PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Einstein letter - Jews not chosen people

ChooseLiberty
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
:eek:

Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people: Einstein letter

Albert Einstein described belief in God as "childish superstition" and said Jews were not the chosen people, in a letter to be sold in London this week, an auctioneer said Tuesday.

The father of relativity, whose previously known views on religion have been more ambivalent and fuelled much discussion, made the comments in response to a philosopher in 1954.

As a Jew himself, Einstein said he had a great affinity with Jewish people but said they "have no different quality for me than all other people".

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this," he wrote in the letter written on January 3, 1954 to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, cited by The Guardian newspaper.

The German-language letter is being sold Thursday by Bloomsbury Auctions in Mayfair after being in a private collection for more than 50 years, said the auction house's managing director Rupert Powell.

In it, the renowned scientist, who declined an invitation to become Israel's second president, rejected the idea that the Jews are God's chosen people.

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions," he said.

"And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people."

And he added: "As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

Previously the great scientist's comments on religion -- such as "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -- have been the subject of much debate, used notably to back up arguments in favour of faith.

Powell said the letter being sold this week gave a clear reflection of Einstein's real thoughts on the subject. "He's fairly unequivocal as to what he's saying. There's no beating about the bush," he told AFP.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080513122249.m3ds3b6j&show_article=1

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
well to be the chosen ones there would need to be a god to choose the ones. and since einstein did not believe in god then that makes sense.

unconsious767
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
"God does not play dradle"

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I disagree with Einstein. Science does not qualify one as a philosopher nor is a that question an irrelevant, stupid or childish one:

Who am I?

What is my purpose in life?

How should I treat my neighbor?

Is there a power greater than us?

Is there something that is transcendent of life and physical existence?

Those important questions are ones that science has, and should have, NO OPINION ON!

I am agnostic and have no issue with people pursuing religion for answers to those questions.

yongrel
05-13-2008, 08:06 PM
http://home.pacbell.net/amsdm/GoofyMelSmall.jpg

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
And government should definitely not have an opinion on it.

Personally I find atheism just as faith based as religion, twice as arrogant, and thrice as illogical.

But I digress.

FrankRep
05-13-2008, 08:12 PM
One man's opinion. whatever...

yongrel
05-13-2008, 08:16 PM
And government should definitely not have an opinion on it.

Personally I find atheism just as faith based as religion, twice as arrogant, and thrice as illogical.

But I digress.

Let's be clear here. There is a difference between Richard Dawkins' atheism, and most people's atheism.

As someone whose name I can't remember said, calling atheism a type of faith is like calling bald a hair color.

But I digress. This isn't a thread to discuss atheism. This is a thread to make fun of the OP's shameless and ceaseless Jew-hating.

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
True. I'm over-reacting. Your point is well taken.

Issues like these do strike a nerve with me though. I'm concerned about the condenscension toward, and downright rise of anti-religious bigotry in this country though.

yongrel
05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Issues like these do strike a nerve with me though. I'm concerned about the condenscension toward, and downright rise of anti-religious bigotry in this country though.

I agree. However I feel that a lot of the negative energies directed toward religion, specifically evangelical Christianity, in this country is the natural result of the religious right's increasng power.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, yeah? Well maybe people getting angry with uberChristians is just the inevitable response to the religious right trying to legislate their own religious morality. I've got no beef with the church down the street until they try to make me read their book.

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Well said Yongrel. One of the few criticisms I had of the Reagan administration was its alliance with the fundamentalist Christianity. Ironic considering more and more religious people I encounter have adapted their faith with science. Granted my experience provides limited anecdote but most religious people I know have integrated science with their faith. For example they feel no threat from evolution but rather accept it as a mechanism of "God's" creation.

religion, as a whole, has come a long way since the dark ages.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
The OP is an anti-semite?

Lovely.

He shall be mocked ceaselessly and with as much vim and vigor as I can muster. Why is it that so many crazy people are anti-semitic?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
a lot of the negative energies directed toward religion

As well there should be

sratiug
05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Let's be clear here. There is a difference between Richard Dawkins' atheism, and most people's atheism.

As someone whose name I can't remember said, calling atheism a type of faith is like calling bald a hair color.

But I digress. This isn't a thread to discuss atheism. This is a thread to make fun of the OP's shameless and ceaseless Jew-hating.

