PDA

View Full Version : Bills In Committee

Romantarchist
05-17-2008, 03:13 PM
So, I know over the years, there's been a bill repeatedly introduced in the House called the "Enumerated Powers Act", which asks the Congress to cite the constitutionality of every bill that is voted on. It's never been debated or voted on. It's just stayed in committee.

Ron Paul of course has also introduced legislature every 2 years to abolish the IRS, abolish the Federal Reserve, withdraw from the United Nations, etc...these bills are all great, but they all seem to go straight to committee.

Then Dennis Kucinich introduces articles of impeachment against Dick Cheney. He tried to get it sent to the floor for debate/vote, but it just went straight to committee.

So, here is what I'm asking:

-what determines if a bill ever escapes committee? Is because the Representatives on certain committees have way too many bills in front of them to consider, so they have no choice but let some slide by? Or is it because the Representatives on certain committees have determined that these pieces of legislature written by Paul & Kucinich are much less important than the legislature that allows the rest of Congress to continue screwing us over.

Or is there a third/fourth option I'm missing? Thank you to anyone who explains these things. :D

CurtisLow
05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
-what determines if a bill ever escapes committee?

Good question... I don't know?