PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Arlen Specter/NFL situation?

mmink15
05-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I was tired last night and, in a concentrated effort to escape thinking about anything remotely political, I turned on the NFL channel to see what was going on this offseason. I was surprised to see an Arlen Specter press conference on the NFL channel talking about the New England Patriots possibly cheating. Personally, I don't care about the "scandel" itself just the government intervention. I thought it would be a good opportunity to post on an NFL forum or two. Not necessarily about Ron Paul, but the issues he stands for being portrayed through this incident of government involvement.
So, since I'm not a very gifted writer I'll ask to get some ideas from my fellow forum members. Hit me with your thoughts on whether or not this intervention is warranted by the Constitution or not, whether it's waste of tax dollars or justified, and other insights of that sort.

Thanks

acptulsa
05-15-2008, 11:51 AM
They screwed up the war and they screwed up the economy and they screwed up the schools and now they're trying to distract you from all that by screwing up your favorite game.

ARealConservative
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
our federal government was founded primarily to ensure the integrity of children's games......especially played by adults

</sarcasm>

ryanmkeisling
05-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd rather see them intervening in the lives of the NFL than mine. It is a total distraction. They know American men care way to much about football so they will use that to distract, either that or the disappearence of a child or teen..... Those athletes are all cheaters anyway and there is no integrity in their sports they are simply contests to see who can sell the most consumer goods, not real athletics.

V4Vendetta
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Arlen Spector under what authority do you think you have the right to investigate a "game"?

That treasionist bastard has done nothing but side track the American people and put on shows.

This is another example of him just doing what he's told.

JMann
05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Didn't the Congress and Major League Baseball agree that Congress would have some oversight of baseball after the 'eight men out' scandal?

asgardshill
05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Arlen Spector under what authority do you think you have the right to investigate a "game"?

The legal fig leaf used by Spector is the government's granting of anti-trust exemptions to the big organized sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.) Or to put it another way, if you take the king's coin, you must do the king's bidding.

cayton
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Specter can go to hell. From what I've seen, the people running the NFL are 10x more competent than the average elected federal officeholder.

ScottA
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I wrote Specter a letter a few months ago about this very issue. He claims the 1961 Sports Broadcasting Act (which gies the NFL a special antitrust exemption).....he goes on to say that the NFL because of this special exemption has a responsibility to maintain the integrity of the game. He goes on to mention...the similarity of the steriod scandal in MLB and their need to hold hearings about it.

When I saw this yesterday it really got my blood boiling. With all that is happening in the USA and around the globe and this is all he seems to be spending his time on I think it is time Specter is replaced. He says he is going to run in 2010 at the age of 80. I commit to making sure we have a RP republican to replace him.

I love football on Sundays...but taping of someones game to ge an advantage...who gives a crap. Let the NFL handle it or they will lose fans. I guess the real reason is the Fed. Gov. will lose revenue if the NFL screws up. Perhaps they are simply looking out for their little income producer called the NFL. (no idea if the income is true...just my opinion)

By the way the two times here in PA that I've even heard his name was for the NFL thing and when he was on The Daily show promoting his book.

His checkered past in public service is enough for me to suggest he be replaced next go-around.

weslinder
05-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Specter is a media whore who cares about nothing except his ugly mug on television. He knows that investigating MLB's steroid problem. or Roger Clemens lying about taking a legal substance (HGH), or cheating in the NFL will get him face time. This is a dog and pony show, nothing more, nothing less.

moostraks
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
The legal fig leaf used by Spector is the government's granting of anti-trust exemptions to the big organized sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.) Or to put it another way, if you take the king's coin, you must do the king's bidding.

Kind of like religious groups, get in bed with the government and see where it gets you....

Rhys
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
He should play for the Lions. We can't get any worse.

Oh wait, he's in congress. What the hell's he doing all up in the NFL's business?

acptulsa
05-15-2008, 01:28 PM
He should play for the Lions. We can't get any worse.

Oh wait, he's in congress. What the hell's he doing all up in the NFL's business?

I don't know, but putting him in a Lions uniform and starting him would probably solve the problem pretty quick.

alaric
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
This stupidity just reinforces what a complete schmuck this dickhead is:p

Grandson of Liberty
05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
So Congress, the upstanding body of individuals that it is, wants to investigate and punish people for cheating? Ironic, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Sentient Void
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Fuck this guy. He makes me sick. Using taxpayers money for that bullshit?

It all contributes to the dumbing down of America, now lets use people's money to fund more of it!

YUCK!

Rhys
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Actually, I just thought that maybe 100,000 more people will question the role of government out of this

ronpaulitician
05-15-2008, 04:16 PM
1) Anti-trust laws are silly.
2) Anti-videotaping rules are silly.

TruthisTreason
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
He only cares because Comcast pays his bills. They want to negotiate regional contracts. This puppet has strings!