Jew hating because he posts statements from a letter from a jew regarded as the greatest mind in history saying the jews aren't the chosen people, which undermines the entire Christian religion, and he's a jew hater because why?

Perry
05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Who is going to change their current belief system because of this raise your hand.

PatriotOne
05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
As a side note, ya gotta love the google ad at the bottom of the page advertising a kosher torah search.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
As a side note, ya gotta love the google ad at the bottom of the page advertising a kosher torah search.

Mine was some x-rated business opportunity.

What's up with that? ;)

Perry
05-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Mine was some x-rated business opportunity.

What's up with that? ;)

It's called targeted advertising. Google remembers your searches and gears ads towards your interests.
I'm afraid you're giving yourself away my dear.:D

amy31416
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
It's called targeted advertising. Google remembers your searches and gears ads towards your interests.
I'm afraid you're giving yourself away my dear.:D

Ha. Give me a break, I'm single (by choice, dammit.)

It came up again...:eek:

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CJaUjq-znbfEYhDUAxgxMgioC6yPYJKVmQ

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Ha. Give me a break, I'm single (by choice, dammit.)

Hey, I believe you. :) Myself, I could charm half the nation--if I wanted to.

amy31416
05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey, I believe you. :) Myself, I could charm half the nation--if I wanted to.

I sense sarcasm captain.

Thank god I took all those empath courses.

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I sense sarcasm captain.

Thank god I took all those empath courses.

A TRUE Klingon WARRIOR would use operand conditioning with painstiks.

QAPLA!

amy31416
05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
A TRUE Klingon WARRIOR would use operand conditioning with painstiks.

QAPLA!

GEEK! Ha! I knew it!

I use these phrases to fish the likes of you out of hiding. ;)

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
GEEK! Ha! I knew it!

I use these phrases to fish the likes of you out of hiding. ;)

Tread lightly when a Klingon's honor is at stake: Romulan! :p

I'm single because human females are too fragile!

amy31416
05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Do not tread lightly when a Klingon's honor is at stake: Romulan! :p

I'm single because human females are too fragile!

Pfft! It's because you're a chicken.

How's that for psychological warfare?

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Pfft! It's because you're a chicken.

How's that for psychological warfare?

In defense of my honor, I demand trial by combat, preferably with a Bat'leth.

Ahhh Klitus I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?

Zolah
05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Jew hating because he posts statements from a letter from a jew regarded as the greatest mind in history saying the jews aren't the chosen people, which undermines the entire Christian religion, and he's a jew hater because why?

No, because the OP is apparently obsessed with Judaism, frequently argues with known Jews on the forums, constantly posts about Jews and the such and usually has ehh, kinda derogatory comments towards Jews, *gently pats ignore list though*.

Omphfullas Zamboni
05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I sense sarcasm captain.

I really am a charmer. It's just that half the nation and I have had a falling out since half the nation refused to vote Ron Paul. We'll reconcile in the coming years, though--I can feel it.

Then we'll have passionate freedom all over the place; in the House, on the Senate floor, at the Oval Office...

amy31416
05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
In defense of my honor, I demand trial by combat, preferably with a Bat'leth.

Ahhh Klitus I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?

You got it. The plaything I offer you is your own spleen.

Sonowwithyerbadself.

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
You got it. The plaything I offer you is your own spleen.

Sonowwithyerbadself.

You are just a cowardly, fragile earth female. No human female could withstand the Klingon mating ritual!

amy31416
05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I really am a charmer. It's just that half the nation and I have had a falling out since half the nation refused to vote Ron Paul. We'll reconcile in the coming years, though--I can feel it.

Then we'll have passionate freedom all over the place; in the House, on the Senate floor, at the Oval Office...

I've been permanently pissed since New Hampshire. I have a grudge against a state, how ridiculous is that?

Perhaps ridiculously charming. Hard to say. I have to go to sleep.....

amy31416
05-13-2008, 11:03 PM
You are just a cowardly, fragile earth female. No human female could withstand the Klingon mating ritual!

I know it's late, but I'm pretty sure I said "pfft" at some point. That says it all.

G'night! It's way past my bedtime....

Mongoose470
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I know it's late, but I'm pretty sure I said "pfft" at some point. That says it all.

G'night! It's way past my bedtime....

