PDA

View Full Version : Eminent domain in my town: what can I do?

Nirvikalpa
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
They're trying to take the Linwood Inn, a family restaurant/bar that has been here since the 1882. It's owned by a couple, and the place has served many a Linden family, and people from all over NJ travel to try it's burger which was voted the best in NJ.

Yosh's Linwood Inn, Linden

Your neighborhood bar is usually a reliable place for a good burger; if the kitchen can't make a burger, what good is it?

Yosh's Linwood Inn is a cheery, NASCAR flag-festooned hangout. The menu includes clams, crab cakes, fish and chips, shrimp Alfredo and zuppa de pesce, among other items. But true to our mission, we all ordered the same thing, and here, at this lively neighborhood bar, we found the day's best burger: plump, juicy, char-grilled to near perfection.

"The best burgers in town," Ted McBride of Woodbridge had e-mailed us.

They're better than that. The White Manna will always have a place in our Munch hearts, minds and stomachs, but the Linwood Inn did your big fat all-American burger best.

Our first mission of Munch 2006 was over. The Munchmobile -- call it a salty, but satisfied, Dog -- rumbled toward Route 1 and home.

The owners have been battling ever since they found out their little restaurant/sports bar would be the victim of eminent domain. They had a petition going which received many signatures, submitted it, but everything has seemed to stalled as of late.

What can we (specifically me) do? I am a member of the Castle Coalition - the owners have already contacted them though. We had a petition going, and nothing seem to came from it. Who can I/we contact?

I was going to order them posters from the Castle Coalition.

I know they're having 'Eminent Domain' meetings - but is there anything else we can do? I don't want to see this historic landmark in my town be a victim of eminent domain :( I'll write to whoever I have to, drive wherever I have to, and talk to whoever I have to.

NoxTwilight
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Can it be moved to another location? That is done pretty often in my area (Napa CA) It's a great way to preserve historic buildings that otherwise would be destroyed.

And I have seen them move some pretty old and delicate buildings.

Fox McCloud
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
the owners might not be able to afford it though (moving it).

What is the reason specified for tearing down/moving the building?

Nirvikalpa
05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
From what I've heard, it's because they want to 1) make the street bigger and 2) put up massive apartment buildings - which gets me angry because they just put 2 huge apartment buildings up and they aren't even half full .

No one wants to spend the money for this crap of a town and school system.

I don't think moving it would be possible. It's an old building and the owners are putting all their money on the line to try and save it.

crazyfingers
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
If it's designated as a historical landmark, it may be afforded certain protections that it otherwise would not be. I'd recommend contacting http://www.instituteforjustice.com/ as they may be able to help.

FreeTraveler
05-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Just make sure that any bulldozer that gets within 100 yards of it stops moving. They'll get the message.

On edit: That does not necessarily mean that violent means should be used. Sit-down strikes, piles of junked cars... I can think of lots of ways to protect a building if you can get the support for it.

sratiug
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Post some pictures and more information if you can about who exactly is doing this for whom.

The 2nd amendment was made to prevent this dumb bullshit.

Nirvikalpa
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
^ I will do so ASAP :)

asgardshill
05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
If it's designated as a historical landmark, it may be afforded certain protections that it otherwise would not be.

+1

Considering that the structure has been there since 1882, that's probably the best way to approach this.

acptulsa
05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Find out who's behind it, stick their picture(s) up in and on the place, and put big signs on them saying "I want to tear down your heritage!" Call the local media and see if they'll come take pictures of the display, and if they won't call the media in neighboring towns and let them do it. Circulate petitions of people swearing not to move into those apartments (not like there's a lack of choices). Find out what else these people own and picket them.

Use humor, make spectacles of yourselves, and wage a PR war with them.

tmosley
05-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Yup, get it listed on the National Register of Historic Places. You probably have a local historical society that could help you.

Dr.3D
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
From what I've heard, it's because they want to 1) make the street bigger and 2) put up massive apartment buildings - which gets me angry because they just put 2 huge apartment buildings up and they aren't even half full .

No one wants to spend the money for this crap of a town and school system.

I don't think moving it would be possible. It's an old building and the owners are putting all their money on the line to try and save it.

The owners should not be the ones who would have to pay for the moving of such a building. The ones who what the land it sits on should be the ones who should have to pay to get it moved.