yekt40/turnip.jpg

AutoDas
05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
You conspiracy theorists make great fiction writers.

Prisons are already concentration camps, a concentration of convicts.