PDA

View Full Version : Which 6 states don't count write-ins???

A Ron Paul Rebel
05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know the 6 states that don't count write-in votes?

hopeforamerica
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
AZ is one of them.

acptulsa
05-14-2008, 11:02 AM
OK is another.

RedLightning
05-14-2008, 11:02 AM
None if a person is not a declared write in candidate.

Carole
05-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I voted yesterday and was told (since we have these wonderful Florida reject voting machines) that I could not write in a candidate. So West Virginia is apparently 100% machines with so called "paper trails". There is NO receipt for the voter and no accurate way to recount-only the paper trails which the machine can manipulate I suppose when it starts swapping votes.

pappy
05-14-2008, 11:15 AM
louisiana does not allow

lasenorita
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Devout supporters of Sen. Clinton are compiling information on that very topic. Each state varies, and terms & conditions apply. For example, my state allows write-ins ...but not for candidates who lost the primary. :(

Write-In Facts By State
http://www.writehillaryin.com/Write_In_Facts_by_State.php

Richie
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Maryland only allows if the candidate files as a write-in.

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Devout supporters of Sen. Clinton are compiling information on that very topic. Each state varies, and terms & conditions apply. For example, my state allows write-ins ...but not for candidates who lost the primary. :(

Write-In Facts By State
http://www.writehillaryin.com/Write_In_Facts_by_State.php

Thanks. However, one isn't voting for "president" but for a slate of presidential electors to the Electoral College so the "sore loser" laws don't apply.

Kotin
05-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Im sure TX is one of them... we are a hard state to get ballot access in.

berrybunches
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
OH- If a candidate runs in a primary and loses there name is not allowed on the ballot (sore loser) but can be written in if the candidate files a declaration of intent

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
OH- If a candidate runs in a primary and loses there name is not allowed on the ballot (sore loser) but can be written in if the candidate files a declaration of intent

Since we are electing presidential electors to the electoral college and since they were not losers in the primary, the sore loser laws do not apply to them. ;)

RIchard Winger is the authority on these questions:
http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/01/12/sore-loser-laws-dont-generally-apply-to-presidential-candidates/

libertythor
05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
South Carolina doesn't allow write-ins on the Presidential level. It is allowed for all other offices.

PathIveMade
05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
There's no space for a write in on a touch screen machine, nor is there a place to write in a candidate on a opti-scan (absentee) ballot here in NE Ohio.

nate895
05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
None if a person is not a declared write in candidate.

PA counts them no matter what they say. They can say "F### you" and it counts.

mdh
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I voted yesterday and was told (since we have these wonderful Florida reject voting machines) that I could not write in a candidate. So West Virginia is apparently 100% machines with so called "paper trails". There is NO receipt for the voter and no accurate way to recount-only the paper trails which the machine can manipulate I suppose when it starts swapping votes.

Uhhh, that's weird. My voting machine had a write-in entry at the bottom of the candidate lists. :p

I'm fairly certain that in WV, for the general election, a candidate must register with Betty Ireland's office as a write-in candidate for votes for that candidate to be counted (and must present petitions in order to appear on the ballot unless nominated by a major party).

skyorbit
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
South Dakota doesn't have writins at all.

TRacy

fletcher
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Since we are electing presidential electors to the electoral college and since they were not losers in the primary, the sore loser laws do not apply to them. ;)

RIchard Winger is the authority on these questions:
http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/01/12/sore-loser-laws-dont-generally-apply-to-presidential-candidates/

But we're not talking about running third party so the sore loser laws aren't the issue. It is whether write in votes will be counted. Many states will not count votes for people that have not filled out the appropriate paperwork.

rancher89
05-14-2008, 05:49 PM
NC allows write ins only if they file for it

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
It would be great if we could do this right:

What is the actual statute in each state?
(for write-in, independent and third party)

What are the requirements and deadlines?
(including filing the slate of presidential electors to the Electoral College)

What I suspect we'll find is that there will be very different requirements and deadlines in different states, and we would offer a patchwork using whatever's best in each place.

Just a theoretical question, academic exercise, of course. ;)

torchbearer
05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
You can't do write-ins in louisiana.

nate895
05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
You can't do write-ins in louisiana.

That's because Louisiana is one of the most corrupt states in the Union.

torchbearer
05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Bradley, here is the fee sheet to get on the ballot in louisiana($500):
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/QualifyingFees.pdf

This is all you need to do to get on the ballot.

