PDA

View Full Version : Lawson takes on establishment politicians

Jeremy
05-16-2008, 02:40 PM
http://blog.lawsonforcongress.com/2008/05/15/legislative-attention-deficit-disorder/
You must be kidding me.

I first started studying how Washington works when I was in medical training, back when HIPAA was being born. Remember HIPAA? The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act? As I watched Congress empower unelected bureaucrats and lobbyists to share my protected health information with anyone having a financial interest in my care, “You must be kidding me” became a regular refrain.

But then I discovered a much more serious medical problem in Washington. Despite the fact that Congress loves providing drugs for our senior citizens, even at risk of national bankruptcy, they have thus far failed to diagnose or treat their own illness: Legislative Attention Deficit Disorder, or LADD.

The most common symptom of LADD is failure to focus on a single topic when creating legislation. Instead, legislators become excited when reading legislation that is likely to pass. As a result of this excitement, their minds begin wandering to the grab bag of promises they have made to special interests. In the final stages, this inability to concentrate on the legislation’s original topic culminates in spasmodic and capricious additions and amendments that are completely unrelated, dangerous, and costly.

Today’s example is typical: Senator Dianne Feinstein added an amnesty provision for up to 1.35 million illegal agricultural workers to an Iraq supplemental appropriations bill:

At today’s markup of the Iraq supplemental appropriations bill, the Senate Appropriations Committee committed an outrageous act of disrespect for our men and women in uniform and to the citizens of this country by adopting an amendment by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) that gives amnesty to illegal-alien agricultural workers. The copy of the amendment obtained by NumbersUSA indicates a maximum of 1.35 million illegal aliens, plus their families, could obtain “emergency agricultural worker status” for a five-year period. However, the amendment also provides for an adjustment of status, which paves the way for permanent legalization.

You must be kidding me.

Folks, this is just plain bad government. Unfortunately, it’s up to you to fight back. Regardless of your stance on the Iraq war or illegal immigration, is it appropriate for legislators to hijack legislation in this fashion? Shouldn’t we insist that our legislators embrace common sense, and limit legislation to one subject at a time so votes can accurately reflect the opinions of our elected representatives?

Please, help restore common sense to Washington. I have three requests:

1. Visit NumbersUSA to learn more about this affront to good government, and how to contact your Senators today to fight this back-door attempt at amnesty for illegal aliens. As NumbersUSA notes, there is no need for amnesty for agricultural workers — there already is an H-2A foreign agricultural worker program that provides growers with unlimited temporary workers.
2. To address the broader problem of LADD, learn about the One Subject at a Time Act, which requires Congress to limit legislation to a single subject. I support the One Subject at a Time Act, along with the Enumerated Powers Act, Read the Bills Act, and Write the Laws Act, as nonpartisan “good government” reforms that would drastically improve our legislative honesty and effectiveness.
3. Donate today to our Congressional campaign. In the week since the primary, I have been focused almost entirely on fundraising. We are preparing a large, targeted mailing and need your immediate help today!

You heard the man. Let's donate (https://www.lawsonforcongress.com/donate/) to him. And this is in fact why I am posting this, we need to provide him the funds to take the next step with his campaign. Don't worry about any rumors of "moneybombs"... I am helping plan this and it won't be happening any time soon. Donations need to happen now... moneybombs some other time. Between now and then, let's give a jump start to the campaign. Right now =)

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3005/24882342217cd15fa04dvc0.jpg

The old way of corrupt and lack-of-common-sense politics will be dissolved. Freedom forever.

yongrel
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome writing. Lawson in 08!

freedom-maniac
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Good for Dr. Lawson. He seems to be the Liberty Candidate with the highest chance of winning, and I'm glad to see he's ready to diagnose the problems with D.C. I'm sure Dr. Paul did well enough, but maybe the American people need an opinion from a second doctor.

itshappening
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Good for Dr. Lawson. He seems to be the Liberty Candidate with the highest chance of winning,

he's one of the best candidates but i hear the district is heavily democrat and a 20 year incumbent! so it's a tough ask, he needs a lot of help..........

Jeremy
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
he's one of the best candidates but i hear the district is heavily democrat and a 20 year incumbent! so it's a tough ask, he needs a lot of help..........

yes, but that's why this would be such a great win

and I don't think it's very hard to get dems to vote... the hard part is getting the message to them which costs money. but Price gave war power to Bush and Lawson is anti-war... so why shouldn't they vote for him? it won't be easy, but out of all the candidates I think he might be the most involved... this is the kind of campaign I want to help with (even though I live in CT)

amy31416
05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
yes, but that's why this would be such a great win

and I don't think it's very hard to get dems to vote... the hard part is getting the message to them which costs money. but Price gave war power to Bush and Lawson is anti-war... so why shouldn't they vote for him? it won't be easy, but out of all the candidates I think he might be the most involved... this is the kind of campaign I want to help with (even though I live in CT)

I feel exactly the same way. In addition to the donations I can manage, I'd love to actually go to NC and help out with campaigning.

Perhaps we need to make some preliminary plans?

Jeremy
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I feel exactly the same way. In addition to the donations I can manage, I'd love to actually go to NC and help out with campaigning.

Perhaps we need to make some preliminary plans?

hey, why not go to NC? people were going to Iowa and New Hampshire for RP =)

amy31416
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
hey, why not go to NC? people were going to Iowa and New Hampshire for RP =)

Exactly. I just have to keep in touch with the BJ campaign people who come on here and ask about it, perhaps we could get something with some planning.

I don't just want to drive to NC, show up at his campaign HQ, "HELLLOOOOOO!" :p What I'm thinking is that his campaign can do a little something to organize out of towners to make the most of their time and give any interested parties a little direction.

Knightskye
05-17-2008, 12:48 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5445/lfcmm7.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

acroso
05-17-2008, 01:33 AM
This guy is now my second favorite politician.

MRoCkEd
05-17-2008, 07:26 AM
This guy is now my second favorite politician.
same here - a very close second behind rudy giuli... oops this isn't the 9/11 forums

rodo1776
05-17-2008, 07:26 AM
This guy is Awesome. And I understand the district is heavy dems but part of the reason the incumbent wins heavily is that he is never challenged. SO it is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

This time is different. A real candidate (Lawson) who is working hard and has a great background and experience and us helping a bit.

Lawson can win and he won his primary so now he can attack and run against the incumbent. remember that the whole scenario can be different in November.

DealzOnWheelz
05-17-2008, 07:33 AM
him and murray are knocking balls outta the park

constituent
05-17-2008, 07:54 AM

he needs to attack conyers for his handiwork in establishing legislation to take peoples' homes for simple mp3 possession.

the democrats will destroy themselves easily enough. the work has already begun.

ScottA
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I am glad he spoke out about this...I sort of wish some in congress now would as well.....BUT....don't you think the Dems added this into the bill so it would get killed...so that they'd have to start bringing the troops home....then they could play the political chess game with the Republicans who would "not support" funding.

I think it is a big power play by congress with our troops lives.

Jeremy
05-17-2008, 09:38 AM
This guy is Awesome. And I understand the district is heavy dems but part of the reason the incumbent wins heavily is that he is never challenged. SO it is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

This time is different. A real candidate (Lawson) who is working hard and has a great background and experience and us helping a bit.

Lawson can win and he won his primary so now he can attack and run against the incumbent. remember that the whole scenario can be different in November.

He was challenged before (last year the Republican got 30%), but obviously never against as much grassroots as this. And I'm hoping he doesn't campaign that much because he can retire now.