Weakling. However as a true warrior, I do find having my spleen handed to me...intriguing. Honor compels me to commence the ritual by reading you Klingon poetry. taH pagh taHbe'

G'night mates

DrOmphfullas Zamboni
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I've been permanently pissed since New Hampshire. I have a grudge against a state, how ridiculous is that?

Perhaps ridiculously charming. Hard to say. I have to go to sleep.....

Having a grudge against an entire state may be a little collectivist. Remember, your grievance is with each, individual, New Hampshire voter. Carry your grudge that way--it's healthier.

tekrunner
05-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Einstein was clearly an anti-semite

tekrunner
05-14-2008, 01:38 AM
I might be interested in bidding on this letter. Anyone got more info on who's holding the auction?

Hiki
05-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Well it really doesn't take an Einstein to realize those things.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Having a grudge against an entire state may be a little collectivist. Remember, your grievance is with each, individual, New Hampshire voter. Carry your grudge that way--it's healthier.

Dr. Zamboni,

First, congrats on the doctorate, I'm honored to be the first to receive your advice since receiving it. And you're right, I'll take up with each individual NH voter and let them know exactly what I think of them.

Thanks.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Weakling. However as a true warrior, I do find having my spleen handed to me...intriguing. Honor compels me to commence the ritual by reading you Klingon poetry. taH pagh taHbe'

G'night mates

I will say that it's been a while since handing someone their own internal organ has inspired poetic verse. That's the way things should be. Thank you.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Einstein was clearly an anti-semite

That is funny!! A jew who hates jews!! :eek::confused::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

amy31416
05-14-2008, 08:03 AM

I think he means it as a joke. In Jewish culture there is a stereotype within that group of the "self-loathing Jew." The type that longs for WASPy things, like women, culture, food, behavior.

Read some Philip Roth sometime. Raunchy and hilarious.

ChooseLiberty
05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL. But the crazy "Christian" fundamentalists will screech until they pass out about it.

Hey Hagee religious freaks, aren't you going to do some posts pretending to be jewish?

Jebus would be so proud. :D

I'm thinking of starting a religion focused on the head elf from Lord of the Rings with the book as the supreme holy text.

There will be a big rapture when he comes back. We're going to make movies about it. And books. Lots of books.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I think he means it as a joke. In Jewish culture there is a stereotype within that group of the "self-loathing Jew." The type that longs for WASPy things, like women, culture, food, behavior.

Read some Philip Roth sometime. Raunchy and hilarious.

It reminds me of when people were saying Ron Paul was anti-semite. He entire economic philisophy is based on the work of some Jews. Not to mention they are his heroes. Funny stuff. People suck.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
It reminds me of when people were saying Ron Paul was anti-semite. He entire economic philisophy is based on the work of some Jews. Not to mention they are his heroes. Funny stuff. People suck.

Yeah, it's bizarre, my ex-boyfriend called me an anti-semite once (he was and probably still is, Jewish) despite the fact that I'm part Jewish and almost all of my favorite scientists and contemporary authors are Jewish.

Go figure. He's an ex for a reason.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it's bizarre, my ex-boyfriend called me an anti-semite once (he was and probably still is, Jewish) despite the fact that I'm part Jewish and almost all of my favorite scientists and contemporary authors are Jewish.

Go figure. He's an ex for a reason.

Why did he call you an anti-semite once?

amy31416
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Why did he call you an anti-semite once?

Because I called him a cheap bastard (which he was.)

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 10:41 AM

LMAO!!! Hell yeah! Funny stuff.

I think it is messed up that if you feel bad for the Palistinians(sp?) you are considerd anti-semite.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 11:37 AM
LMAO!!! Hell yeah! Funny stuff.

I think it is messed up that if you feel bad for the Palistinians(sp?) you are considerd anti-semite.

I have no loyalty to any country but this one, and it's not blind alliegance either--we're doing more to make things harder on the Palestinians than anyone else. And while bad things come from both sides, we build up resentment by backing Israel blindly.

Kade
05-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Mark Schnitzius, (Atheist Jew) said that...

Richard Dawkins is very misunderstood. He has been painted a sort of Neo-Atheist, when in reality, if anything is new in his atheism, it is the promotion of science as a replacement, which some have considered antagonistic (yet notice that it's not antagonistic to pigeonhole atheists into whatever convenient category religious think they belong).

