PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft Prevention Act of 2007

Pepsi
05-18-2008, 03:52 AM
House bill H.R.220, short-titled the “Identity Theft Prevention Act of 2007,” introduced by Rep. Ron Paul on January 4, 2007, purportedly would:

reduce identity theft by prohibiting the use of a Social Security number for any purpose other than for specified Social Security and tax purposes;

prohibit the federal government from establishing a national ID or uniform identifier system; and

prevent federal agencies from using federal grants, contracts, or funding (the carrot and stick strategy) to compel or blackmail states into adopting uniform ID standards that would create a de facto national ID system.

The establishing of a national ID card has far-reaching ramifications, with the draconian potential that someday every citizen might be required to use a trackable national ID card in order maintain a livelihood or function in society. Furthermore, the REAL ID rebellion among the states over federal requirements to make state driver's licenses serve as a national ID card demands the fullest possible debate in Congress on the entire range of legislative options, including the plan of H.R.220. This bill should not be swept under the rug by a committee.

Help get H.R.220 out of committee and to the House floor for a vote. Ask your congressman to cosponsor H.R.220 if he or she has not already done so

http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11379986

american.swan
05-18-2008, 04:47 AM
I like the name of it.

Focus on the name. Identity theft is a huge problem in some places. Use that angle to get this passed. Because I doubt any other angle will work.

newyearsrevolution08
05-18-2008, 05:34 AM
What has Ron Paul ever been able to pass?

american.swan
05-18-2008, 05:58 AM
What has Ron Paul ever been able to pass?

Good question...I'd like to know too. One bill he did get passed was the 1985 coinage act that gave us the current silver and gold eagles we enjoy today.

christagious
05-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Just when i thought I couldn't like him any more than I already do. Thanks Ron!

forsmant
05-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I am afraid of identity theft. There has been two identity theft rings that were busted recently in Omaha area.

newyearsrevolution08
05-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Good question...I'd like to know too. One bill he did get passed was the 1985 coinage act that gave us the current silver and gold eagles we enjoy today.

Only reason I ask is, people want to try so damn hard to get more congress in office correct? SO what happens if we can get 2 or 3 ron paul candidates in office.

Can 3 people give or take (assuming we can get a couple in congress) actually get something passed?

Just trying to realize the bigger picture here WHILE keeping perspective.

I am going to look into it more.

christagious
05-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Only reason I ask is, people want to try so damn hard to get more congress in office correct? SO what happens if we can get 2 or 3 ron paul candidates in office.

Can 3 people give or take (assuming we can get a couple in congress) actually get something passed?

Just trying to realize the bigger picture here WHILE keeping perspective.

I am going to look into it more.

I was questioning the same thing. Getting a few Ron Paul republicans in office doesn't seem like it'll get much done, unless in 2010 and 2012 we can get EVEN MORE in. But if you have a president like Bush who does what he wants with or without congressional approval then something like this is pretty useless, "this" being trying to get more like minded people in Congress.

I guess we'll see. I think the best thing to do is to get into local and state office because at least then you can try to refuse implementing police state measures in your state or town, etc.