PDA

View Full Version : Republic Vs Decmocracy, What's the Difference?

ClayTrainor
05-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Ive been trying to figure out exactly what the difference between a Constitutional Republic and a democracy is.

Im still pretty confused as to what the difference is.

From what i read a republic is where the people elect representatives and those representatives elect the officials.

that seems to explain the delegate process to me. Why do alot of people on these forums say that America is no longer a consitutional republic?

could someone please clear up my understanding of the difference between a democracy and republic?

Randy-
05-18-2008, 02:10 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6732659166933078950&q=overview+of+america+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=81&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

evilfunnystuff
05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
the simplist way nive heard it put is

democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb deciding lambs for dinner

in a republic the wolves would have to respect the lambs right to life liberty and the persuit of happiness

brandon
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Anything can happen in a democracy. In a democracy, if 50% + 1 people vote to make free speech illegal, then that is what happens. A constitutional republic has a constitution that says, even if 99% of the people voted to make free speech illegal, it wouldn't matter. The constitution says that we shall have the right to speech regardless of if a majority doesn't want it.

Democracy is a collectivist idea where the collective majority forces their will on the minority.

A republic protects the rights of the individual, regardless of if you are in the majority or minority.

pcosmar
05-18-2008, 02:38 PM
A democracy is rule by a majority.

A republic is an affiliation of groups/states.

A constitution is the rule and guide of that affiliation.

Our Constitutional Republic was established as a group of states that agreed to abide by a set of rules(constitution) that protect the rights of the minority (individual) from the whims and passions of the majority.

At least that was the Idea, long ago.

newyearsrevolution08
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
2 wolves killing a lamb is the simplest explanation given to you? wild but it works I guess...

SIMPLE

we are a one party system the republic

We don't need a democratic side to "alter" or "assume" our constitution as ANYTHING other then what is written OR what we can amend. We don't need it, we don't need to be in categories in the least.

People vote SOLELY on political party and it really is sad BUT they will vote for dem or rep BEFORE candidates actual stances.

Whatever you call it we don't need 2 OR 3 or 4 for that matter as far as parties. We have ONE party that needs to get back to where it needs to be .

dirknb@hotmail.com
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6732659166933078950&q=overview+of+america+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=81&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Watch the video Randy recommended for the best explanation of the differences.

FrankRep
05-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, the video "Overview of America" explains the differences between a Republic Vs a Decmocracy.

mdh
05-18-2008, 03:05 PM
A republic is a sort of conglomeration of states, like a confederacy or a union (I can only assume these terms fell out of favor following the 1870's).

Democracy is a means of creating and/or approving law.

You can have a democratic republic, or a wholly undemocratic one. What we have now is a representative republic, where the representatives are (ok, sort of...) democratically elected.

You can also have a democracy or a semi-democracy that is a single nation-state and not a republic.

Minestra di pomodoro
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Anything can happen in a democracy. In a democracy, if 50% + 1 people vote to make free speech illegal, then that is what happens. A constitutional republic has a constitution that says, even if 99% of the people voted to make free speech illegal, it wouldn't matter. The constitution says that we shall have the right to speech regardless of if a majority doesn't want it.

Except if 50% + 1 people vote to amend the Constitution to abolish the right to free speech.

newyearsrevolution08
05-18-2008, 03:23 PM
A republic is a sort of conglomeration of states, like a confederacy or a union (I can only assume these terms fell out of favor following the 1870's).

Democracy is a means of creating and/or approving law.

You can have a democratic republic, or a wholly undemocratic one. What we have now is a representative republic, where the representatives are (ok, sort of...) democratically elected.

You can also have a democracy or a semi-democracy that is a single nation-state and not a republic.

Is this the simplest explanation you got? I got confused for a bit.

Seriously though and even people within our own group want to create MORE PARTIES to try and build up as well.

A republic 100% following the constitution is all that is needed.

Keep fighting for Liberty!

WRellim
05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
What the terms are supposed to mean (in the "classic" sense as the founders understood them):

Republic = Government LIMITED by Law (Constitution being the pre-eminant, overriding law).

Democracy = Government by Majority vote w/o limits (i.e. a lynch mob run by demagogues).