PDA

View Full Version : "Manifesto" being blackballed?

Anti Federalist
05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
From LRC blog:

I just came out of a Books-a-Million store where, under "New Books on Politics" there was no sign of Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto. I asked one of the clerks about it and she said it wasn't even in the store's computer system as a book they've ever carried. I informed her that it was #7 on the NY Times bestseller list last week, and will be #1 this week.

She was apparently upset over this news, and quickly grabbed a copy of the NY Times bestseller list from last Sunday that was near the cash register. She looked at me in a very self-satisfied way and said, "No it's not. It's not on here." After I suggested that she look at the #7 ranking the smirk disappeared from her mug. So that the customers behind me would hear it, I rather loudly recommended to her that if the store's management was interested in making money they might consider the strategy carrying a few copies of the NY Times #1 national bestseller.

Ain't the free-market great! Idiots like the managers of Books-a-Million who substitute their own personal preferences for their fiduciary duty to make money for the corporations' owners will be quickly "punished" with lower profits and maybe even bankruptcy. That won't be good for their careers (and bank accounts).

Meanwhile, Ron Paul supporters should boycott Books-a-Million, just as the store is boycotting The Revolution.

I just got back from flying (ugh) today from NOLA to Boston via Houston.

I looked in three bookstores, all three having displays of NYT bestsellers, both fiction and non-fiction.

Nowhere was Ron Paul's book to be found.

Asking store clerks revealed nothing other than blank stares.

raiha
05-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Which is signal for everyone to keep ringing the bookshops to ask if they have it in stock. Pester them to death.

newyearsrevolution08
05-15-2008, 01:16 AM
businesses are not going to try to NOT sell the book. Come on people...... One thing they will do is FIRST sell a million copies THEN trash it.....

Conza88
05-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Mther fkers. Much like Paines Common Sense, we're going to have to distribute this one.
Or like Atlas Shrugged, by word of mouth. Lets get cracking.

Carehn
05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
I hate selling cabbots deck stain because... well its crap. But i'm not about to dig my own grave telling people they need to go to idontknowlumber to pick it up. The manager sounds like a jackass and its a good thing he/She is spending corporate $$$ and not her own.

Carehn
05-15-2008, 05:55 AM
businesses are not going to try to NOT sell the book. Come on people...... One thing they will do is FIRST sell a million copies THEN trash it.....

Yes the savvy business will.

Bruno
05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I hate selling cabbots deck stain because... well its crap. But i'm not about to dig my own grave telling people they need to go to idontknowlumber to pick it up. The manager sounds like a jackass and its a good thing he/She is spending corporate $$$ and not her own.

Lol. Thanks for the deck stain advice. I'm getting ready to do that soon. :)

Uriel999
05-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Actually I talked to my local BAM just a couple days ago and it is on back order. Try Barnes and Nobles? remember BAM is the crappy big bookstore chain.

Patriot123
05-15-2008, 01:49 PM
The Barnes and Nobles in my area has it way, way, way back in the corner shelf. However, they have Newt Gingrich's book, Barak Obama's book, Clinton's book, McCain's book, and a few others right there in the front.

Anti Federalist
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
The Barnes and Nobles in my area has it way, way, way back in the corner shelf. However, they have Newt Gingrich's book, Barak Obama's book, Clinton's book, McCain's book, and a few others right there in the front.

That was what I saw as well.

Every hack from the "Broomstick with Boobs" to Newtle to the Messiah: prominently displayed.

Ron, nowhere to be found.

And I happen to think that corporate shills will deliberately lose money, rather than promote an idea that is anathema to them.

freelance
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I asked one of the clerks about it and she said it wasn't even in the store's computer system as a book they've ever carried.

I'm quite certain that you can READ!

Mach
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Pick up a stack of the good books and move them up front......

angelatc
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
DH stopped in the bookstore in the Detroit airport and asked for it. The clerk said, "No, I wish we did! But they only send us what's on their narrow list. " Turns out he is a Ron Paul guy.

The bookstore in Chicago's Midway said they were sold out.

Patriot123
05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Pick up a stack of the good books and move them up front......

I would, but they only had one or two copies.