PDA

View Full Version : Lets tell them to vote NO on H.R. 1955 and S. 1959

Pepsi
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Let's tell Senator Mike Crapo and Larry Crage to vote NO on Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007

Message I got back from Senator Mike Crapo.

Thank you for contacting me regarding domestic threats of terrorism in the United States. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I share your interest in protecting Americans from terrorism and other catastrophic events. The events of September 11, 2001, awakened Americans to the threat to our national security. It is imperative that Congress works together with the Department of Homeland Security and other intelligence-gathering agencies to protect our citizens from those who wish to cause us harm and disrupt our way of life.

As you may know, Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) introduced the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act (S. 1959) on August 2, 2007. This legislation would amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to include provisions concerning the prevention of homegrown terrorism. In addition, a grant program would be established to prevent radicalization and homegrown terrorism in the United States.

S. 1959 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security. As I am not a member of this Committee, I look forward to reviewing the Committee's recommendations. I recognize that this, or any legislation affecting our civil liberties, should be considered carefully. Any initiative that seeks to protect Americans from terrorist threats must be appropriately balanced to safeguard our civil liberties. This balance is critical to an effective homeland security policy.

In the post-9/11 climate, we as a nation must remain vigilant and resolute in our determination to work together to make our nation safe. The United States must continue to meets its obligations at home and abroad to ensure that our citizens are adequately protected from further attacks. Please rest assured that I will continue to work with my colleagues in Congress in supporting legislation that protects the safety of all Idahoans and Americans from those who wish us harm.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, <a href="http://crapo.senate.gov/">http://crapo.senate.gov</a>.

Sincerely,
Mike Crapo

United States Senator
MDC:LT

Click on the link for the JBS Action center to send a message to tell them to vote NO on this bill.

http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=10596231

RSLudlum
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I was just read the Summary of the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 and love the wording used, esp. in this part:

DHS Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Officer to develop and implement an auditing system to ensure that compliance does not violate the constitutional and civil rights or civil liberties of any racial, ethnic, or religious group, and to include audit results in its annual report to Congress.

notice anything there...we've come to the point that the majority of the public believes Civil Rights has to do with groups/collectives and not individuals..I fear we are doomed because it seems the natural tendancy for people is to associate themselves with collectives...How exactly do we battle something like this in the age of "a global village" psychology?