Here are the qualifications for electors in Louisiana: http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/Qualifications.pdf

The candidate shall be a qualified elector of the district for which the candidate seeks election. No U.S. Senator,
Representative in Congress or person holding an office of trust or profit under the U.S. shall be elected a
presidential elector

And here is the qualifying date for presidential elections for louisiana (July 9-11,2008): http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/Calendar-2008-elections.pdf

libertythor
05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
That's because Louisiana is one of the most corrupt states in the Union.

I don't think it could be worse than California. Anybody remember Gray Davis's "Pay to Play" campaign contribution system? But a scandal in california isn't made to look as bad in the media.

nate895
05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't think it could be worse than California. Anybody remember Gray Davis's "Pay to Play" campaign contribution system? But a scandal in california isn't made to look as bad in the media.

I used to live in California, that is why I said "one of the" instead of "the." Washington is pretty bad when it comes to elections as well. Not with ballot access, but with counting the vote. It might have improved, but I don't trust King County.

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Bradley, here is the fee sheet to get on the ballot in louisiana($500):
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/QualifyingFees.pdf

This is all you need to do to get on the ballot.

Here are the qualifications for electors in Louisiana: http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/Qualifications.pdf

And here is the qualifying date for presidential elections for louisiana (July 9-11,2008): http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/Calendar-2008-elections.pdf

Excellent, thanks!

THIS is what we need to compile.

PathIveMade
05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
It would be great if we could do this right:

What is the actual statute in each state?
(for write-in, independent and third party)

What are the requirements and deadlines?
(including filing the slate of presidential electors to the Electoral College)

What I suspect we'll find is that there will be very different requirements and deadlines in different states, and we would offer a patchwork using whatever's best in each place.

Just a theoretical question, academic exercise, of course. ;)

Here's the write in statute for OH:

3513.23 Write-in votes.

(A) If an elector voting at a primary election writes in a blank space provided for that purpose on the ballot of one political party under the title of an office for which a nomination is to be made the name of a person other than the persons whose names are printed on the ballot as candidates for the nomination, and if that elector records the vote in the manner provided on the ballot next to the name written, that ballot shall be counted as a vote for the nomination of the person whose name is so written if that person has filed a declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate under section 3513.041 of the Revised Code.

(B) In no event shall a person whose name is written on a primary election ballot be nominated as a candidate for election to an office if the name of no person living on the day of that primary election is printed on the ballot as a candidate for that nomination, unless the total number of votes cast for the person whose name is written on the ballot is not less than that number of petition signatures that would have been required for the printing of the person’s name on the primary ballot pursuant to section 3513.05 of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 2002 HB 445 12-23-2002

3513.04 Filing declaration of candidacy.

Candidates for party nominations to state, district, county, and municipal offices or positions, for which party nominations are provided by law, and for election as members of party controlling committees shall have their names printed on the official primary ballot by filing a declaration of candidacy and paying the fees specified for the office under divisions (A) and (B) of section 3513.10 of the Revised Code, except that the joint candidates for party nomination to the offices of governor and lieutenant governor shall, for the two of them, file one declaration of candidacy. The joint candidates also shall pay the fees specified for the joint candidates under divisions (A) and (B) of section 3513.10 of the Revised Code.

The secretary of state shall not accept for filing the declaration of candidacy of a candidate for party nomination to the office of governor unless the declaration of candidacy also shows a joint candidate for the same party’s nomination to the office of lieutenant governor, shall not accept for filing the declaration of candidacy of a candidate for party nomination to the office of lieutenant governor unless the declaration of candidacy also shows a joint candidate for the same party’s nomination to the office of governor, and shall not accept for filing a declaration of candidacy that shows a candidate for party nomination to the office of governor or lieutenant governor who, for the same election, has already filed a declaration of candidacy or a declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate, or has become a candidate by the filling of a vacancy under section 3513.30 of the Revised Code for any other state office or any federal or county office.

No person who seeks party nomination for an office or position at a primary election by declaration of candidacy or by declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate and no person who is a first choice for president of candidates seeking election as delegates and alternates to the national conventions of the different major political parties who are chosen by direct vote of the electors as provided in this chapter shall be permitted to become a candidate by nominating petition or by declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate at the following general election for any office other than the office of member of the state board of education, office of member of a city, local, or exempted village board of education, office of member of a governing board of an educational service center, or office of township trustee.

Effective Date: 2002 HB 445 12-23-2002; 09-29-2005; 05-02-2006

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Here's the write in statute for OH

I knew I could count on Ohio! :)

Bradley in DC
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
But we're not talking about running third party so the sore loser laws aren't the issue. It is whether write in votes will be counted. Many states will not count votes for people that have not filled out the appropriate paperwork.

Right, separate questions.