PDA

View Full Version : #122 - Congress Hoarding Oil?

AlexMerced
05-15-2008, 01:12 PM
http://causeoffreedom.blogspot.com/

Hey Guys,

As you know I try to keep up with whats going on, and today I find out congress has recently voted on a resolution to stop hoarding oil... then my jaw dropped. This means this whole time the government has been using our tax dollars hoarding oil manipulating the oil supply, effecting the prices. So we can pay our taxes so they can raise prices, and then pay more taxes on the higher price.

Are you starting to see why I have a problem with government intervention in the supply and demand of resources.

Now they keep talking about the benefit of a tax holiday, how about getting rid of the tax altogether? How about we stop using our tax dollars to have our troops protect oil drilling around the world so these oil companies don't have to pay for their own security? How about we stop subsidizing corn which detracts R&D dollars from more viable alternative fuels and pushes food prices up?

Worried about Fuel Prices? Then stop asking how the government can help, and start asking how you can get them out your business so nature can takes it's course.

What does that mean?

Oil Prices rising at a natural rate due to NORMAL market pressures (not those created by government manipulation) will force the development and wide scale of adoption of alternative transportation and fuels.

This is nature and the free market at work, a TRULY free market is nature at work.

LittleLightShining
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I was listening to a discussion yesterday and from what I gathered the official line is that the govt needs the strategic oil reserve to fuel the military in the event of an emergency. I had never really thought about it from perspective of that blogger and I'm gonna have to ruminate on that one for a while. The military aspect seems completely plausible to me. The other reason I thought maybe there is a strategic oil reserve is in the event that there is complete breakdown in the oil market there would be some fuel to get us through a crisis.

acptulsa
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I was listening to a discussion yesterday and from what I gathered the official line is that the govt needs the strategic oil reserve to fuel the military in the event of an emergency. I had never really thought about it from perspective of that blogger and I'm gonna have to ruminate on that one for a while. The military aspect seems completely plausible to me. The other reason I thought maybe there is a strategic oil reserve is in the event that there is complete breakdown in the oil market there would be some fuel to get us through a crisis.

And yet we also have a strategic reserve of untapped oil in Louisiana. Seems they were buying (and driving up the price by using our tax dollars to bid against us motorists) when they already had some reserves and it wasn't critical...

AlexMerced
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
lol, but without governemtn manipulation we'd be off oils years ago and we wouldn't have to hoard for a crisis.

HOLLYWOOD
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Strategic Petroleum Reserve Storage Sites/Locations/info:

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/spr/spr-sites.html (http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/spr/spr-sites.html)

***Note

Due to elevated security concerns, detailed information on SPR sites has been removed from this web site. <=== Per the DOE (Dept. of Energy)

kathy88
05-15-2008, 05:47 PM

As long as the emergency isn't bringing the troops to St. Paul for the convention to taze the crazy Paultards..... LMAO

torchbearer
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Alex, we missed you!

And government hoarding oil isn't what is making gas prices high.
It's called inflation mixed with the importation of the majority of our energy needs.

The gov. can release all their oil onto the markets tomorrow and it would be a drop in the bucket.

raiha
05-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Hi Alex,
Nice to see you back. We did indeed miss you.