PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron Paul Run for Senate?

Knightskye
05-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Should he run for Senate? He could be with Murray, and be more powerful (1 out of 100, instead of 400).

Senator Paul? :D

Alawn
05-15-2008, 10:33 PM
YES!!!!!

I think he could easily win a senate race in Texas. He would have a lot more power there too. When is the next seat up? I really hope he considers it.

AndyWhite
05-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes. I actually called his congressional office and suggested this about a month ago.

OptionsTrader
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Texans are largely neocon drones and would never vote for him across the state. It saddens me to say that because I have lived there most of my life but it is true at this moment in time. NH, WA, NV and other great states are much more aware of reality.

crazyfingers
05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
He's been down that road before...

From wikipedia:

In 1984, Paul chose to run for the U.S. Senate instead of re-election to the House, but lost the Republican primary to Phil Gramm.

Tarzan
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
NO!!!!!

Like all other states, Texas has two senators; Kay Bailey Hutchinson and John Cornyn.

Hutchinson has announced she will be leaving the senate. Her term expires in 2012, though she may resign earlier. Should she resign her position, it would be filled for the remainder of her term by appointment, not election.

Cornyn is running for reelection during this election cycle. He has won the Republican primary, though he is considered vulnerable. (Cornyn once got into a shouting match with McCain during an immigration meeting... score points for Cornyn ;))**

A senate election is some time away... and Ron Paul did no better in Texas (overall) than in any other states. In fact, he did much better in PA. His candidacy for the senate would not be a sure thing. It would be an uphill battle that he would most likely lose.

He should remain in his house seat as he seems popular with his district and is likely to retain the position for as long as he chooses to run.

** not to indicate I agree with Cornyn's position... because I don't. We need enforcement of our laws, not new legislation.

Kludge
05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
NO!!!!!

Like all other states, Texas has two senators; Kay Bailey Hutchinson and John Cornyn.

Hutchinson has announced she will be leaving the senate. Her term expires in 2012, though she may resign earlier. Should she resign her position, it would be filled for the remainder of her term by appointment, not election.

Cornyn is running for reelection during this election cycle. He has won the Republican primary, though he is considered vulnerable. (Cornyn once got into a shouting match with McCain during an immigration meeting... score points for Cornyn ;))

A senate election is some time away... and Ron Paul did no better in Texas (overall) than in any other states. In fact, he did much better in PA. His candidacy for the senate would not be a sure thing. It would be an uphill battle that he would most likely lose.

He should remain in his house seat as he seems popular with his district and is likely to retain the position for as long as he chooses to run.

Well said (Nice to see you again)

Knightskye
05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
and Ron Paul did no better in Texas (overall) than in any other states

Dude, that's running for president.

Running for Congress, he got 71% of the vote.

BKom
05-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Dude, you'd have to know his district to know that it is very unlike the rest of Texas. He'd get the same amount of support for senate as he did for president. Winning his own district for the senate would still make him a loser state wide. Just ain't gonna happen.

Minestra di pomodoro
05-15-2008, 11:31 PM
He tried before and lost, no name recognition.

Knightskye
05-15-2008, 11:34 PM
He tried before and lost, no name recognition.

Yeah, he tried in 1984 (which is hiliarous) - 24 years ago!

Now he does have name recognition, and the internet, and a fucked-up government.

Alawn
05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Give me a break. Running for senate is nothing at all like running for the presidency. He has way more name recognition than anyone else he would run against. The presidency only has big names. His senate opponents would be nobodies. He won with a huge lead in his congressional race. It would likely be similar in a senate race. He could focus all of his time in that one state anyway. Many many people who would not vote for him for president would jump at the chance to vote for him for senate. And his best chance would be in Texas. People know him there and like him. His run for senate in 1984 is totally different too. He is much much much more well known know than he was back then. He would easily win.

At this point it is too late to try for the seat open this year. He should run for the next open seat in 2012. He wouldn't lose his congressional seat if he lost. You can run for both in Texas. I don't think he will run again for president in 2012 even though a lot of us would like him to so he should at least try to run for Senate. It is a million times easier to win than the presidency.

skyorbit
05-16-2008, 12:03 AM
NO!!!!!