Dawkins is a scientists who believes that the different manifestations of god have been answered scientifically.. He himself admits to being an agnostic atheist, which most atheists are.. .we are pretty sure there is no god, but not 100%, because that itself is fundamentalism.

As far as a Christian God goes, yes, I'm 100% certain. There is no spirit en kor, no resurrected Jewish zombie, no legitimacy to the bible.. god is not male, not female, not angry, not emotional, not jealous, not loving, not hating... those are human, as animals, emotions.

If there is a god, it is like Einstein's god, or Spinoza's god... or any god that seems completely REMOVED from reality, because reality is itself critical of religion.

So, is Dawkins a fundamentalist atheist, if there is such a thing... no. In that, he would have to demand Atheist rule only, atheism as a teaching guideline in all schools, and to promise people great benefits in an afterlife for their sacrifices...

No. Sorry. Dawkins is just a really smart man, as with Hitchens and Harris, and my own mentor Daniel Dennett.

yongrel
05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
No. Sorry. Dawkins is just a really smart man, as with Hitchens and Harris, and my own mentor Daniel Dennett.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I think Dawkins is a brilliant dude, and I respect him a lot. I just think that his combative and aggressive delivery style gives atheism a reputation for being about hating God. It's not his fault; people just misunderstand his message. Regardless, it is a fad of late to pretend all atheists hate religion and want to kick Jesus in the testicles.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I have no loyalty to any country but this one, and it's not blind alliegance either--we're doing more to make things harder on the Palestinians than anyone else. And while bad things come from both sides, we build up resentment by backing Israel blindly.

Here here!

Yongrel, if you had the chance, would you kick Jesus in the testicles?

Kotin
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM

I promise Jews are cheap as hell.

my parents are horrible penny pinchers..

and I catch myself doing it all the time.

some stereotypes are dead on.. heh.

P.S

nice thread ChooseLiberty ;)

amy31416
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I promise Jews are cheap as hell.

my parents are horrible penny pinchers..

and I catch myself doing it all the time.

some stereotypes are dead on.. heh.

Shhhh....my Grandmother was Jewish and by far the cheapest person I ever met. She re-used plastic wrap. Aside from that she was cool as hell though.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Shhhh....my Grandmother was Jewish and by far the cheapest person I ever met. She re-used plastic wrap. Aside from that she was cool as hell though.

That is some funny stuff!! I need to take some tips. I can't save money to say my life.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 12:31 PM
That is some funny stuff!! I need to take some tips. I can't save money to say my life.

Aside from some of the more quirky things, she was great with money and managed to make investments and scrimp on things that didn't really matter so she could travel and enjoy her life.

It's just that some of the weird stuff--reusing plastic wrap numerous times, never throwing anything away, saving every nut and bolt, giving you socks as a birthday present (one pair), taking all the sugar packets at a restaurant, along with any food or bread left over--it got to be a running joke. After she had a stroke, she started saving burnt-out lightbulbs because she thought she could fix them.

Ahh, I miss her.

Kotin
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Aside from some of the more quirky things, she was great with money and managed to make investments and scrimp on things that didn't really matter so she could travel and enjoy her life.

It's just that some of the weird stuff--reusing plastic wrap numerous times, never throwing anything away, saving every nut and bolt, giving you socks as a birthday present (one pair), taking all the sugar packets at a restaurant, along with any food or bread left over--it got to be a running joke. After she had a stroke, she started saving burnt-out lightbulbs because she thought she could fix them.

Ahh, I miss her.

sounds like my kinda grandma.

in a literal sense as well..

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I dated a jewish girl once,

......recommended.

IRO-bot
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Ahh, I miss her.

Good stuff!!!

Zulf
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty Sure Einstien was either a pantheist or deist.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty Sure Einstien was either a pantheist or deist.

He frequently referred to himself as agnostic (and no, that's not why I'm agnostic.)

Ozwest
05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Those who have Grandparents that lived through World War II , should respect their frugal ways.

They have wisdom.

amy31416
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Those who have Grandparents that lived through World War II , should respect their frugal ways.

They have wisdom.

Agreed. They were also the real environmentalists, recycle, reuse, conserve. My grandmother never would have bought bottled water. Hell, she'd be the one reusing the containers for god knows what.

NaT805
05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
:eek:

Wow, I firgured that out when I was like... 5 years old.