PDA

View Full Version : How to buy gold and silver locally?

Thrashertm
05-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I live in the Chicago area, and am interested in obtaining some gold and silver coins. Anyone know a good local place? How do you ensure that you aren't being sold a coin of lesser quality? Is there some way to weigh the coin? Would seem like that's impossible because the volume is somewhat variable depending on the alloy and coin mold.

Thanks

davver
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd use APMEX personally.

Otherwise you have to go to a local coin dealer. I believe there are numastic societies that certify those people.

NinjaPirate
05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
My gripe with APMEX is they charge too much for shipping... Plus I was getting better prices from the local dealer.

How do you check if they've been certified?

OptionsTrader
05-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I use "California Numismatic Investments" aka golddealer

http://www.golddealer.com/bullionpage.html

buffalokid777
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
If you are looking to purchase locally, I would suggest this link.....

http://coininfo.com/index.php?op=searchdealers

Just type in your zip and see what they have in the database of coin dealers near you.....I found some great ones near me I didn't know about where I have bought silver and gold for slightly under spot....generally the coinshops that are older and have passed through a generation or two of a family's hands I've found seem to offer the best deals if you buy a bunch....Good Luck and Happy Shopping for hard currency :)

bander87
05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I think dealers can be great. The longer they've been in business the better.

Check online, maybe check your yellow pages.

If you are lucky and have more than 1 local dealer, check out both of them, regardless if the one you find first is great.

purepaloma
05-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Try out a few different local shops by buying a small amount from each. Get used to how they transact, prices, etc...........then with the one you feel most comfortable with ---- build a relationship by being a "regular" and buy in tranches (even small amounts over and over)........

It will pay dividends later on when the lines are out the door.

Good Luck.