Cornyn is running for reelection during this election cycle. He has won the Republican primary, though he is considered vulnerable. (Cornyn once got into a shouting match with McCain during an immigration meeting... score points for Cornyn ;))**

** not to indicate I agree with Cornyn's position... because I don't. We need enforcement of our laws, not new legislation.

So the next Senate election in TX is 4 years from now, just like the PResidency.

And I don't think he can run for Senate and House at the same time, like he can President and House.

TRacy

skyorbit
05-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't think he will run again for president in 2012 even though a lot of us would like him to so he should at least try to run for Senate. It is a million times easier to win than the presidency.

I don't think so. That loop-hole is only if that 2nd campaign is for President.

Tracy

DFF
05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
As the ranking member of the House Banking Commitee; Dr. Paul has the opportunity to grill, arguably, the most powerful man on Earth -- the head of the Fed, Ben Bernanke.

And with Bernanke's recent unprecedented remarks explaining why the Fed exists; it seems Ron is getting through to the 'sheeple'.

So I say stay put.

sophocles07
05-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes & he'd win.

Knightskye
05-16-2008, 01:34 AM
As the ranking member of the House Banking Commitee; Dr. Paul has the opportunity to grill, arguably, the most powerful man on Earth -- the head of the Fed, Ben Bernanke.

And with Bernanke's recent unprecedented remarks explaining why the Fed exists; it seems Ron is getting through to the 'sheeple'.

So I say stay put.

But Bernanke doesn't listen to him. We're the ones who are impressed and watch the videos hundreds of thousands of times - unless you can give proof of Paul's grilling of Bernanke getting through to sheeple.

Imagine Ron Paul with the power to filibuster.

Kilrain
05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
As the ranking member of the House Banking Commitee; Dr. Paul has the opportunity to grill, arguably, the most powerful sock-puppet on Earth -- the head of the Fed, Ben Bernanke.

FYP

Knightskye
05-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Fixed Your Post

TITYP

...Think I translated your post. :rolleyes:

Kludge
05-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Itwsstltatt, Iwbsc. Gi, K&k.

^^Trying to save RPFs bandwidth.^^

Knightskye
05-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Itwsstltatt, Iwbsc.

[quote]Gi, K&k.

"Get it, Kilrain and Knightskye?"

o.o Couldn't get the first part.

notsurewhykludgeiscopycattinginsteadofvotinginthep ollorarguinghisposition

Kludge
05-16-2008, 02:21 AM
[quote=Kludge;1458511]Itwsstltatt, Iwbsc.

"Get it, Kilrain and Knightskye?"

o.o Couldn't get the first part.

I Think We Should Start Talking Like This All The Time. Good Idea, Kilrain and Knightskye.

notsurewhykludgeiscopycattinginsteadofvotinginthep ollorarguinghispositionp

Already did, I think. Edit: I agreed with what Tarzan said.

Knightskye
05-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Already did, I think. Edit: I agreed with what Tarzan said.

You also added a 'p' at the end of my quote, for some reason. :D

american.swan
05-16-2008, 03:01 AM
But Bernanke doesn't listen to him. We're the ones who are impressed and watch the videos hundreds of thousands of times - unless you can give proof of Paul's grilling of Bernanke getting through to sheeple.

Imagine Ron Paul with the power to filibuster.

Exactly why he'd lose. There is NO way right now that RON PAUL would win a Texas Senate race with A) voting machines and B) the whole GOP against him. He'd loose in a primary to a neo-con pumped up with Fed money. The NEO-CONS would never in a million beers allow Ron into the Senate.

What Ron should have done is run for the senate FIRST with a watered down message years ago and win. He shouldn't have ever run for the House. Now every Neo-con knows him and would do everything to keep him out of the Senate.

Knightskye
05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
There is NO way right now that RON PAUL would win a Texas Senate race with A) voting machines

You mean like, the same voting machines people used when they voted him in the congressional primary? :rolleyes:

and B) the whole GOP against him

I think the media might have an anti-Paul bias, but I don't think it's all of the Republican Party. Besides, we could educate people in Texas (and everywhere else in this massive country of ours) with The Revolution: a Manifesto.

He'd loose in a primary to a neo-con pumped up with Fed money.

Just like Chris Peden did...n't... :rolleyes:

The NEO-CONS would never in a million beers allow Ron into the Senate.

Neocons sound like they've had too many beers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPp9K1JUCs), in their ads.